LegacyGT.com

E85 tuning and regular tuning difference?

Deunan

What's the main difference?

Fueling. Stoich on E85 uses 43% more fuel than stoich on straight gas. At WOT the difference is only 25-30% more fuel since you can run leaner on E85. If you make the appropriate fueling changes that's all you need for a good safe ride on E85. However, you can do more. It's 105 octane so you can also run more timing. Spool is also a tad quicker so you can tune to take advantage of that.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

That is correct so long as your set up has enough injector and pump to run the E85 map.

True. I'm pretty sure injector headroom will run out before pump capacity so you'll be limited by injectors first. Log injector duty cycles (IDC's) on a couple WOT runs. If you IDC's don't go above 70-75% or so then you probably have enough fueling capacity to run E85. To really know for sure if you'd need to upgrade your fuel pump also, you'd have to switch to E85 and then watch AFR's closely to see your AFR's start wandering lean away from your map values.

I'm not sure if anyone would be running stock IDC's this low however. Possibly a stage 1 car at high altitude.

My '05 LGT

I can attest. Even at stage I you will run out of injector on E-85. I must run 0% WGDC past ~ 5,000 rpm to keep boost and therefore IDC in check. HOWEVER, the car makes considerably more average power and even makes a few more horsepower up top versus pump 92 octane despite running less boost.

newbie question alert:

i thought E85 was bad for your motor?? i thought anything more than 10% ethanol was bad for engines in general? doesn't it ruin seals??

ive heard they were going to stop producing E85 in the not so distant future

i guess it doesnt really matter for me.. in MA i have never ever seen E85 advertised/for sale...

doesn't it ruin seals??

Seals do just fine with it. It's sea lions that it ruins. People are always getting sea lions and seals confused.

Seriously though, it's fine. There is a massive thread on NASIOC that addresses this issue ad nauseum and the consensus (and lack of evidence to the contrary) is that E85 is fine for seals.

My '05 LGT

Been running it for a while now...it is $.80 cheaper a gallon than premium but I get a couple less mpg...it balances out about the same, but it is 105 octane!!

Things I have noticed:

1) 35 hp/55 lb/ft on the dyno with nothing but road tuning on the E85. I really think I could pick up a couple more hp up top with some dyno time.

2) faster spool, using less WGDC

3) slight deepening of exhaust note for some reason

4) REALLY clean fuel system now.

There is a huge thread on NASIOC on this. It is where I got a bunch of my info.

There is a guy that has been running it on his wrx for like 5 years now with no issues.

It is probably around to stay as it is getting cheaper and cheaper to produce as there are advances to refining and new cellulosic technologies available where it is made from sources other than feed corn. Current estimates say around $1.00 per gallon plus the cost of the gasoline that it contains.

With higher compression it is actually possible to make better mpg on E85 as it uses the advantage of higher octane. When I say higher, I mean around 15-17:1 compression. The higher the compression ratio, the lower the loss in mpg. A E85 fueled car recently won the mpg contest or whatever it is called.

Other than that, the new found power is GREAT! My little wrx is still on the stock turbo and making more torque with a 2.0 engine than a stage 1 Sti!

Archived