LegacyGT.com

Recommended Service Maintance Schedule

The book says 30k. However the 05+ the filter is on the fuel pump in the tank. Can you replace it? Sure. Do you need to? That is up to you, unless you want to, or pay $300+ to do it or unless there is an issue with it.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

so any idea how often should we replace it b4 giving us problems? 30K miles=50K km...i have 63K km on my car and no problems so far, but curious if i should replace at about 100K km (60K miles) or later, say, when i replace timing belt at 160Kkm (100K miles)?

I always use premium fuel, same in my old mazda that has 226K km and never had problems with fuel filter.

Unless the pump fails, you may not see any issues. I am at 48k and haven't changed it yet. I have some customers that are upwards of around 80,000 miles and no issues.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies if I'm beating a dead horse on this thread, but I thought it may be useful to add another dealer's service schedule with quoted prices. This is in Central Texas.

What's interesting here is the reasoning that the service rep gave me for this servicing over Subaru's recommended schedule. He said that

1) Subaru's recommendation is based on their controlled test environment while the dealer takes into account that we're in a climate with 2 solid months of 100+ degrees in an urban environment.

2) Subaru is in the business of selling new cars and isn't as concerned about longevity whereas the dealer's service department wants me in a dependable vehicle for as long as possible.

This is either logical advice or a thinly veiled sales pitch for unnecessary work. I can already see that they're suggesting a new timing belt at 60k miles, which seems really early. Not quite as rapetastic as the original poster but those 30k and 60k services look pretty high.

I've attached an image instead of copying it all down, but if it isn't legible then I'll copy it.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab204/jpronline/DealerService.png

I work for a Subaru dealer and I do not sell timing belts until 105k or when the customer requests it. If any dealer is selling it at 45,000 miles early, they are trying to get extra money from you PERIOD!

Plus that dealer is changing platinum spark plugs every 30,000 when it is not required nor needed(every 60,000 is what it calls for). Again, trying to get that extra dime out of the customer.

The top of the document says it all..."Dealer Recommended Maintenance", not "Manufacturer Recommended Maintenance".

The dealers can recommend anything they want. It is the manufacturer who determines what is required for the vehicle that they build.

I always just buy my services ala cart and ask for what is manufacturer recommended that I don't take care of myself. I have never asked for a predetermined "package".

It is still ugly.

Who actually spends this much on maintaining their vehicle? Seriously? Outside of a 100K+ mile BMW that is maintained at the dealer, this is outrageous.

Forgoing tires, I spend about $150-200 a year on my Honda Civic SI now at 75k miles. And that's 24k miles a year. AND it includes a $75 emissions and inspection.

Oil, oil filter, re-usable air filter, insert wiper blades, self-rotated tires, free self-inspections....and the occasional brake fluid/trans fluid drain and fill, and $70 brake pads every 50k miles.

Joe

Hey guys...just read through this and could use advice. I got my GT this summer with 102K. I have no history really on the car (other than it still drives great). I have about 105K now and will be bringing it into do a timing belt within the next couple of weeks. I dont go to dealerships (no warranty and they are expensive) but prefer independant shops with good reputations. I used to work at one for about 5 yrs (mostly while in high school). They guy who owns it used to be a Center Subaru head mechanic and built his business on imports (subaru toyota &honda mostly). Hes actually the guy who turned my family onto subarus 20+ yrs ago. I think i will end up brining my car there for the T belt, as i know he really can look my car over really throrughly, which helps my peace of mind. My only qualm is his $90/hr service charge. My car will get checked and fixed top to bottom, no questions asked, but will cost me (im guessing at least $13-15 hundred def 1K+)

There is another independant shop near me, who my parents have brought their car to many times and are pleased with his work. He could take care of my belt and necessary fluid checks, water pump and fuel pump if necessary. If i decide to go to this guy, what should i also ask him to check for as, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WORK HAS RLY BEEN DONE ON MY CAR IN THE PAST100K. I rly would like a complete checkup.

Advice would be great. After this major service, i will be doing as much as I can do myself. I know this will be costly, but i need my GT to last me to 200K if i want it to. And I should mention that I am a spirited driver as I very much to play between the 3-5K rpm range often. If my engine is warm and conditions are nice, i like to have fun on the roads. Please help guys!

• 8 years later...

I would honestly do the timing belt/water pump and all pulleys yourself. Its not very difficult with the subaru motors. I just replaced mine myself after the cog pulley destroyed itself. I got several quotes for parts and labor and since my vehicle is a 2008 Outback XT it was going to cost me $1000+ even at my shop I usually take my vehicle to. There is an awesome video that is very good and I suggest watching it (link below). I ended up buying a Gates timing belt and water pump kit from fastwrx.com along with a new thermostat, radiator hoses, clamps, and 2 gallons of subaru OEM super coolant. In total with 3day shipping from Virginia to Idaho I only spent $496. Now she runs great! Much better than before. Not to mention I saved well over $600. My vehicle has now 181500 miles on the clock and I plan to keep it running for another 90K if not more.

https://www.fastwrx.com/

Hope this info helps if you ever plan on doing the work yourself.

Cheers!

Archived