LegacyGT.com

Road vs. Dyno Tune

simontempler

First off, I'm a noob at this - data logging, tuning and all - which is increasingly gaining my attention and a growing itch to try it.

what I would like to know is, are there significant differences in the tunes?

Is one tuned for DD and the other for extracting max power?

Need input please. Thx.

Is it possible to achieve a smooth tune just from a dyno tune? Is doing the dyno first then road the proper approach to reaching the 'ideal' tune?

On a road tune only, are max power gains achieved or is it best to attain them from the dyno?

sorry, my mind is scattered all over the place... my uh, stocks kinda tanked lately.

I always tune the car on the dyno and make fine adjustments on the street. Tuning on the dyno allows me to see the small (but cumulative gains from small changes) and verifying the tune on the street allows me to see that the tune is stable and predictable under the conditions you drive in every day.

• 2 weeks later...
The nice part about dyno tuning is that on a load dyno, you can hold the rpms while at 100% throttle at a certain specific rpm and load point in the map. This enables you to make changes and see exactly what gains you get in each particular cell of a map. This IMHO enables you to get the most out of a tune. I think both have their places. Since I don't have free access to a dyno, I mainly road tune and I seem to get some results pretty close to the professional tuners who use the dyno, but if you want to squeek out every last inch of hp, the dyno is very helpful.

Archived