LegacyGT.com

Which tires are original equipment?

outahere

I haven't heard as much about them, but looks to be about the closest thing to the PZero Nero M&S, Toyo Proxes 4's. The overall marks are a little lower for the Falken than the two I have mentioned too and the Toyo is the same cost. My measurement marks are from 1010tires, as they carry all 3.

The RE92's are a fine tire for the average driver, they are even an acceptable tire for an aggressive driver as long as you recognize their limits. We never get snow here in FL, but we get almost daily downpours and I've never had a problem with the RE92's on any of the SUbaru's I've owned that had them ('91 Legacy Turbo, '00 2.5RS, '03 Legacy SE). Mine will be staying on the car until they are worn out...they are nowhere near bad enough to waste $600 right off the bat, especially when learning the handling characteristics of a new car. And when they do wear out, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's will replace them, just like I had on my last car. [img]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/re92poster.jpg[/img]

I happen to work in the tire buisness, and the RE92 in my opinion realy suck. I have changed countless RE92 model tires off of new vehicles on a daily basis due to customers complaining of poor ride quality. As for these tires being a Z rated tire I could not say what the quality will be. Could someone who owns a new GT tell me if these tires are truely Z rated? If these tires are in fact Z rated I will be willing to give them a shot. It is a shame that Bridgestone does make the G009 in a 215-45-17 due to the fact that they are starting to come stock on new BMW and Mercedes vehicles.

Opie, my family owns 4 late-model Subaru's, 3 of which were new and have had RE92's. None have lasted more than 25k miles and none have been safe to the second winter (the first winter of each were questionable at best.) After the first 15k or so they also were hydroplaning fairly well too. The other family members don't drive very agressively either. Granted, they're better than no-name tires, but there are certainly much better options out there, at least for the performance models such as the WRX and Legacy GT, perhaps the OBXT and FXT as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I replaced the OEM RE92s on my 2002 WRX with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (A/S = all season) Z rating. Those tires made a huge difference in the ride and handling of the car in both wet & dry conditions. They produced less noise than the Potenza RE92s too. Given that I recently traded my WRX for the Legacy GT, I never got to see weather the Michelins would measure up to the promise of improved tread life. They do boast the top tread life rating in the premium high performance all season tire class. I know from experience that the Potenza are really no good after 30k miles. :twisted:

The RE-92's are just about the worst tire ever made in the world. Was driving last night in some heavy rain, and going through even tiny puddles made the car jerk around. I guess I was to used to my Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. Can't wait until I get some better rubber on. But that won't be until the spring, when I get new wheels and some high perf summer tires.

I think I'm going to have a Subaru rep go along with me in my GT during the ride and drive, only modification is that it's shod with Toyo Proxes 4's and show him how much better it handles with those in comparison to RE92's, it's quiet, downright much better, and the Toyo's were a bargain! Ask why we can't get something like that on the GT to make it actually perform.

Oh come on... my mom's 02 RS has RE92s and we get lot sof snow up in Toronto. It worked ok. Just drive safely. There are plenty of 2wd cars with brand names like Tiger Paw or wal-mart stuff that went thru winters with no problems. I think you guys are: a) being too harsh on the tire b) lousy drivers I hope it's the former.

[quote name='Opie']The RE92's are a fine tire for the average driver, they are even an acceptable tire for an aggressive driver as long as you recognize their limits. We never get snow here in FL, but we get almost daily downpours and I've never had a problem with the RE92's on any of the SUbaru's I've owned that had them ('91 Legacy Turbo, '00 2.5RS, '03 Legacy SE). Mine will be staying on the car until they are worn out...they are nowhere near bad enough to waste $600 right off the bat, especially when learning the handling characteristics of a new car. And when they do wear out, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's will replace them, just like I had on my last car. [img]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/re92poster.jpg[/img][/quote] I totally agree.

Actually it's a set of stock wheels with the RE92's still on them. $900 isn't too bad for a set of them actually, but new ones are likely about $300 more. If there isn't a scratch, great deal. Still gotta get rid of those RE92's then! :lol: If only I had an extra $900 laying around so I could pick up the extra set of stockers. Well I do have it laying around, it's just earmarked for this fall.

• 3 weeks later...
So what would be an economical replacement tire for the stock Bridgestone's? You guys are scaring me and with winter coming and the type and amount of driving I do in crap weather I'd rather have a better tire and off these on eBay or something while I can!

Archived