LegacyGT.com

Radio Electrical Issues, Please Help!!!

OK I pulled out my radio last night. (I had to change a a cable in the back of my aftermarket radio). That being said after I hooked everything up, and packed it all back into the dash, I turned the car on.

No radio, not only no radio, No dome light, No map light, the display shows the MPH, Clock, etc is also dead.To compond the problem, when I got out of the car this morning at work, my remote locks wouldn't lock.

I checked the Fuse, #24 for Radio/Clock looks good. Does anyone else have any idea what the problem could be? Is there a reset code?

I hate electrical problems. If there is someone in the Chicago area that would like to look at it, please let me know.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Alan

if no fuse is bad, i'd assume there is a cable not plugged in.

when i put a new radio in, or back in a vehicle. before i close up everything i turn the radio on to make sure. but it sounds like you have a lot more not working than just the radio.

I would personally check every fuse before you tear the dash up again, door locks shouldn't have anything to do with the center console and radio... But i bet there is something either not hooked up, or hooked up wrong. (if possible)

i've been where you are before... i hate it.

I checked all the fuses at lunch, under the dash and under the hood. I found Fuse #8 under hood had blown. It's labeled "Backup Light" in the manual and it's a 20amp fuse.

I talked with a few car guy friends and they said that automotive electronics are tied to several fuses around the car, so it's no surprise to them that the radio was run through this fuse. They also said that their is no reason to have a 20amp fuse for the backup lights, so it make sense to them.

Has anyone else experience this fuse blowing?

I'll keep you posted.

You probably shorted something out when you were putting the radio in or out of the car. Might even be in the wire harness for the stereo since you said you have an aftermarket head unit in it...check your wiring, then replace the fuse and see what happens...

I had a similar problem on a '94 SHO Taurus I used to own, when I bought it the radio and dome would not work. I haggled the price down, as I knew I was putting in an aftermarket and didn't care so much about the dome.... anyway...

As I was putting in the aftermarket stereo I found that it would not turn on. Had a friend who installed stereos help me trace the problem, ended up that there was a bad ground somewhere. Never really found out where, I just jumped the ground from the radio harness to a metal bracket behind the stereo, as soon as I did that the dome lights came on too. Might be that you knocked a ground loose somehow behind there.

To check you can simply take a test light and touch it to your constant and switched power separately, and then touch the ground wire, if nothing try a grounded piece of metal.

Best of luck, I understand your position, it's not fun :(

i had this exact problem happen when i installed my radio in my old nissan. there's one wire on the back of the radio that touched a metal plate when I put the radio back in and shorted shit to ground and blew a fuse, killing all the interior lighting. changed fuse and it was fine, but took the radio out and capped off that wire so it wouldn't happen again. made driving at night a challenge...had to really use speed feeling instincts haha.

i dont remember which wire it was, sorry. i'd say take it out and look for a wire not tied to anything, just hanging loose. cap it off with electrical tape or something of the sort. if it touches anything grounded again the same problem is likely to show up...

Fixed!!! It was the fuse #8, under the hood, a 20amp fuse for the Backup Light. I stopped by my local auto parts store and got a fuse, put it in while in the parking lot. Instantly the lights came on, the radio came on, and now I'm Happy!!!

Thanks for everyone for your help.

This Forum is the best!

orange is power to the sub I believe, it sends a constant power signal to your sub when you turn on your radio. I would pull out the stereo when you get free time just to make sure you don't have a loose wire. If you have any "extra" wires cut them even and fold them over and tape up the ends good.

Archived