LegacyGT.com

Lachute Performance Turboback Exhaust

KGreb

I received my turboback from Lachute yesterday. Install was easy, took about 2 hrs taking my time.

Product -

The turbo back comes in several pieces - downpipe (replaces 2nd and 3rd cats), resonator pipe, y-pipe, and two mufflers. 3" piping to the y-pipe, and 2.5" to the mufflers. New gaskets are included - 1x3", 2x2.5", 3" donut; reuse your turbo->downpipe gasket. I had to source four 10mmx40mmx1.5 flange bolts and nuts for the downpipe->resonator and resonator->y pipe connections. Julien will be including these in all future orders based on my feedback.

The quality of the welds and piping is superb. Everyone I have shown the system to has been very impressed with the build quality. The larger oval tips are a very nice match to the stock valance and my wife couldn't tell the difference at first glance - except the new mufflers were cleaner :)

Installation -

The downpipe section mated perfectly to the turbo and fit to the hanger was spot-on. Mufflers and y-pipe were equally simple. There is not much clearance to some of the heat shields, but I have not found any evidence of contact after 50 miles of driving.

Connection to the resonator pipe presented two problems. First, it was not immediately obvious which side of the resonator pipe connected to the downpipe. I used the donut gasket here, as on the stock exhaust. Secondly, the flanges are much thicker than stock (which is a good thing in my opinion), which prevented use of the stock spring bolts. I replaced them with two of the previously mentioned flange bolts. Julien has assured me that there should not be a problem using standard bolts here.

Driving Impressions -

The system has a very subtle exhaust tone at idle. A person unfamilar with the vehicle would have a difficult time distinguishing from a stock vehicle. It is louder at idle, and I can finally hear my engine at idle. I actually have turned over my starter a couple of times at idle on the stock exhaust because I thought the engine was not running. I don't think I will have this problem anymore.

During normal driving, the system is louder, but inoffensive to most and very smooth/refined. At full throttle, the sound is aggressive and will make people take a second look at the car. Personally I would prefer a bit quieter tone at cruising RPMs, but the system is very nice as-is. The thick wall piping on the bellmouth muffles any excess turbo noises nicely, unlike the TXS exhaust I had on my WRX. There is a significant, immediate, noticable power increase; much more so than on my old WRX with turboback. I suspect it must be in the 20-30hp range to be able to feel it this obviously.

I have a couple of pictures and will try to attach them separately.

I would agree with KGreb, I only got the axle back for now, everybody from the SFV meet said that the it sounds nice, real quiet at idle but you can hear the boxer rumble if you start to rev. And I do agree with the workmanship.

It is a bellmouth and I believe thier intent waas to have the bellmouth open enough to provide a path for the exhasut coming out of the waastegate without making it so big so as to cause turbulance. If you look at a downpipe that has some miles on it you can see where the exhaust froom the wastegate hits the stock plate and the bellmouth on this downpipe is in that approximate location.

I believe they wanted to accomodate users with the stock downpipe/Lachute catback or Lachute downpipe/stock catback. I didn't try, but it looks like you could make it work with the stock pieces pretty easily.

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, Julien pointed it to me. I was one of the test monkey's for their exhaust system. They used my car in the sound clip !!!! Lachute has invested a lot into this system, it takes over a day for their fabricator to assemble everything and almost an hour to be backed the next morning a complete system....trust me I saw this !!

As for the sound, I know they tested 12" and 18" resonators and two different muffler types. Depending what combination was used for the sound and what was shipped might affect end sound. Ask Julien about resonator size and if there is an option for a larger one ???

I have know and been a part of this shop for years, if something is wrong, they FIX it. Not just their work, anyones work.... without question. Even if you did not by parts from them, they still support and help you out of a jamb. I constantly refer any subaru junkie to them whether in CA, FL, Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, why ????? They are one of the best in North America. I am fortunate enough to visit and see a lot of different shops across the company, but I always end up comparing their craftsmanship to that of Lachute.

I am saving up to get my system for spring time. Looks stock, quiet sound, but 30hp ???? Kick-Ass cool in my opinion !!

Mark

I can relate that it is expensive, but would not complain about the cost of a part unless you were sure it is not worth it. There have been sevral kits sold and posts have been made attesting to the parts, fit, and performance. Some people can not justify paying 95$ for a pair of jeans, and others can not justify paying good money for an exhaust. My point is you do not hear people complaining about a 95$ pair of jeans ???

Mark

Well, I'm trying a couple of parts combinations as it's just too loud for me at cruise. The sound clip on the web is mufflers only, its much louder with the whole system in place. Have been talking to another forum member who got his on today and he had similar feedback.

Lachute downpipe with stock catback is a very nice combo so far, hardly and difference from stock sound, no odd resonation. I can unreservedly recommend this combo. Going to try Lachute downpipe + mufflers on stock resonator and see how that sounds. I'm guessing at this point, but I think the Lachute resonator pipe needs a much larger resonator. There's certainly room to add a larger one. Going to contact Julien on Monday with my subjective test results to see what he can do to improve the product.

Archived