LegacyGT.com

Crazy for considering Goodyear TT's as winter tires?

TimGinCentralNJ

COST!

I didnt say they cannot be designed for a season. A season is a broad term SNOW is a more specific term. People buy dedicated tires for WINTER due to SNOW.

What tire is designed for Cold weather?

Studs are for ice and some snow, siped are for snow. We are talking specifics when we say these things- not seasonal.

Like I said winter tires in CA would be non-siped, summer tires. CA still has a season of winter just not like we have.

You wouldnt dare call it a winter because they dont have COLD (like you said) or SNOW which are more specific terms. It is still winter though.

Season= more broad term

Snow= more specific term

• 2 weeks later...
He lives in New Jersey! They get 16-20" of snow per season!

Bingo. And therein lies the problem ;) Actually, I think we got about half that last year :(

If cost were no issue, I'd stick with the dedicated winters and dedicated summers--if for no other reason than knowing that should the worst possible winter weather ever hit NJ, I'll be able to drive in it. But since cost IS an issue--and both sets of tires need replacing, I was really hoping that one of the new HPAS or UHPAS tires out there **might** come with a set of trade-offs/compromises I could live with.

I do realize that All Seasons do nothing as well as a dedicated winter or summer tire, but let's face the facts...I drive a stock OBXT with the awful stock suspension :lol: and I'm beginning to forget what snow looks like.

Tim

I hope that we agree at least that Nokians WR G2 are the most expensive tires from this bunch.

Krzys

Hell ya' I'll drink to that!

The only local place which sells Nokians quoted me $225/tire installed for a set of WR-G2's :eek: To be honest, I'm pretty sure I can pick up a set of GY UltraGrip GW3's and a set of decent UHP summers for that much or less.

Tim

To answer your initial question and where you live the TT would be great if you dont mind the H rating. I didnt notice a whole lot of difference when i went to these from the re92's

Besides who needs dedicated snow tires for 16-20" of snow?

I have the triple tread on my outback in KC MO. and we also get that amount of snow. These tires work perfect on wet roads and pretty great in the snow as well. (at least for that amount) Best all around tire I have ever owned.

I want a more performance A/S so I am going with the pilot sport A/S soon.

The TT are H rated not V like the Outback XT RE92s and not Z like the pilots.

Really though I thought the TT were actually better than the stock RE92s.

Hey Greg-

I have experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S from my old 7-Series....and aside from the well-known issue of the center strip of tread wearing prematurely....I absolutely love them. I had gotten feedback from other board members about how they do on the OBXT in general--but not so much info about how they do in snow. Bottom line was, it sounded like they're A LOT of tire for these cars and get so much grip that they tend to bring out the shortcomings in our suspension, etc. They also wear pretty fast--especially on a car like Subaru which tends to munch tires to begin with.

If you look at the ratings for the Michelins on tirerack.com, you'll see they're a few notches down in overall rankings from the Yokohama ADVAN S.4--but rated almost identically in light snow, deep snow and ice traction. Have you looked into the Yokos at all? They're running $159/tire on tirerack as opposed to $180/tire for the Michies.

Tim

Hell ya' I'll drink to that!

The only local place which sells Nokians quoted me $225/tire installed for a set of WR-G2's :eek: To be honest, I'm pretty sure I can pick up a set of GY UltraGrip GW3's and a set of decent UHP summers for that much or less.

Tim

Check http://www.tire-easy.com.

Nokians now cost $300+ for one tire. I suspect they adjusted their price for $160 per barel.

Krzys

PS Other places seem to have more sane pricing. I do not how how it works.

Check www.tire-easy.com.

Nokians now cost $300+ for one tire. I suspect they adjusted their price for $160 per barel.

Krzys

PS Other places seem to have more sane pricing. I do not how how it works.

That makes 2 of us who don't understand how it works.

I just paid $2.87 for Shell Ultra 93 yesterday, yet for some reason those industries which use petroleum products to produce goods don't seem to too quick to adjust their prices to reflect the drop in oil prices. I'm sure my local home heating oil provider hasn't adjusted his prices either :mad:

Tim

tiresbyweb.com isn't too bad for Nokian

205/50R17 RSi $152ea WRG2 $178

215/45R17 RSi $186ea WRG2 $208

I bought my 205/50R17 RSi locally (John & Sons in Manchester, NH) for under $160ea installed two years ago. Around the Boston area I couldn't find them under $200ea.

$300ea is ridiculous, even now.

We had 2-3" of snow here in northwest Jersey today. I decided to get the new Eagle GT's, should be ordering them from Tire Rack next week.

Very cool!

Am curious to hear how you end up liking them. For a while, they were still so new I couldn't find any real info or reviews on them.

I'm also glad a fellow OBXT owner is trying them 'cause I think there's a real "disconnect" between the tire experiences the LGT owners here--and what us OB and OBXT owners experience....mostly because of the crappy suspension on our cars and the fact we're also running 55-Series rubber rather than 45-Series of the LGTs.

As for me, I'm still agonizing over the decision...and also biding my time to save some $$ as baby #2 is due within the next 2-4 weeks. Since the OB is my car...I can't pull the ol' "we need these tires for your safety" card. As for my safety, I'm pretty much chopped liver! :o) Somehow it's ok that we recently dropped $3700 on her Expedition (incl. new tires), yet I've got to go before the "Spanish Inquisition" to get so much as a new set of tires on my car - lol

Tim

Archived