LegacyGT.com

Bought 2009 Legacy 2.5i Ltd (any special care reqd compared to Camry?)

We bought the 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited (Newport Blue) yesterday mainly for the AWD which might be come useful during the snow here in NY state.

We have a Camry. Is there anything special as compared to a Camry that we need to take care in a Legacy during the first few years?

The dealer mentioned about ensuring that the Legacy is towed in a flatbed always to ensure AWD is not damaged.

Take care of the tires. Rotate them regularly to ensure even tread wear. The tires need to stay within 0.25 inch circumference (approx 1/32 tread depth) to prevent damage to the differentials. This is probably the biggest difference in maintenance.

Enjoy the AWD!

We bought the 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited (Newport Blue) yesterday mainly for the AWD which might be come useful during the snow here in NY state.

We have a Camry. Is there anything special as compared to a Camry that we need to take care in a Legacy during the first few years?

The dealer mentioned about ensuring that the Legacy is towed in a flatbed always to ensure AWD is not damaged.

Make sure you rotate tires as recommended by the rotation schedule, you always change tires all 4 at a time, and you keep the alignment in check.

EDIT: LOL... What forestir said. (Sorry, delayed page refresh)

Make sure you rotate tires as recommended by the rotation schedule, you always change tires all 4 at a time, and you keep the alignment in check.

EDIT: LOL... What forestir said. (Sorry, delayed page refresh)

Currently, I balance everytime I rotate the tires on the Camry which I do every six months. I do not get the alignment done unless it is required. What would you guys recommend for Legacy? Balancing everytime I rotate and alignment if required

Lol I would clay bar and wax that thing. Got any pics?

Thanks for this. I was thinking of waxing one year down the line. But on googling, it seems waxing right after purchasing is a good thing. Also some sites mention waiting for 1-2 months before waxing to let the paint cure fully. Whatever that means.

I have only had one of my GT's aligned. That was after I hit a huge pot hole on the highway during a massive rain storm that washed out a piece of the road they were fixing. I bunch of us filed a claim with the state. The alignment shop said it was a good thing I had a Subaru, most of the other cars he'd seen that hit the pot hole had suspension damage. I got tires out of it.

That was back in 1999, my 00, had it for 72,000 mile never aligned, my 05 has 97,000 never aligned. Tires wear even. I rotate them when I think about once during the summer for the summer only tires, and snow tires when I take them off after the winter. BTW I drive more in the winter. It's a skiing thing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for this. I was thinking of waxing one year down the line. But on googling, it seems waxing right after purchasing is a good thing. Also some sites mention waiting for 1-2 months before waxing to let the paint cure fully. Whatever that means.

Find out how long the car has been sitting on the lot. If it's an '09 then it could be a month. With the car sitting on the lot against the street for display all the dust and crap from passing cars can get embedded into the clear coat. If the car is older than 1 month, then I would clay bar it and then apply a nice coat of wax to it. This way you'll have nice smooth paint and it'll be ready for the winter. If I were you, I would clay bar right when I bought the car and then right after the winter. This way the paint lasts a longer time. Thats how I do it, clay bar and wax in the late fall and clay bar and wax in the early spring.

Currently, I balance everytime I rotate the tires on the Camry which I do every six months. I do not get the alignment done unless it is required. What would you guys recommend for Legacy? Balancing everytime I rotate and alignment if required

I don't think it's necessary to re-balance the tires. If the wheel weights are still there, it shouldn't be needed. Just rotate front to back (or whatever your manual says).

Alignment as required. When rotating, inspect the tires for uneven wear patterns. Some people report outer tread wearing quickly on fronts or rears--this often indicates a toe adjustment or camber adjustment needed.

You should consider using a sealant instead of a wax. This may be nitpicky, but there's a difference and sealants protect better. Waxes arguably look better (a bit deeper or wetter looking) but don't last very long.

I have 18000 on my 2008 Legacy. I have no problem with my alignment yet from what I see but I have a coupon from Firestone for $30 off any service. Firestone offers lifetime alignment so itll cost me around $120 after the coupon for the lifetime alignment. Ive read you need to get alignment every 6 months but I dont see nothing wrong with it with my naked eyes.

Archived