LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i jsut used a regular floor jack and balance it. the auto tranny has a big flat pan but be sure to un plug and remove the turbine speed sensor ! cuz it will break if you don't !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

just got home from picking up my car... had a holy crap moment on my first onramp. Couldn't really open it up since I have a new clutch to break it in, but I can tell the car really wants to go around these turns already. Can't wait to push it!

Ok, I'm still saving for this mod and as you all know I have a Spec-B.

After reading through here again I see the first ever negatives to this upgrade a page back.

Can someone please describe what it is I'll expect once this is done? I drive fairly aggressively on the street (not 17yr old aggressive but 43yr old aggressive) and take onramps usually as fast as I can when able. Other than that the occasional HPDE track day is it for me, no AutoX.

Thanks,

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Ok, I'm still saving for this mod and as you all know I have a Spec-B.

After reading through here again I see the first ever negatives to this upgrade a page back.

Can someone please describe what it is I'll expect once this is done? I drive fairly aggressively on the street (not 17yr old aggressive but 43yr old aggressive) and take onramps usually as fast as I can when able. Other than that the occasional HPDE track day is it for me, no AutoX.

Thanks,

There are NO negative aspects to putting in a front LSD (matched for the car). Only better car control and traction thru corners and on ice/snow. For the most part and if installed properly its operation is completely unknown. You should not hear it; it should not make noises; it should not make your fuel economy suffer. It will make your steering more precise and heavier though.

As you know GTs did not have traction control or stability control. The moment i put one in, my car became a lot more controllable in corners with little tendency to spin when cornering. Or maybe I should say the tendency is still there, albeit reduced BUT it is much much easier to regain control over the situation since the fronts grip the road.

You'll know the difference in the snow. Or on an icy ramp if you do a dead stop then try to go forward. You will feel it on interstate access ramps as your cornering speeds will increase. And if you drive it aggressively you will eventually hear it lock, espec if you manage to lift a front wheel off the ground or it has markedly lower traction. This past summer i was in a situation in some hills on a private racetrack where there was a sharp almost 180 degree turn going uphill and I could feel it lock, with a popping noise and the car just kept pulling away from where the wheel were steering (sharp right turn, left wheel grip)

There are NO negative aspects to putting in a front LSD (matched for the car).

That's probably a true statement for the street. However, as I've described in another post somewhere, simply installing a front LSD will not automatically improve lap times on a road course. I've found that the increased understeer on turn-in can outweigh the benefit of increased traction on track-out. Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, this problem could be solved by aggressively tossing the rear end out on corner entry to get the car pointed in the right direction. However, this works only if you have a better-than-stock rear LSD. So, as usual, the benefit of adding a modification is largely dependent on supporting modifications. That's why this hobby ends up costing so much money:lol:

I figure i'd chime in since I also have one of these.

*Disclaimer, im not as technically gifted verbally as some of you when explaining car dynamics, but i'll do my best :D*

I track my car a quite a bit (1-2x/mo, love socal), and i've noticed a way better traction going around corners. Some of you have mentioned understeer was increased. I did not notice any increased understeer but less of it actually. At times the car was pulling around the corner so much i had to pull the wheel back in line (like how a fwd w/lsd gets tq steer).

With no other mods other than my flsd I actually dropped my laptimes at 2 different tracks (more to come next mo), but that might also have to do with improvement from lots of seat time (who knows). But I definitely like the characteristics of the car with the FLSD than w/o it. My technique I use, which i feel is compounded by the addition of a FLSD, is to brake late to load the front wheels and as i lift my foot off the brake im simultaneously turning the steering wheel into a corner, and smoothly applying throttle until i'm at fullthrottle at exit (I'll mention more about this below). I also try my best to adjust my suspension so that the wheels stay connected to the pavement because im sure although COOL and badass lifting a wheel is mid-turn, it's not desirable when trying to drop laptimes, autox times, etc.

Back to the understeering. For those of you that ARE understeering more, could that be caused by you mashing the gas TOO soon rather than smoothly adding throttle? Using the smooth approach I can start giving it gas sooner and maintain a tighter line and don't track out/understeer as much as i did w/o a flsd. OR could it be the difference in operating characteristics of our LSDs? i.e I know most of you guys have the JDM STI unit and I think i'm the only person I know on here running an MFactory unit and maybe that could be variable???

I'm saving up for an upgraded RLSD but will continue to collect more date (aka have fun at the track) that will support having a FLSD as opposed to not having it. Now the question is mech or clutch RLSD?????

Got a chance to play around in some snow with my new front LSD (from 07 STI). My reviews are mixed.

What I desired was, in essence, controlled oversteer. I was really wanting the back end to kick out more in corners. I can now get the car to do that, but I wouldn't classify it "controlled"... at least not yet. If I push it too hard, the car quickly goes to understeer instead of oversteer.

I guess my end thought is that I think the front LSD can be great, if you really know how to control it at the limits. However, I think the addition of a front LSD is less forgiving if you mess up - the recovery is not as clean as the stock open diff (i.e. - if you lift off the gas, the car doesn't fall back into line).

As Saul mentions above, this could be due to me getting on the power too quickly in the turn, which is too easy to do in the snow. ;-) That said, I didn't have that problem with the open diff - if you got on the power too soon, a simple lift of the accelerator, and the car quickly got back in control. With the STI diff, if I get on the gas too soon and start to oversteer (which I like) and then lift the accelerator, it just goes into an understeer push. Kind of a weird combination, in my opinion.

In the end, I think it just takes some getting used to. My original "hope" of having a miracle transformation of the car into a cornering beast did not come true, but I think it has more to do with the driver than the car. I think you end up needing to pay a little more attention in the corners than with the open diff, since recovery is not as simple as it once was.

My two cents, anyway.

Yeah, a DCCD from a STI would be very nice, if it wouldn't be so expensive to put in.

I will say, I got a chance to play in the snow some more today, and my impressions are improving on the FLSD. The addition of the front LSD makes the car very stable to the point where I couldn't upset the car in the snow even when trying. I purposefully tried to spin the car sideways (which I could do before the install), and the car just tracks along nicely. It still pushes, but won't upset. I'll classify this a big win for the FLSD. I'm guessing if I had full snow tires, even the pushing would be minimal.

• 1 month later...

Can't answer for sure but given that the 07 and 08 are different cars altogether, there might be a difference.

And if you have a Spec B, you probably want the front diff from the 04-07 cars (though do not quote me on that). I paid close attention to this thread and I do not recall anyone borrowing a front LSD or in fact a 6 speed transmission from the current model STI.

Can't answer for sure but given that the 07 and 08 are different cars altogether, there might be a difference.

And if you have a Spec B, you probably want the front diff from the 04-07 cars (though do not quote me on that). I paid close attention to this thread and I do not recall anyone borrowing a front LSD or in fact a 6 speed transmission from the current model STI.

bugger, i have been offered a really good price on a helical front LSD from an 08 STI 6 speed, the seller has said:

" if its a six speed then it will fit, 08 STi's dont have the plastic speedo drive on the diff but i can put one on there for you at no extra charge, its just the ring gear on the side that drives the speedo"

can anyone confirm or deny the above?

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/38410AA100/

According to this, the front LSD assembly is part # 38410AA100.

It is used on the 02-06, and 07+ STI

It LOOKS like it might be the same, I would confirm with your local subaru dealership. Just tell them you're interested in buying a front LSD from an STI, and ask for the part number for an 08 and an 07.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/38410AA100/

According to this, the front LSD assembly is part # 38410AA100.

It is used on the 02-06, and 07+ STI

It LOOKS like it might be the same, I would confirm with your local subaru dealership. Just tell them you're interested in buying a front LSD from an STI, and ask for the part number for an 08 and an 07.

Thanks wpmarky appreciate. Not too sure its the same part number, will have to double check with Subaru.

Considering this as a possibility in the future... couple of questions:

1. So the GC8 WRX/Sti front lsd is the one that compatible with 5mt, right?

2. ^^That being said, what about a cheaper option, such as the MFactory unit (http://www.s2carbonworks.com/mfcohelsd.html) which is available there in GC8 fitment. Could that be used? Any reason to go with the $1k+ Subaru unit over that one?

3. Would this be ridiculously difficult to install myself? Would I need any parts other than the lsd?

^ Curious about using the helical versus the STI 'Plate/clutch' version found in some of the STI variants. Really want to decrease the amount of potential negative handling effects in less than ideal conditions in the turns, i.e., snow, ice, slippery conditions, versus open diff, and was wondering whether the helical choice was the better choice. Thoughts?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

there was a FAQ that explained the differences between the 3, but I can't find it right now... i think it's buried somewhere in this thread.

from what i remember, clutch type is the coilover of diffs, Helical is like a well paired spring/strut combo.

A good clutch type LSD has better adjustability, and can be tuned for different applications.

Helical is better for plug and play.

Archived