LegacyGT.com

30k maintenance

Subaru's SLLC is a dark green in color. I wonder if someone accidentally put GM dexcool in it before you being that is orange in color.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, I dunno. I guess I'll flush the bejesus out of it when I get

around to doing my 30K mile coolant change.

I have seen it happen on an outback that we were warrantying a headgasket leak and we found dexcool in it being the tech said it was orange. That's what I run in the LS1. You never know.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I have seen it happen on an outback that we were warrantying a headgasket leak and we found dexcool in it being the tech said it was orange. That's what I run in the LS1. You never know.

So orange implies Dexcool ?

How bad would that be ?

It's a little odd - the original owner had pretty complete maintenance

records, and no mention of adding coolant. Of course, he could've done

it himself with some orange stuff he had lying around, but the thing

doesn't really go through coolant - maybe very slight usage, but I've

put 5K miles on it and haven't had to add any except maybe a little once.

Yes. Ford's is like a Yellow color. Some coolant can satisfy all of that as well.

I would just change it soon as i can. I can't think of any harm it can do now, but later it could. I would not leave it in there because overtime Dexcool has been known to slime up and gunk up. That is why I will never change mine at 150k mark like they claim. I still do it every 30k.

• 4 months later...

I have an '06 Legacy Spec. B. I took it in for service in October of 2008 for a 30,000 mile tune-up. I just took my car in for some work today to a different dealership (CD Player jammed, wheel change-out) and I was informed that I need to flush my fluids (antifreeze, brake, etc.), need new air filters, and the AWD differential flushed...

I let them know I had a 30,000 mile tune up done less than 5k miles ago, and they said "it doesn't look that way."

Could someone let me know how to proceed? Should I have this dealership show me everything that's "dirty" and then take it back to the other dealer and demand they do the work I already paid them for?

Finally, is there any way to tell if your AWD differential needs to be flushed?

That's a tricky question, and maybe you would need a third party to check that out.

As for the differential - on an MT it should be the same as the gearbox oil, and check if your service plan in the owners manual specifies that it shall be replaced. If not it's possible that they try to rip you off.

You may also want to check both dealerships for track records of badly handled customers.

453747.png

I have an '06 Legacy Spec. B. I took it in for service in October of 2008 for a 30,000 mile tune-up. I just took my car in for some work today to a different dealership (CD Player jammed, wheel change-out) and I was informed that I need to flush my fluids (antifreeze, brake, etc.), need new air filters, and the AWD differential flushed...

I let them know I had a 30,000 mile tune up done less than 5k miles ago, and they said "it doesn't look that way."

Could someone let me know how to proceed? Should I have this dealership show me everything that's "dirty" and then take it back to the other dealer and demand they do the work I already paid them for?

Finally, is there any way to tell if your AWD differential needs to be flushed?

They could be trying to use that tactic "it doesn't look that way." to get you to buy their service. I would either take it to a 3rd party, or have the fluids checked yourself. Also look at your bill and the parts billed to it. If they look good to go, then ignore it. The diffs do not get flushed. They are a simple drain and fill. The front one gets done anytime you changed your transmission fluid being you have a MT.

ehsnils and blackfang - thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it. I did check all of the fluids myself with the mechanic who performed the work, and it really was not dirty. It's sad that an unsuspecting person would have dropped $450 on all that non-essential labor.

Thanks and be well.

My '06 seems to have orange/brown coolant. I bought it at 25K miles and pretty

sure it's the factory fill. (Yes, I'm sniffed and felt and I don't think there's oil

in there). I'm confused about what coolant THIS might be, since it sounds like

the Long Life coolant is green and the Super coolant is blue, and mine oughta

be one of those.

might be the subaru coolant conditioner, its brown in color and pulpy?

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/SubaruCoolingSysCond.jpg

Archived