LegacyGT.com

Engine immobilizer: Yes on GT Wagon, No on GT Sedan !?

Hi to all, I am new here after some time lurking. Looking at he 2005 Legacy brochure scan thread, I have noticed that the GT wagon has a security system with engine immobilizer, while the GT sedan has no immobilizer. This is the only instance I have noted where the GT sedan has downgraded equipment compared to the GT wagon (both not Limited). As I am interested in the sedan, I find this disappointing. Could this be an error in the brochure? I can hardly see the logic behind the deletion of engine immobilizer in the GT sedan. Has anyone confirmed this with a dealer? Thanks

Yet one more reason that wagons rule! :D Actually, I suspect that the more open nature of the wagon means more potential points of entry for baddies. It's probably just another way to justify the wagon being $1,000 more than the sedan. Kevin

[quote name='akm3']So is it just the "GT" sedan that doesn't have the immobilizer or does the GT Limited sedan also not have it? -Allen[/quote] Just the GT sedan. Both GT Limiteds have it. Kevin

I am still disappointed about deletion of this additionnal layer of anti-theft security on the GT Sedan. When I finally get to see a GT Sedan, is there a way to ascertain if it has the immobilizer or not? Something to look for on the car itself, not in the Owner's Manual.

I don't like immobilizer systems! If your original keys get lost or damaged, you have to buy a whole new computer component for the car, which was $3500 on my last car. If you're out of town and lose the key, you're screwed because they can't send you a replacement that will start the car. And with all the potential problems and costs, immobilizers are supposedly not even that hard for a sophisticated thief to bypass -- cars with them are stolen all the time!

[quote name='gurpman']I don't like immobilizer systems! If your original keys get lost or damaged, you have to buy a whole new computer component for the car, which was $3500 on my last car. If you're out of town and lose the key, you're screwed because they can't send you a replacement that will start the car. And with all the potential problems and costs, immobilizers are supposedly not even that hard for a [b]sophisticated [/b]thief to bypass -- cars with them are stolen all the time![/quote] Sophisticated is the key word there. It will deter the average thief, and maybe even the above average thief. How many Subaru Legacy's do you really think will be targeted by sophisticated thiefs?

Yeah you're right, it will deter the average thief... if it didn't, auto manufactureres would not put it in the vehicles. I'm just saying there are pros and cons to the immobilizer, most people aren't aware of the cons, and personally it has caused me some major hassles. Still kind of weird it's in the wagon and not the sedan. Maybe wagon owners tend to pack a lot of gear in the back and would be more worried about theft, I don't know.

Although the lack of a immobilizer is unfortunate, I think in real terms, the feature will not be a deal breaker. I plan on adding a new RF security system to the car once I get it anyway. In terms of insurance the aftermarket system will be just as good. With all things security, the key is to have enough layers to make any thieft time consuming and ultimately make the thief feel their efforts are better spent elsewhere. Cotmfk is right, 99% of thieves are average at best, at the number is exponentially smaller as their skills increase. IMHO, the best security is always the driver, being aware of his/her environment and taking percautions. But when a thieft does occure, any layer of security is better than none.

Just make sure you don't mix up the keys with other cars, if it does have an immobilizer. We made a mistake with our two cars, and after putting the wrong key in, the car would not even start with the right key and the dealership had to do something to clear it. Ah! I am kind of hoping the GT sedan won't have it, since once I get my aftermarket alarm, it won't really matter.

[quote name='agctr']It will be interesting to see if Fuji bring out their own brand security system and mark it down as a full option. Does the USDM cars get Datadots ?[/quote] Not likely that FHI would do that, but hey, you never know! :P As far as datadots, I don't think USDM cars get that. They look intresting from what I gather, and looks to be a good theft deterent.

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer aftermarket personally. When you make a few million cars and they all use the same security system, when one system is comprimised, the door is open for all the rest with the same system. An aftermarket system will let me customize the layers so that it is harder for the thief to know what they need to do to bypass it. Which mean more time they'll have to spend figuring it out and that's always a good deterent.

Generally, attributes that make a car a theft risk are desirability, sheer numbers (making the parts worthwhile to nab) and joyrides. The Legacy, while desirable to us, isn't to a thief. The numbers won't be sufficient to cause anyone undue concern, either. Ford will sell more red F-150s than Subaru will sell Legacies, and joyrides... Oh, yeah...let's rip off that manual transmissioned wagon and go cruising the boulevard. :lol: Kevin

Archived