LegacyGT.com

Clean your alloys?

For the most part it is just a matter of regular cleaning. If they are stained orange or burned black then you may have just neglected them for too long. I use Eagle One wheel and tire cleaner (formerly A2Z) on wheels and tires prior to washing and then I use Meguiar's Quick Wheel Detailer after dressing the tires. That keeps mine looking pretty good and it should work for any wheel that gets cleaned every couple weeks.

OCDetails Wheel Detailing Guide

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I used Goof off. I had the wheels off and all the brake dust was driving me crazy. Tried many household cleaners and Goof off is the only thing that cut through it. Just be in a ventilated area cause I am pretty sure I lost some brain cells.:lol:

7645690.jpg.139f59f02139bbf90b596104a7ace02e.jpg

I've never had any problems with normal car wash soap on stock wheels. The dust just comes off effortlessly. I just went nearly 3 months without a wash (don't kill me OCDetails!), and this included installation and bedding in of HPS pads, and again the dust just wiped off.

I have applied Wolfgang paint sealant to the wheels in the past, but not recently.

I have found using a claybar and a coating of wax after you wash helps shed the brake dust off of painted wheels very well.

Maybe I'm anal, or I have just seen so many nice Subaru wheels become ruined due to lack of care, but I take mine off after every winter, and hand scrub every crevice.

Sure, why not? They get contamination on them that can cause them to pit and corrode just as easily as the paint can pick it up. Every surface of your car's exterior could get something out of a little clay treatment once in awhile. Specifically the glass and wheels. That is a great use for clay that has fallen on the ground or is just dirty enough not to be used on paint anymore.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ummm.... you claybar your wheels? :iam:

:lol:

Once or twice a year...sure! Helps keep them from getting stained and makes them much easier to clean. I don't see how that wouldn't make sense to you. Just like any other part of your car...cleaner is better. Esp. a part that is blasted with brake dust all day.

I found that Mothers Aluminum polish works great if they've gotten yellowed.

It was more an experiment which, actually happened to work out quite well. I'm glad I did it.

I also dabble in detailing cars for good friends and family, and an aunt of mine has a 08 volvo S60T R, what a sweet car.

But, the pads they use create a horrendous amount of dust. I spent probably an hour between all 4 wheels just getting the dust completely cleaned away. So I finished off with the bar and wax.

Just last week I did a final fall detail on the same car, and cleaning the brake dust off this time was so much easier.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/product/images/05100-05101.jpg

2 times a year. it will make the brake dust wash away and get out some stains.

Careful with items like that because I believe they are made for bare metal and not clearcoated metal.

Careful with items like that because I believe they are made for bare metal and not clearcoated metal.

Really? i didn't really even think of that. i have used it on my stock subaru wheels now for a few years. it seems to keep the dust from sticking. thanks for the heads up.

Also, keep in mind that clearcoat is not much more than clear paint. What will hurt paint will also hurt clear. You are best not using anything on your wheels that isn't designed for the type that you have. What may not hurt them today may cause problems a month from now. Painted wheels are pretty tough, but not so tough that you can't hurt them. I wouldn't ever suggest using an aluminum polish on them when you can just as easily use a paint cleaner or, even better, a wheel cleaner designed for painted wheels like the Assassisn product from Danase. You can't go wrong with that.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived