LegacyGT.com

disconnected axel from hub

captainmorgan

So I'm pulling my coilovers out and replacing my stock struts. I pulled the passenger side yoke out too far and the axel disconnected from the hub (I think Subaru calls it an EBJ, I'd call it a CV joint).

How do I put it back together? Can I do it without removing the boot?

Not sure on the hub side, but on the transmission side it just snaps in. Ask me how I know :lol:

Wait a second - you caused the axle to come apart? Since I don't think you poped it out of the hub - there is big ass nut holding it in the hub.

I don't think it's something meant to be separated. Subaru sells entire axles as units.

I took the clamp off because I couldn't get it to fit back together.

It's like it gets stuck. I think that once it gets started, the mating splines need to orient perfectly or it gets jammed.

The factory service manual is useless on this.

Oh well, guess I have to drive the motorcycle more! :p

yeah that axle isn't supposed to come apart like that.There's a snap ring that holds it in place.

It won't go back in because it's hitting the snap ring. Dig it out, put it back on the groove, re-fill the boot with grease, and get a new clamp for the boot. It should pop back together.

No snap ring to be found anywhere. Jammed my fingers in there deep :p

Unless it disintegrated over time, I'd venture to say it never existed, or when I have my CV boot last replaced the tech never put it back together right.

I looked over at Nasioc and iwsti and found a couple similar topics. Same problem, guys were able to just pop the axle out like that, nothing holding it in. Always on the passenger side too. I dont know if there was a bad run of these from the supplier or what.

Archived