LegacyGT.com

No Formula One in North America

f1anatic

It's no doubt dropped cz Abu Dubai is the last race of 2009 and they built a nicer facility for all the sponsors. So with a limit of 18 races, one had to go so it was Canada (also a fly-away race that is more expensive than a Europeon race to go to).

^^Yeah...

Although, the Canadian GP has been F1's most watch race for the last decade or two and most attended. Also, its consistently one of the most watched sporting events in world with only the olypmics, superbowl or world cup soccer beating it in TV ratings.

Brilliant move FIA:rolleyes:

Spectators and quality of racing counts for little in Bernie's mind. Show Bernie da money!!! That said, some of the newer tracks (Turkey, Bahrain, Malaysia, China) have been good tracks for racing/overtaking.

Right... Money using follows the events that people actaully watch:lol:. F1 makes more money from commercial tie ins, then up front track fees.

The new tracks are boring, Gille Villeneuve circuit was one of the few high speed tracks that penalized drivers for sloppy driving. Can you remember the last boring Montreal GP?

Its usually one of the best/better races of the year.

Tell me about it. Being a native Montrealer, I attended many an F1 weekend event. However, the city is partially to blame here: the paddock was only re-done last year (it was still the original building from 1982) and the circuit is in desperate need of a re-surfacing. When pressed, the F1 supremos will say that infrastructure is what led to them deciding to can the event.

As for this years new events, Singapore is a great circuit, however, Velencia was nothing more than a procession. From a fan standpoint that circuit should be axed ASAP.

I attende dthe race there 3 times if memory serves me right. I skipped out on f1 this year cause there was no more Indy F1 and the schedule did not allow me to go to Montreal. I was going to attend next year (I have relatives in Montreal, go there every year, just not always for the race). I am incredibly disappointed of course and very pissed at the decision.

I would drop races like Valencia (just as boring of a race as Hungaroring of the past) - they already have Barcelona nearby. And I would drop China (low attendance) and Malayasia - never impressed me and now it is clearly overshaddowed by neighboring Singapore (phuck there is even a bridge between Malaya and S'Pore). I would bring back Imola and Nurburgring and of course the USGP and the Canadian races. It seems North America - the largest auto market in the world, counts little for the greedy bastards at FOM and FIA.

Imola is an emasculated circuit. It's as processional as Valencia/Hungary/Singapore. For racing, all of those circuits stink.

F1 is never going to penetrate the US market. They don't understand the US fan in terms of getting close to the cars/drivers off circuit and they are only in the country one out of 18 races. Americans have too many other sporting events going on inside the US borders; they can't be bothered to follow a series that only touches the US directly once a year. And without any drivers named Jimmy, to boot!

I attende dthe race there 3 times if memory serves me right. I skipped out on f1 this year cause there was no more Indy F1 and the schedule did not allow me to go to Montreal. I was going to attend next year (I have relatives in Montreal, go there every year, just not always for the race). I am incredibly disappointed of course and very pissed at the decision.

I would drop races like Valencia (just as boring of a race as Hungaroring of the past) - they already have Barcelona nearby. And I would drop China (low attendance) and Malayasia - never impressed me and now it is clearly overshaddowed by neighboring Singapore (phuck there is even a bridge between Malaya and S'Pore). I would bring back Imola and Nurburgring and of course the USGP and the Canadian races. It seems North America - the largest auto market in the world, counts little for the greedy bastards at FOM and FIA.

Nürburgring - Nordschleife a.k.a. the green hell or the new track?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/N%C3%BCrburgring_-_Nordschleife.svg/800px-N%C3%BCrburgring_-_Nordschleife.svg.png

For all that there is Monza is not bad.

453747.png

I'm sad to see it go. Those races have always been some of the most exciting.

This years GP was very good, last years was great. Do you remember that last year there was a new driver (Whinklehock? I know that's probably spelled wrong) who dove into the pits during the recon lap and went to full wets. He started the GP in last place, was leading the GP after the red flag restart and I think DNF'd. Was he driving a Toro Roso?

I thought during the pre-race show for one of the GP's this year, Bernie announced that there would be a USGP on the 09 or 10 calendar? Wonder what happened to that?

F1 teams working to reinstate Canada

By Jonathan NobleThursday, October 9th 2008, 10:30 GMT

Formula One team principals are set to hold talks about ways to get the Canadian Grand Prix back on the calendar in 2009, autosport.com has learned.

The race in Montreal was dropped from the schedule earlier this week, meaning F1 currently has no race in North America for the first time since the world championship came into existence in 1950.

Although there are suspicions that F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone could be using the Canadian GP situation to improve the financial terms of holding the event, both from the promoters and the teams, there is genuine concern in the paddock about the impact of losing the race from the schedule.

Honda Racing CEO Nick Fry told autosport.com: "I don't think it is a short-term problem, but it is a problem that does need to be addressed. We are a global series and not to be performing in one of the major continents is a serious problem - even more so because it is a continent that is very important for the motor manufacturers who are involved in F1.

"We need to look at the north American continent situation from a more strategic point of view and work out how we increase our popularity. I don't think you can just look at one race – you have to look at the whole situation there and put together a package which increases our appeal in North America. Then, the financial problems we have appearing at just one race in the continent, will go away."

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen added: "I haven't got any explanation of the decision and how it came about, so I think we will discuss it."

The decision to drop Canada and hand its June 7 date to Turkey was prompted by the teams' desire to have a summer break inserted into next year's calendar.

It is understood that one solution being looked at now is for Canada to return to its original date, and the Turkey event to then switch to early August, just one week after the Hungarian GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71237

Nürburgring - Nordschleife a.k.a. the green hell or the new track?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/N%C3%BCrburgring_-_Nordschleife.svg/800px-N%C3%BCrburgring_-_Nordschleife.svg.png

For all that there is Monza is not bad.

Hold it on the old track! Just pour some money into refurbishing the surface. Or better yet, don't and make the teams field a car that can put up with taking a beating over rough stretches of pavement.

What does ^ have to do with the fact that there will be no more F1 races in North America anymore? Wez dumb Americans would rather watch 43 cars take about 1,000 left turns in 3 hours instead.

Funny story. I'm wearing my old Team Spirit Renault/Alonso hat at one of my sons soccer games last Saturday and walk by a guy wearing a F1 Ferrari jacket. I make a comment about Ferrari blah and then say, "Well, I guess I'm not the only F1 fan in Exeter." We both just laugh and kinda shake our heads in agreement.

It's sad there are so few F1 fans in North America. Maybe we don't deserve a F1 race. That being said, I'm gonna need a nap to watch the Japan Grand Prix at midnight on Speed!

Archived