LegacyGT.com

Almost NSFW diesel boxer engine pr0n

urs1ne

Compliments of Jalopnik.com

http://jalopnik.com/5058493/subaru-boxer-diesel-unveiled-for-forester-impreza-and-legacy-in-paris

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/Boxerengine.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/Boxergraph.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/Boxerengineside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/boxerapart1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/ursine/boxerapart.jpg

^ n00bs below this line

Step 1: Build a new Baja, an actually GOOD baja, from the new Forester, with a good transmission, good brakes, and the ability to tow 3000-5000lb trailer weight, with this boxer diesel engine.

Step 2: unknown... WAIT, I do know... market it, and stock it at dealerships!

Step 3: Profit.

The Baja was a good concept, and an even BETTER one in the current market for smaller, more efficient vehicles, if one still wants utility, but not a behemoth truck.

It was just executed below it's potential, including it's light-duty towing capacity. It doesn't need to pull a Winnebago travel trailer, but pulling a utility trailer, watercraft or a personal boat, or a car-dolly or something might be nice.

This engine, in such a vehicle, burning french-fry diesel (reclaimed veggie oil converted to diesel) would be cool.

But in terms of a car... the engine tapers off before 4k rpms... not going to be a sporty engine. Doesn't need to be, but I hope people don't confuse it with one

^^^ I see too many people towing stuff with their STIs, I totally agree with you, I would love to have a Subaru that could also be used as a "work" truck

Are LGT can tow 2700lbs. Just need a hitch & trailer.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

It may be do-able once...

But the bolts/welds of the hitch and chassis get strained, and more importantly, it is more wear on the engine, and a lot more heat in the driveline and transmission, and in the brakes when trying to decelerate more than twice the regular vehicle weight.

There is more to towing than just what it looks like, on one occaision. And failures can be catastrophic on the road.

A vehicle is rated to tow for what it can repeatedly tow without damage or eventual failure.

A vehicle with properly sized brakes, cooling for drivetrain fluids, and a robust engine to have enough torque to be useful with combined vehicle weight.

A Forester with a diesel engine could probably be that vehicle, with good brakes, and a transmission cooler. But it would be even more utilitarian in a baja-like small truck, that can also carry a bit of cargo without a trailer, also. Something a small fraction smaller and lower than the Ridgeline. Much like the Baja, but built a bit more robustly, and styled like the squarer Forester, instead of an Outback or Tribeca. Using some tribeca drivetrain bits, like wheel hubs and bigger brakes, with wider bolt patterns could be useful, though.

Now if we could only get that Intercooler for the Diesel motor. Look at those endtanks and inlet as well.

Looks the same as ours, just the black plastic end tanks are painted silver in this case. Inlets might be larger.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

The Baja was a good concept, and an even BETTER one in the current market for smaller, more efficient vehicles, if one still wants utility, but not a behemoth truck.

Make it a 2-seater with a longer bed and you will have a pick-up worth to use, like the old Brat. That short bed the Baja has is just plain weird and relatively useless.

453747.png

Make it a 2-seater with a longer bed and you will have a pick-up worth to use, like the old Brat. That short bed the Baja has is just plain weird and relatively useless.

On the front, I would agree... but 4 door pickups are getting more popular.

I am thinking of a smaller version of the H3T, or Ridgeline, with good AWD, Outback/Forester moderate ride height, and a small bed for going to the home despot.

Someone who wants a "useable" bed, and a pick up worth using are going to get a real pickup truck anyway, because they'll use it.

I had a Ranger with a 6-foot stepside bed, and I hardly ever used it, it just caused wind-drag most of the time... I only used it very occaisionally. I just don't want to put a lawn mower or a snow blower in the trunk of my Legacy again, and want something to bring home a christmas tree.

A bed extender might allow for some other stuff, or a dirt bike or something... and a good cargo management system might handle some lumber or something.

But much more than that... why not rent, or own a utility trailer, and be able to pull it? A trailer will likely have better loading characteristics, anyway.

Being able to haul a bunch of stuff in the bed means that the rear suspension has to be a lot harder, and that affects driving all the time, even when the bed is empty. a trailer can do that, and you don't carry that all the time.

People who want a real truck will always get just that, a real truck. And real trucks have their advantages.

But for some reason, small trucks for yard work, or light utility uses, and being able to pull a utility trailer have not been updated to also be practical enough to seat at least four normal people, or travel well.

THAT is where subaru can carve their niche. Subaru doesn't need a toyota Tacoma alternative. Even the Honda Ridgeline is a bit bigger than what I have invisioned.

The Baja's size was nice. The outback front end was dorky, because you thought it was a car until you saw the back. the cargo room in the bed wasn't bad, but could be a couple inches longer, perhaps... But the big thing is, that it couldn't pull anything, because it still had meager brakes, and the transmission wasn't up to the task, even with the turbocharged engine. The Baja Concept was supercharged... that would have been a wiser choice, perhaps, for torque.

Now along comes this diesel. a TORQUE MACHINE that gets good gas mileage, a great solution for such a vehicle, as well as the Forester. Also, the new Forester. a handsome little SUV that looks like a little SUV should...

Chop the rear roof off, and give it a bed... Give it a bit more masculine grille, and you have something even a bit better, especially if it can have a locking compartment like Ridgeline, or Chrysler's new RamBox box side compartments... for jumper cables, and what not that shouldn't be flailing around in the bed, but not in the interior cabin, either.

Give it a trans cooler, and heavy duty gears and diffs...

Give it some meaty brakes... Like I said, use the Tribeca's running gear on the Forester's suspension dimensions. (that will give it some wheel and tire options, too, 5x114, rather than 5x100 bolt pattern.)

They could upgrade the Forester, and this proposed Baja II, with the more robust hardware, and I think people would welcome it.

Theoretically, they could shorten the roof even more, and make a Brat II, but I still think those going for a two door, front seat only pickup... are going to buy a domestic pickup, or maybe a Toyota. I am not sure Subaru should get into that fray.

Jeep won't bring us the JT pickup based on the wrangler. The Dodge Rampage concept is going nowhere... Subaru could do this with the hardware that they already have, and corner a niche.

In a new economy where less is more... and value is king... an AWD turbo diesel subaru 4-door mini-truck that can pull up to a class III trailer (5000lbs gross/500lbs tongue weight) would be great.

I like the H3T for the same sort of reasons... but it is a tad tall, very aero-deficient even for an SUV/Truck, and to do anything with it, you really probably need the Alpha with the 5.3 V8, and there is no diesel engine option. It probably has more agricultural 4WD for off-roading, but Subaru's real AWD is better on pavement, and can still get around pretty well off the pavement, without needing to scale boulders.

Are LGT can tow 2700lbs. Just need a hitch & trailer.

Mike

Actually Legacy in Europe is rated to tow 4200-4400 lbs. trailer (depending whether it's 2.5i or 3.0R). Same car, it's just either U.S. regulations or liability issues.

Actually Legacy in Europe is rated to tow 4200-4400 lbs. trailer (depending whether it's 2.5i or 3.0R). Same car, it's just either U.S. regulations or liability issues.

Maybe it's kilos?:lol:?

I would say safety regulations.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I would assume that it is as the origin of direct fuel injection was diesel engines, but I'll ask anyway as this is Subaru we are talking about here. Is the Subaru boxer diesel direct injected?

Nobody makes any other type of diesel these days except for lawnmowers and other minor or special machinery where the fuel is injected in a separate chamber with the glow plug. The direct injected diesels have a higher compression ratio and are more efficient. So there is a huge difference between the diesels of yesterday and modern diesels.

Direct fuel injection has been available in diesels since at least the 60's - and the MB300SL (gullwing) had direct injection gasoline.

453747.png

4400 kilos would be over 8000 lbs, so maybe the US cars are rated in kilos...

Metric system => me

FYI, 2700lbs. is the max tow weight of are LGT's, is set by Subaru. Staying with in that weight. Your drive train should be just find.

Mike

If you're towing that kind of weight though, seriously recommend a separate, augmenting oil cooler and a FMIC. Pulling those kinds of loads, means that your LGT is staying on boost for much longer periods of time (to keep the "pull" up) and that means increased cooling demands for both the engine coolant and the oil. Having a FMIC means that you're not suffering from heat soak like you would definitely have with a TMIC sitting directly above a red-hot turbo and that would produce more power (cooler inlet temps) with less stress on the overall system.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What I'd like to see is a truck built on the Tribeca chassis (which is an overgrown Outback chassis to start), with something akin to a 3.6 TD and a 6MT (geared appropriately to the TD's power band) with Hi/Lo differential.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived