LegacyGT.com

Legacy and WRX share chassis?

they used to be extremely similar back in the BC/BF and GC/GF days. The first impreza's were basically built from the old legacy. they've slowly grown appart since, to the point where i can answer your question with a simple "No".

the engine bays (not including the actual engine) are still more or less identical, but in 1998 the legacy got multi-link rear suspension.

I don't know anything bout the 08 impreza's, maybe they have rear multi link now too..?

Better info. on NASIOC. Last I followed it, the fronts were very close. Either same/very similar with different top hats, or it could be very close on paper, but something that would be a PITA if you actually tried to swap parts...Nobody had tried yet. Rear had different mount points for stuff, so folks thought nothing would swap.

Bilstein HDs+springs of your choice if you want new or JDM take-offs are good options to get that OEM feel that definitely will fit, and both are reasonably priced options.

The 2008 Impreza is all new and now based on the Legacy platform
http://www.cars101.com/subaru_new.html#platforms

I don't know exactly which parts are the same and which are different but most of the posts above ceased to be correct this year.

I've heard that the Imprezas have mostly been based on previous-generation Legacy platforms... I haven't heard that from an authoritative source but would make sense. Both have gotten steadily bigger, and the Impreza has always been a little bit smaller than the Legacy. (It's about time to bring in a new model, smaller than the current Impreza, roughly the same size as the first Impreza to target the same segment that first Impreza was aimed at.)

The 2008 Impreza is all new and now based on the Legacy platform
Lol wut. Like hell! Whoever wrote that must have come to the conclusion by noticing they share some parts. But the new impreza is most certainly NOT based off a legacy. Yes, they have shared tech in each generation, yes both have identical engine bays as i mentioned earlier (all boxer'd subies have the same engine bay, cept maybe tribeca), but that's about it, the impreza hasn't been "based" off the legacy since they ditched the GC chassis.

The reason Im asking is because I loved the 09 WRX suspension when I drove it. So Im curious about some swap possibilities..
Between suspension bits, wheels and tires, you can tune the suspension any way you want.

But they will still feel different because of the lighter weight, shorter overhangs, and other differences in the Impreza, particularly the 5 door.

Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Yes, and no. Old impreza was based on 1st gen. Legacy. Current impreza is based on current Legacy but has revised rear suspension.

Suspension is not interchangeable between 05-09 Legacy and 08+ Impreza - well, maybe front struts, but not rears.

Archived