LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

Just to confirm what most here already know...

To be honest, the front LSD didn't help me out as much as I had hoped. It introduced a lot more slow corner understeer than I expected, and actually made it harder for me to get on the gas early. I tried using body english to toss the rear end out to get the front pointed in the right direction, but - because I only have the factory LSD in the rear - this would induce spinning of the inside rear wheel. Keep in mind that I'm putting down 310 wheeel HP. I think my results would be much better if I had a clutch type LSD in the rear to complement the front LSD.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^yep, my inside rear spins as well. The LSD does make the steering harder in transitions, but, you probably know this already, LSD or not, you still can only turn as fast as your tires will allow at the speed your going. you may have to change your driving habits to accommodate the way the front diff puts power down. A better rear diff would certainly help though and it would make your center diff work more efficiently.

hey unclemat, do you have a clutch type rear diff in one of your cars?

Just Torsen. I have a clutch type laying around, but never got to trying it out. Maybe next spring.

Geese can't get around corners doing giant power slides ? I say weld up all 3 diffs!

But yes LSD do make cornering harder especially tight slow corners the front LSD will really cause under steer its why it's not used so much

White tiger what in particular broke in your rear diff? Not the ring and pinion I hope ? Probaly the spider gears or torsen gears right? Witch in that case weld the shit out of it! Or get a lock rear diff

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Hmmm... you guys are starting to scare me away from getting mine installed. I finally found a place that will install it and a clutch for $700, and have it scheduled for the end of December. But the main reason I wanted it was for use at the track... I don't think I like the concept of spinning the inside rear tire.

Choices choices...

My plan includes STI 6MT and R180 rear, at least to give me as much reliability as possible. The R160 is okay, but the R180 has proven itself to be much more durable under duress.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Geese can't get around corners doing giant power slides ? I say weld up all 3 diffs!

But yes LSD do make cornering harder especially tight slow corners the front LSD will really cause under steer its why it's not used so much

White tiger what in particular broke in your rear diff? Not the ring and pinion I hope ? Probaly the spider gears or torsen gears right? Witch in that case weld the shit out of it! Or get a lock rear diff

i broke the rear diff. so no torsen stuff. just weak vlsd stuff. Im just aboutt o get a quaife, but i need to know if our inner axle splines are the same as wrx splines. are all late model subaru rear inner axles the same with r160 diffs?

i broke the rear diff. so no torsen stuff. just weak vlsd stuff. Im just aboutt o get a quaife, but i need to know if our inner axle splines are the same as wrx splines. are all late model subaru rear inner axles the same with r160 diffs?

If my rear diff lets go I plan to run a Quaife as well, assuming it bolts on. Post up once you find some more details

the torsen's tend to chew them self to peices if there not large engough for the torque. i would like to see the old failed diff to see exactly what broke .. needs autotopsy

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

was a a spider gear that broke.

clutch rears are good for track duty, but they will cause understeer in tight turns. a mechanical diff will make sure the right wheel gets power no matter what im doing as long as all the wheels are on the ground.

was a a spider gear that broke.

clutch rears are good for track duty, but they will cause understeer in tight turns. a mechanical diff will make sure the right wheel gets power no matter what im doing as long as all the wheels are on the ground.

So ur most likely going with a gear type? Whichever you choose, they'll both be better than our vlsd.

I am taking steps to be the 5eat front LSD guinnea pig. I do not have a trans jack, and the 5eat is in the neighborhood of 150 lbs. My buddy is going to help with the removal and reinstall. He says "I don't mean to brag, but..." he's a strong guy. Is this just plain crazy/stupid, or should I not worry so much and trust this guy's strength with my transmission? I don't really want to buy yet another $100 tool for the two times in my life I will use it.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived