LegacyGT.com

Just did a couple of improvements.

Well first off I took off the crossbars on the roof rack and both in town and highway mpg's went up by two. So very happy there. Then part of my 30k service I swapped the brake fluid with Amsoil Brake Fluid and it is a major improvement. Obviously not as much as upgraded rotors etc. but a big difference. I also have amsoil tranny fluid, engine oil and diff fluids in the car.

My driving is so mixed I don't know the difference. Some days I do more highway, others more city. I'm still glad to be getting around 28mpg most of the time (my own calculations; the dash displays about 2mpg higher).

I also have bugs kamikaze the rails and splatter their guts all over the roof, so another reason to take 'em off.

I log all fuel use and often have the crossbars off. I'd believe a .2 mpg improvement, maybe.

Biggest difference is that it makes it a lot easier to sweep snow and ice off the top. I use Thule bars now anyway as they are so much stronger.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Could be the fuel mixture. I don't know if you have a higher level of ethanol or something like that. The EPA says my car should get 20/26mpg, I'm routinely around 28mpg on every fill up. It's 44 miles round trip for work every day, a lot of it is highway. I find that when I'm in traffic at 50mph I'm getting even better mileage. The slower you drive it lessens the drag effect so the cross bars wouldn't make much difference, like in my situation. At a constant 70mph it would.

I live in Seattle and make a 6 mile commute each way in my 2006 OB non turbo. Half of the commute is highway but with traffic so I am traveling at about 20 to 40 mph. I am getting 16 to 17 mpg. This seems pretty bad considering Subaru states that the car should be getting 22 to 27 mpg. Anyone have the same issue and or does anyone have any suggestions? I do however get 27 mpg when I am full on highway driving.

I miss Washington. Used to be stationed at Fort Lewis, my wife is from Tenino. For gas improvement flush to amsoil tranny fluid, motor oil and diff fluids. Also remove cross bars. This netted me 2mpgs.

This is without cross bars.

Will all of that give me 8 more mpg's?

I have all stock fluid. Shouldn't the car get what 22 mpg in the city like that?

It depends on how much stop and go-ing you're doing, hills and such. I'm getting more than the rated MPG on the highway but am sure I can get less than the rated MPG in the city if I do a lot of idling and stop at most lights. The estimated MPG's are just that, not guarantee's. You are getting 27mpg when cruising on the highway so that's normal. Synthetic fluids will help but not if you you're moving slow, do a lot of on and off the gas, have hills, etc.

This is without cross bars.

Will all of that give me 8 more mpg's?

I have all stock fluid. Shouldn't the car get what 22 mpg in the city like that?

I log ALL fuel use and have since new - 60,000 miles.

A roof box costs me 1.1 mpg. I can't tell the difference between mpg with and without crossbars.

Anyone expecting more than tiny improvement in mpg by removing their crossbars is going to be disappointed. It is much more convenient to brush off snow, and certainly can't hurt.

If you think otherwise - post the fuel logs that prove it. One tank each doesn't prove anything.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

No I do not have any hills and yes I do have some stop and go driving but as I originally said that makes up half of my commute. The other half is highway with some traffic so I am cruising at about 25 to 40 mph. I have noticed that my auto trans tends to shift a lot higher in the rpm's then I would if I was shifting myself. Does anyone know if there is any way to program the auto to shift at lower rpm's?

Archived