LegacyGT.com

Test driving an 09 WRX?

Garandman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? I have no beef with a new engine, provided it's better than the original and they extend the warranty. Keep in mind that I might drive the new car 7 miles and it would happen again....
because cars are never the same after they have been ripped apart.

youre always going to be thinking you hear noises. youre going to constantly be turning down the radio and asking yourself

'did it make that noise before? is it suppose to sound like that?

believe me, its going to drive you nuts... :spin:

swapping a new motor in takes all of one day. It's not a major issue. SOA doesn't have dealers crack open the block to repair as they want the whole thing back to do a post-mortem on. They've got complete longblocks in shipping cases sitting at the warehouse for just this type of repair. At least that's how they explained the process to us when we got a tour of the NJ warehouse in Mount Holly.

true, but they had both there, as well as transmissions and remans. Call me crazy, but I feel better about getting a reman motor from SOA then having the dealer crack it open to replace parts.

was that a warranty thing?

the way the whole spare motor and logistics plan was explained was that a dealer was never more than two days from a replacement being delivered. Now, having catastrophic issues with production and that eating up spares is another discussion entirely (and certainly relevant).

how is everything going???

i always thought buying new meant no problems.. change the oil.. check your fluids.. change/rotate tires... brake pads... put some gas in it good to go right??? not so much i guess...whats with subaru these days???

to think i was worried about my car hitting 60,000... i guess i should be happy its still running.. *knock on wood*

they try to replace as little as possible. usually they will only replace the shortblock.

I got a complete, new engine: saw it today. The owner of the dealership called SOA Weds and the engine arrived yesterday. I'm travelling on business next week so told them no rush. But it's a days work and should be done before I'm back. Met the mechanic doing the work and was impressed because I had my new bike in the truck and he knew it was a V-Strom at first glance.

Oh, did I mention that I took an 08 STi for a test drive? SOA is offering 0% for 63 months and dealer rebates up to $5,000. Also on the table was a 100% trade-in towards an STi. Love the gearbox, DCD, handling, brakes, but decided for a number of reasons to stick with the WRX.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Are there going to be any posts about "Test driving an '09 WRX"? :spin:

Yes, it looked like this:

I caught up with LGT'r Mike C @ Manchester Subaru and we went for a test drive. I headed off to some of my favorite twisties around Lake Masabesic, and some highway travel.

The car is not going to be in MOMA anytime soon but the driving dynamics are spectacular and the price/performance ratio equally so. They gave me a very fair price and I bought a Rally Blue 5 door Premium, to be picked up next week!

Front seats are a great mix of comfort and support during cornering, without being difficult to get in/out. May go with a Katzkin kit like the OBW.

What else would you like to know? My driving experience is now th test drive plus 7 miles so i dont have a lot to add.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Update, the new engine is installed. The dealer service manager seems of the opinion that the delivery driver from the other dealer may have beat on it, since he finds signs of abuse on the clutch, which they replaced. He said that what usually happens is that kids get on the gas, and miss the right shift gate, going from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th. This effectively defeats the rev limiter. The shifter is not perfect but it's not that bad, and I'm planning on staying with the stock linkage for some time, as I don't find the throws onerous.

They called and asked permission to take it for an extended test drive and make sure all is good. I am waiting to hear back on what they are going to do for warranty coverage before I pick it up.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Update, the new engine is installed. The dealer service manager seems of the opinion that the delivery driver from the other dealer may have beat on it, since he finds signs of abuse on the clutch, which they replaced. He said that what usually happens is that kids get on the gas, and miss the right shift gate, going from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th. This effectively defeats the rev limiter. The shifter is not perfect but it's not that bad, and I'm planning on staying with the stock linkage for some time, as I don't find the throws onerous.

They called and asked permission to take it for an extended test drive and make sure all is good. I am waiting to hear back on what they are going to do for warranty coverage before I pick it up.

at least they were honest about it. sounds like a decent dealership, is this the one in manchester?

Archived