LegacyGT.com

Alternator replacement

this thread is appropiate for my day today. I was driving along and my battery and brake lights came on so i drove it to the dealership and they did a diagnostic and said i blew the altenater and was running on battery and another 5 mins i wld of needed a new batter too. So my car is sitting at the dealership overnite tonite. The cost was 170+ labor so im looking at about 225-250. Should get it back tomorrow.

Haven't done one yet but it's looks real easy. The Haynes books say's to look for the cruise control cable. Just unclip it from the bracket and move it out of the way. To remove the electrical connector.

You may want to replace the belt too. Both P/S and Alternator belt are about $25.00 from the auto parts store.

Just checked Advance Auto Parts, they don't list one.

Check this site some where to see if someone knows where to get one cheaper, if possible.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 7 years later...
Any local auto parts store should be able to get you the correct one. I like using the local guy's, because if there's a problem they are right down the street. And your helping out a local business the money stays locally.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Any local auto parts store should be able to get you the correct one. I like using the local guy's, because if there's a problem they are right down the street. And your helping out a local business the money stays locally.

And there's the core charge. Not easily done when you need to ship the old unit rather than drive to the corner.

…..The cost was 170+ labor so im looking at about 225-250. Should get it back tomorrow.

Only $170 for a OEM alternator (in 2008)? Is it a remanufactured unit?

About 2 years ago, I looked at the price of a voltage regulator from the dealer, and it alone was about $170.

Archived