LegacyGT.com

30k maintenance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that they are using the long-life subaru coolant, when I do my 30K service, can I throw that new long-life (110,000 mile) coolant in there instead?

Dealer didn't seem to know...

Yes you can use the new Super Blue coolant(the blue stuff) you still have to change it per your vehicles requirements. If it originally came with the green coolant, it is every 30,000 miles.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

oh, so there is no point...what a waste of money

If the long life coolant is good for that long, why can't we use it in our cars? Is the system any different than the new 09? What kind of problem could it cause?

oh, so there is no point...what a waste of money

If the long life coolant is good for that long, why can't we use it in our cars? Is the system any different than the new 09? What kind of problem could it cause?

Because the newer vehicles have that and they are changed at 137,500 miles or 11 years, then again at 6 years 75k. Yours has the green coolant and SOA states that when it should be changed. My guess is because of the fact you might be mixing it and not fully getting the old coolant out and the system may have residue/buildup and you do not want to leave coolant in for 6 years or 75,000 miles which is the duration of the 2nd timeframe of when the blue coolant is changed.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Hmm, not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand.

SOA wrote the manual for my 08 (for example) before the existence of the new long life coolant, so it stands to reason that it would say in the 08 manual that it should be changed every 30K with the regular coolant. If they were to hypothetically rewrite the 08 manual today, would it still say that we need to change every 30K regardless of which we use, or that we can use the new long-life coolant at longer intervals?

Unless there is an actual reason as to why we can't switch to the long-life coolant and go the 137K/11 years, then why shouldn't we? If the cooling system is the exact same (and I don't know that it is) between the 08 and 09, then wouldn't it stand to reason that the long-life long coolant can be used for long intervals?

Again, playing devils advocate here, trying to understand better. Thanks!!

Hmm, not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand.

SOA wrote the manual for my 08 (for example) before the existence of the new long life coolant, so it stands to reason that it would say in the 08 manual that it should be changed every 30K with the regular coolant. If they were to hypothetically rewrite the 08 manual today, would it still say that we need to change every 30K regardless of which we use, or that we can use the new long-life coolant at longer intervals?

Unless there is an actual reason as to why we can't switch to the long-life coolant and go the 137K/11 years, then why shouldn't we? If the cooling system is the exact same (and I don't know that it is) between the 08 and 09, then wouldn't it stand to reason that the long-life long coolant can be used for long intervals?

Again, playing devils advocate here, trying to understand better. Thanks!!

I just told you why.

See this is the crap that makes me feel like not bothering to post. There is always a debate and it goes round and round. Your vehicle calls for fluid change at 30k. I added info on why they possibly do not want it mixed, but that isn't what you want to hear.

For all I care, you can either change it or not. It isn't my car, it's yours. If you are so adamant on using the blue coolant for the full interval, then use it.

Wow, someone is bitter. Clearly you have been doing this for too long.

The only thing that you told me is that my vehicle calls for the green stuff and that's why I shouldn't use the new coolant. That's not good enough for me. If you don't like it, let someone else respond.

You have given NO actual information as to WHY it wouldn't work. You simply read me my manual. As I previous stated, in case you didn't read my post earlier, the manual was written for 05-08 before the new coolant was around. I have not heard you say that our cooling systems are any different, so it stands to reason, hypothetically, that if they are the same, then to drain out the old stuff and to put in the new long-life coolant should allow the long interval. I don't know that I am right, that's why I am asking questions, but I think my reasoning is logically and you have said NOTHING to say that I am wrong other than to read the manual...

Wow, someone is bitter. Clearly you have been doing this for too long.

You are right, I have. Just getting tired of sometimes going out of my way to help those out and offering the information only to deal with a bunch of debate of why as if i was the one who created it. It gets old and maybe I should just stay an enthusiast on here instead and ignore the questions and not be the Subaru Advisor on here too. My bad.

The only thing that you told me is that my vehicle calls for the green stuff and that's why I shouldn't use the new coolant. That's not good enough for me. If you don't like it, let someone else respond.
Maybe I didn't highlight this enough for you. I thought this was some info to help you

My guess is because of the fact you might be mixing it and not fully getting the old coolant out and the system may have residue/buildup and you do not want to leave coolant in for 6 years or 75,000 miles which is the duration of the 2nd timeframe of when the blue coolant is changed.

You have given NO actual information as to WHY it wouldn't work. You simply read me my manual. As I previous stated, in case you didn't read my post earlier, the manual was written for 05-08 before the new coolant was around. I have not heard you say that our cooling systems are any different, so it stands to reason, hypothetically, that if they are the same, then to drain out the old stuff and to put in the new long-life coolant should allow the long interval. I don't know that I am right, that's why I am asking questions, but I think my reasoning is logically and you have said NOTHING to say that I am wrong other than to read the manual...

Then you can call 1-800 SUBARU3 and ask them or complain to them why you feel you should use or it, or just put it in.

I didn't see that post about the residue - I see that you edited it shortly after, I had already began writing my post. Sorry for missing that. That makes sense. Perhaps running the new long-life coolant for 30K to get it into the system and then switching for good to the longer intervals with the new stuff could work.

Again, I'm sorry if you feel that I am trying to negate or debate what you are saying. I am much too much of a novice to say one way or another, as I said, just trying to understand by asking questions.

It's not a bad idea to call SOA to find out, but I don't want to just throw it in case it is the wrong thing to do. Thanks for your help.

I have the same question and got quoted at over $700 at Roy Robinson Subaru of Marysville, WA. Admittedly I know almost nothing about cars and thus why I can easily be taken. I'm relying on all of your advice here and have sent this basic question and story to SOA. Its Sat night and the service will not happen until at least Monday so I have time to call and cancel unneeded work.

Thanks everyone in advance it's much appreciated

Oh yeah 2007 LGT Auto

Synthetic Oil and filter - $80

Basic Inspection (fluid tops, tire rotation, belts, hoses; etc) -$50

Drain & fill front n rear differentials - $65

Replace air filter (if needed) - $25

Clean fuel injectors and "decarbon comustion chamber" (does this mean clean off soot residue?) - $120

Perform coolant exchange in engine block, radiator & heater core core - $160

Flush auto trans & AWD fluid - $200

Flush entire brake hydraulic system - $110

Could be looking at $880 when you factor in WA state sales tax here.

Please help!!!

The only part of the 30K I had my dealer do was the coolant, and they only charged under $50 for that, not $160. $120 for Techron or equivalent? $80 for $20 worth of synthetic oil and $10 OEM filter (dealer price)? LOL!

I had my 30k done at Patriot Subaru in Saco, Maine. If you feel like the drive, they are very reasonable and mod friendly. My price was well under the other qouted prices. As it was done 16k miles ago I won't qoute a price as it may have changed. Good dealership, great techs, and knowledgeable employees.

Alright, after reading through the posts I think this is what I'm going to do instead of 30K service:

Tranny

Coolant

Diff

Brake Fluid

Oil/Filter

Any reason I should get anything else? I already replaced my cabin filter and have a K&N air, so are those pretty much the only things I really need? Any help is appreciated :)

Alright, after reading through the posts I think this is what I'm going to do instead of 30K service:

Tranny

Coolant

Diff

Brake Fluid

Oil/Filter

Any reason I should get anything else? I already replaced my cabin filter and have a K&N air, so are those pretty much the only things I really need? Any help is appreciated :)

That's the list i'd use.

NP. I'm using an independent garage for mine, and that's what my mechanic recommended.

And let me say it's much less than what the dealership is charging... plus I'm getting top-of-the-line fluids (motul, redline, mobil 1), plus I'm having my Hawk brake pads put on, and it's still considerably less.

Independent garages FTMFW! :D

So as a follow-up to the super coolant discussion, I wrote to SOA and here is what they wrote back, good news!:

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

If you choose to use the Subaru Super Coolant in your Legacy, you must flush out all of the Subaru Long-Life coolant before you replace with the Super Coolant in order to take advantage of the Super Coolant replacement interval of 137,500 miles or 132 months.

Subaru Super Coolant can be mixed with the Subaru Long Life Coolant in your 2008 Subaru Legacy; however, when mixed, the replacement interval must be followed for Subaru Long Life Coolant (30 months/30,000 miles).

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

So at 30K, I'll switch over to the "super coolant" and then at 60K flush it out once more to make sure all of the old was out, fill it with the super coolant once more and should be done for a while. It should have been this way to begin with!!

I just got my 30K Maintenance done at my Subaru dealership for $440. Not terrible, considering that I don't have the time right now to do it myself.

Not too bad a price.

My '06 seems to have orange/brown coolant. I bought it at 25K miles and pretty

sure it's the factory fill. (Yes, I'm sniffed and felt and I don't think there's oil

in there). I'm confused about what coolant THIS might be, since it sounds like

the Long Life coolant is green and the Super coolant is blue, and mine oughta

be one of those.

Archived