LegacyGT.com

AccessPort stock map - Location Saved?

Mr. Sinister

Hello all,

I just did the stage 1 flash and can't seem to find where it saved my stock map. The only one I see is the one I downloaded 'Stock Style Mode XXv103.ptm'.

Will the AP overwrite this one or does it put it someplace different? I just want to save the map to disc to guarantee it won't get lost/erased.

This is an interesting question to me as well -- to take my car in for the oil-line recall, I wanted it stock, but I couldn't find the stock map on the AP's list. So I just did the uninstall, which worked fine (this was my "divorce" thread). But I was surprised not to find the OEM map on the list as an option. I didn't use the AP manager in this process, but, IIRC, the list on the AP's display is what you see in the manager. So where does it go? "Hidden memory"? HPH

When you first install the AP it will store all of the stock settings. Where exactly they are stored ... I don't know.

When you unmarry the AP it restores all of the stored stock settings.

You can't flash back to stock without unmarrying the AP. If that was possible then you could get 1 person to buy an AP and flash 10 cars. It is Cobb's programming insurance policy if you will.

^^ Ah, I see: it's Cobb's version of copy protection -- I knew they had it but I thought it was somehow embedded in the AP memory (a "married/single" bit somewhere). But this stock map business would do the trick as well.

Still, it would be nice to have a true OEM map available for flashing without having to divorce the AP from your car -- while the uninstall process goes pretty quickly, the installation takes several minutes.

Also, per the OP, it would be helpful to be able to back the whole thing up. Suppose, for example, you're flashed to the Cobb map and you (say) accidentally run over the AP somehow. Presumably, Cobb would (for the cost of a new one) help you get the thing set to work with your (married, but now widowed) car; but the OEM map for that car would be forever gone.

Backups are paranoid, but a Good Idea. HPH

When you first install the AP it will store all of the stock settings. Where exactly they are stored ... I don't know.

When you unmarry the AP it restores all of the stored stock settings.

You can't flash back to stock without unmarrying the AP. If that was possible then you could get 1 person to buy an AP and flash 10 cars. It is Cobb's programming insurance policy if you will.

I'm ok without being able to flash back to stock unless you divorce the AP, but my ECM was reflashed at the dealer to get rid of the stutter and I really don't want to lose that map if my AP gets lost, damaged, stolen, etc.

Still, it would be nice to have a true OEM map available for flashing without having to divorce the AP from your car -- while the uninstall process goes pretty quickly, the installation takes several minutes.

Also, per the OP, it would be helpful to be able to back the whole thing up. Suppose, for example, you're flashed to the Cobb map and you (say) accidentally run over the AP somehow. Presumably, Cobb would (for the cost of a new one) help you get the thing set to work with your (married, but now widowed) car; but the OEM map for that car would be forever gone.

Backups are paranoid, but a Good Idea. HPH

Yup. Nail on the head.

Guys I am new here and will be ordering my AP for christmas. I drive an 09'. Once the AP is connected via the port, does it need to stay connected to the car at all times? IF it does, where did you guys mount it?

No, it doesn't. I brought mine with me the first drive after the reflash to make sure things went ok but will probably just leave it at home afterwards.

Car started and ran fine. It does have that same weird feel you'd get after resetting the ECM that I suspect will go away once it's done "learning".

I'm ok without being able to flash back to stock unless you divorce the AP, but my ECM was reflashed at the dealer to get rid of the stutter and I really don't want to lose that map if my AP gets lost, damaged, stolen, etc.

If you got the ECM reflashed you should have unmarried your AP first. Then the reflashed info. would be there for when you go back to stock.

I had an issue with my front o2 sensor and the dealer wanted to reflash. Told them absolutely NO until I unmarried my AP first. They had no issue at all and I did a quick unmarry in the parking lot before they did an update on the ECU.

If you got the ECM reflashed you should have unmarried your AP first. Then the reflashed info. would be there for when you go back to stock.

I had an issue with my front o2 sensor and the dealer wanted to reflash. Told them absolutely NO until I unmarried my AP first. They had no issue at all and I did a quick unmarry in the parking lot before they did an update on the ECU.

I had my ECM flashed before getting the AP, so that's not the problem. It's all about saving the updated maps. It would be nice if Cobb had all the stock ECM map versions available so if you ever decided to go back to stock, you can pick which version to go back to.

Once the AccessPORT is married to the ECU it will save the stock/current ROM off the vehicles ECU and store it on the hand held device. The map isn't accessible for many reasons. If you want to have the AccessPORT married to the car and run the stock map then we supply a "stock style mode" map that's very identical to your factory one.

Once the AccessPORT is married to the ECU it will save the stock/current ROM off the vehicles ECU and store it on the hand held device. The map isn't accessible for many reasons. If you want to have the AccessPORT married to the car and run the stock map then we supply a "stock style mode" map that's very identical to your factory one.

I think it should be made available to us for my already mentioned reasons, but at least now I know it can't be done. Thanks.

...we supply a "stock style mode" map that's very identical to your factory one.

You do? Is it included with the rest of the maps on the AP(2)? What's it called?

I looked for some such thing when I was getting ready to take the car to the dealer but nothing looked like it was the stock map.

How do we get one? HPH

You do? Is it included with the rest of the maps on the AP(2)? What's it called?

I looked for some such thing when I was getting ready to take the car to the dealer but nothing looked like it was the stock map.

How do we get one? HPH

Cobb has "stock style" maps on the map downloads page on their website. However, what would be the point of installing one of these maps in order to take the car to the dealer? The AP would still be married to the car so it wouldn't really be any different than if you had a Stage I/II map installed.

I think it should be made available to us for my already mentioned reasons, but at least now I know it can't be done. Thanks.

We have access to take that ROM off the AP if need being.

How do we get one? HPH

The map is called "Stock Mode" and can be found here along with every OTS map we offer. http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3061

Cheers

Just got this response from Cobb. Looks like they do have the updated stock maps:

"We do not allow people to pull of their stock map since it is technically not our property. It is the property of Subaru of America. In the unlikely event your stock map is lost we can provide you with the latest map from Subaru to return your vehicle to stock. The only time I've ever seen someone loose their stock map is when the AccessPORT gets stolen or somehow all the internal hardware fails, which is very rare. Let me know if you have any other questions."

^^ Excellent. Between that reply and Dan's earlier link, I think we're covered. Thanks.

Now, as to Dave's question: I suppose you're right -- what's needed to make the car really stock is a true-blue Subaru OEM map, rather than the Cobb stock mode map, at least if the dealership hooks up their diagnostic equipment and looks at such things.

But if all they do is, say, an oil change and brief test drive, the Cobb stock mode map would at least not make them suspicious of that extra performance boost that the Stage I map provides.

On the other hand, if they do hook up their equipment to a married car (which sounds as if the car's having an affair, or something), perhaps there would be all sorts of indications that the thing isn't really stock any more.

So I guess the divorce process is what's need for trips to the dealership. HPH

Archived