LegacyGT.com

Lachute Performance Turboback Exhaust

KGreb

Update - after a weekend of test driving several different parts combos, I've decided that the sound level at cruise of the full Lachute system is too much for me once the mufflers have broken in. There were also some minor alignment issues found when repeatedly changing out parts. I've given my sound and manufacturing feedback to Julien at Lachute and he has been gracious enough to offer me a refund for the catback portion. Lachute is looking at options to quiet down the system for future buyers, as well as putting sound clips of the full system on their web site. Hopefully all of this will result in a better product.

As for my setup, I'm going to stay with the Lachute downpipe and stock catback. With this combination I feel that I get 90% of the power gain with hardly any increase in sound over stock, and I can unreservedly recommend it. All reviews of full turboback systems that I've seen are mentioning loudness issues. I'm going to wait until a vendor comes up with a truly quiet catback system before I consider another exhaust purchase.

Driving Impressions -

The system has a very subtle exhaust tone at idle. A person unfamilar with the vehicle would have a difficult time distinguishing from a stock vehicle. It is louder at idle, and I can finally hear my engine at idle. I actually have turned over my starter a couple of times at idle on the stock exhaust because I thought the engine was not running. I don't think I will have this problem anymore.

During normal driving, the system is louder, but inoffensive to most and very smooth/refined. At full throttle, the sound is aggressive and will make people take a second look at the car. Personally I would prefer a bit quieter tone at cruising RPMs, but the system is very nice as-is. The thick wall piping on the bellmouth muffles any excess turbo noises nicely, unlike the TXS exhaust I had on my WRX. There is a significant, immediate, noticable power increase; much more so than on my old WRX with turboback. I suspect it must be in the 20-30hp range to be able to feel it this obviously.

I have a couple of pictures and will try to attach them separately.

After hearing that video I disagree. It sounds nothing like stock, not even a little bit. I took my wife out to the garage and started my car and then played this clip for my wife, she was like OMG what exhaust does he have. :lol:

In real life it is not far from stock at idle - it's more different under load. Recording technique can make a big difference on the sound clips. I think Lachute needs to make recordings of stock, axleback, catback, and turboback with all the same equipment, in the same location, so a real comparison can be made.

Just a small thought everyone. I have tried some systems as well that I loved the performance, but would never ask anyone to sit in the back seat !! Others no sound but no gain either. Sound leves are a matter of opinion as is performance (were and when the ponies start to prance is different as well). Anyways, cudos to Lachute for a cool product.

Rommel - any word from Julien? It has been more than two weeks since he promised me a call. I was ready with CC in hand to buy a TBE and he had to check on the dual tips. Never heard back. Did we cut all phone lines to Canada? :lol:

Rommel - any word from Julien? It has been more than two weeks since he promised me a call. I was ready with CC in hand to buy a TBE and he had to check on the dual tips. Never heard back. Did we cut all phone lines to Canada? :lol:

Let me try to call him on Monday, he probably doesn't have any dual tips yet. Did you try sending him an email?

OT - did you order the spats?

• 7 months later...

Archived