LegacyGT.com

'05 to '08 Rear Bumper and Taillight Conversion

Hops

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is only true for the 05-07 USDM models. Although they look SO similar, the USDM and JDM tail lights for our 08-09 cars are not interchangeable without tail light mounts and bumper cover.

You're saying you need JDM mounts and bumper to fit JDM tails? Why? I'm asking because I eventually want the JDM tails...

If you have an '08/'09 USDM Legacy and want D-F JDM rear tails, then yes, bumper and brackets are needed. If you have an '05 to '07 USDM Legacy and want A-C JDM tails, then JDM tails will swap right over. Hope that clarifies everything.

The red lens is taller and lines up with the deck lid body lines

The JDM tails are actually shorter as a whole, than the USDM. If you have a USDM '08 rear bumper, you must use the USDM '08 rear tails. I'll take pics side by side.

To accentuate Shaun's point. JDM bumper on the right and USDM on the left. The JDM is lightly taller, thus the reason for the tail light being physically shorter by about 1cm.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8333/8146614752_133e07cd28_b.jpg

Ohhhh you don't even know the half of it.... there are so many things that are "so close" that it makes no sense for them to be different. Take the EDM rear ends.... they use a hybrid JDM rear bumper with USDM fitment for rear beam. Get this, they also use JDM rear tails so the bumper is taller under the tail lights just like JDM. They have the option to use the Faux vents or illuminated lights (USDM uses reflectors). Why the europeans didn't just use the USDM bumper cover and beam... and give both EDM and USDM the option to run faux vents/illuminated lamps instead of reflectors... I'll never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Ohhhh you don't even know the half of it.... there are so many things that are "so close" that it makes no sense for them to be different. Take the EDM rear ends.... they use a hybrid JDM rear bumper with USDM fitment for rear beam. Get this, they also use JDM rear tails so the bumper is taller under the tail lights just like JDM. They have the option to use the Faux vents or illuminated lights (USDM uses reflectors). Why the europeans didn't just use the USDM bumper cover and beam... and give both EDM and USDM the option to run faux vents/illuminated lamps instead of reflectors... I'll never know.

Interesting...so EDM bumper is also different from JDM and USDM? Or is it the same as JDM bumper with different crash beam than USDM?

there is no beam behind 05 rear jdm bumper, maybe its only on the later 06-09 models

there is only small mounting bracket just under the boot lid

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/desperatedano/IMG_20120620_135807.jpg

Also 05 jdm tails fit 05 usdm, just need to modify the wiring to make use of the built in fogs

Archived