LegacyGT.com

Average cost to tint your Legacy?

OCDetails

I'm in the market for a tint job on my car. The last time I had a car tinted was last year on my wife's Accord. It cost me about $150 I think. It didn't have those funky little quarter windows that we have though. I'm curious what you guys paid for your tint before I go shopping around.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$349 for ForumulaOne's Pinnacle Series. That film is fully ceramic and has higher specs than all the other fully metalized tints, including UV transmission, etc.

Pinnacle 35

UV 99.5%

Heat Rejection 52%

Glare Reduction 60%

http://www.formulaone.com/

This was done at LA Tint in Manassas, VA http://www.latint.com

They did a good job except for one bubble, for which they have a lifetime warranty (including fading, cracking, peeling, bubbles, or otherwise looking like crap), and I'm going to get replaced next time I'm in the area.

Oh, and I know it goes for most things, you get what you pay for. The $125 jobs are most likely dyed film and not metal films, and NO WAY a ceramic film. These are what you see turn purple and crack.

BTW, the ceramic films will not interfere with our radio reception like some have reported metalized films will do.

msb: 185$??? where?

there's a place down in glen burnie that does it for 125$. they did my cousin's honda accord, and my 2 old cars.

hmm...did not know that. I got it done at winners window tint in rockville. i know its a little higher than most, but they do a good job and have a good reputation.

I had my windows tinted for $150 6 years ago and they have not faded or turned purple. There is good high quality tint out there that doesn't cost a ton of money. Llumar is a highly respectable brand when it comes to tinting and it also carries lifetime warranties against fading, bubbling, cracking, or peeling. Its the cheap PepBoys tint jobs that are purple and crack in a year. I've never had a tint job fade or crack when I have bought high quality tint material. I agree that you get what you pay for. ...most of the time. Sometimes you pay too much for what you get. I'm not saying that this ceramic tint stuff isn't worth $350, but you can't say that all tint jobs that are reasonably priced are crap. There is high end, low end, and the end that the rest of us get which is somewhere in between.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I had my windows tinted for $150 6 years ago and they have not faded or turned purple. There is good high quality tint out there that doesn't cost a ton of money. Llumar is a highly respectable brand when it comes to tinting and it also carries lifetime warranties against fading, bubbling, cracking, or peeling. Its the cheap PepBoys tint jobs that are purple and crack in a year. I've never had a tint job fade or crack when I have bought high quality tint material. I agree that you get what you pay for. ...most of the time. Sometimes you pay too much for what you get. I'm not saying that this ceramic tint stuff isn't worth $350, but you can't say that all tint jobs that are reasonably priced are crap. There is high end, low end, and the end that the rest of us get which is somewhere in between.

Of course, I did not say all $150 jobs are crap, just that there is a tendency towards lower quality. I would just suggest everyone do research on their tint before purchasing, as the OP is doing, to make sure they get what they want, and I did, and I most definitely feel it was worth it. Afterall, I just spent a ton of money on the car, I want to make sure it only gets the best.

Just as you know in the detailing biz.... Zymol Concours is amazing, but there is a point of diminishing returns, but some people still choose to pay for that kind of quality.

EDIT: haha, you are the OP. Anyways, in short, throw my numbers into the average ;-)

Of course, I did not say all $150 jobs are crap, just that there is a tendency towards lower quality. I would just suggest everyone do research on their tint before purchasing, as the OP is doing, to make sure they get what they want, and I did, and I most definitely feel it was worth it. Afterall, I just spent a ton of money on the car, I want to make sure it only gets the best.

Just as you know in the detailing biz.... Zymol Concours is amazing, but there is a point of diminishing returns, but some people still choose to pay for that kind of quality.

EDIT: haha, you are the OP. Anyways, in short, throw my numbers into the average ;-)

Fair enough. ;) I've got a high end and a low end now. I guess I can expect somewehre around two bills to get it done.

Its odd to see 'Zymol' and 'Quality' in the same sentence. :lol: If you knew what I know about what is in Zymol, then you might rethink that one. They make a lot of money on clever advertising. They slap a huge price tag on substandard product and people think that because they are paying $600 or $1500 for wax then they are getting the best. I have a jar of Zymol Vintage (the $1500 one) and my $14 jar of S100 does a better job and lasts longer. Its like people who spend bukoo bucks on a Jaguar that ends up spending 80% of its time in the shop. lol Anyway, I see what you are saying. Definitely good points. :cool:

OCDETAILS BLOG

I got mine done at Auto Trim Design. They're on ~3500S West Temple here in Salt Lake. I had them do the clear bra and tint at the same time. They do all the work for Mark Miller Subaru, so they gave me the dealership price. It was $150 to have the legacy tinted.. and $400 for the clear bra.

MD's legal limit is 35% but with a black interior, it'll make it a couple more percent darker. Here's what 35% looks like ... I think the place that did mine used ... Johnson? The company emblem looks something like:

J O H N S

S

S O N

I had regular black on my honda and bronze on my rx7.

glamour05.jpg.d9eb1d0fac5eba521bd0aae493a5a7c8.jpg

I had 20% on the back and 42% on the fronts on my last car. It had black interior too. Not as black as my Legacy, but dark enough that even when you tried to look in the car you didn't know what you were looking at. ;)

I'm ordering HIDs next week and then a car cover. Tint will be next on the list after that. I can't stand the dust anymore. My office is still under a little construction and my car is getting way dustier than I want it to be.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived