LegacyGT.com

As the release of the Legacy, and then following on, the Legacy GT arrive here, I am wondering if anyone has gotten any insurance quotes yet from their carriers. About how much would it cost to insure this vehicle? Also, are there any benefits to the engine immobilizer, 6 airbags and even a wagon on your insurance quote? I am just wondering as I am 24 and a male and living in NJ, which is the trifecta of death as far as car insurance goes. I have a spotless driving record, but was just wondering if anyone has gotten any quotes, or know what category/ what cars it would be priced with. Thanks! tallguy

Good question. Should be about what the current Legacy is, as not being an Impreza, its record won't be sullied by association with the unruly kids. Now, we can just hope that people won't buy them and drive the cars like jackarses. Kevin

Checked with insurance here yesterday under WEAC since my mom's a teacher (thank god I can still stick under them.) I'm a 22yo Male Student in NE Wisconsin with a flawless record. Right now my 97 Leg GT Sedan is dirt cheap per quarter, less than $100. They didn't have figures for the new models yet (still a number of months out), but guessed a new GT Wagon would run me about an extra $20 or so a quarter. Not bad at all. They said a WRX Wagon (just for comparison) would be about $40-50 more a quarter. The Legacy is like a class 13 or 11 and Impreza models are in like a class 19 or something. Must be risk categories. I think the higher the class, the more you pay. I can't imagine the new GT would be much more than $20-30 more, we'll see when the IIHS gets their testing done how they look at it then also. ;)

I think that the turbo has less of an impact than the risk factor, where you live and your personal risk factors (age, marital status, etc.) as well as replacement cost for the car. Driving less than 12K per year also has a huge impact on your premium. And for you wagon folks, Legacy GT wagons should be cheaper to insure than sedans. I'll know in about six weeks. :D Kevin

Yeah, I was trying to get insurance info, but no deal. I'm almost 20, clean record, good student, and I'll be on my parents' policy. They rate cars by points, and yes I think the WRX sedan is 19 points. The higher the points, the higher the insurance cost. I am hoping the insurance won't be too bad with the safety features and the "family sedan" category.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='SC GT']How are people doing with the Forester XT? That might give you a clue.[/quote] I don't think so. 2 different cars.[/quote] I don't think the insurance classification for the old NA Forester and the old NA Legacy wagon would vary that much. It's not like the Forester is a truck based SUV.

[quote name='SC GT']I don't think the insurance classification for the old NA Forester and the old NA Legacy wagon would vary that much. It's not like the Forester is a truck based SUV.[/quote] I don't know how much of Subaru's marketing comes into play here. They try to market the FXT as a SUV. I'm not really sure how they diffentiate these two.

[quote name='SUBE555']Makes me wonder what a 1 rating is. ???[/quote]haha, that's a car you buy but never drive and never puts you or anyone else at risk. Ideally it'll be on blocks. But I guess there's no way to have 0 risk, the risk combination will just have to be really low for a 1 rating.

What's interesting is that safety is one of the lower factors, I think, that insurers consider. Because when you think about it, insurance is mostly liability coverage, in case you do something that they have to cover. So you can hit someone/thing, or have the car stolen. Insurance companies like older drivers, living in zip codes with a low incidence of claims activity (not necessarity wealthy, either), and for the insured car to be garaged, with an alarm system. The Legacy should get some style points for its passive safety features and Immobilizer Key, without which the car doesn't run. I don't know how many points it will get for what will undoubtedly be its most excellent crash ratings, however. Kevin

[quote name='CombatCQB']Too bad the base GT doesn't get immobilizer. I guess installing an aftermarket alarm would be just as good right?[/quote] It doesn't? Wait, I just checked the brochure scan, and it looks like the immobilizer comes standard on the GT Wagon, and GT Limited Sedan and Wagon, but not on the GT sedan, which is rather odd, but probably one reason that the wagon is a kilobuck upcharge over the sedan. Kevin

Insurance rates for vehicles are determined by exposure. If a car is very safe, it may have a lower premium for liability or injury coverages. If a car is very expensive, or replacement parts/labor are expensive, then this will affect the rate charged for coverages like comprehensive or collision. I would anticipate that the new Leg will be rated (initially) very similarly to the outgoing model. It may be slightly more expensive to insure, as the car costs more to replace than the MY04. Some states allow a performance surcharge to be applied if HP is high enough, but other than that (assuming the GT does not prove to be a considerably less safe vehicle), the GT should only cost more because it is a more expensive car than the i, and would cost more (potentially) for repairs. As for security systems, any affect on the policy would be a discount (or modifier) to the previously established rate. Insurance companies have lots of these, and states regulate which ones can be used. Discounts can range from good student, to receiving a discount for an affilitation with an organization (kinda like the Subaru discounts :roll: ). That about exhausts my knowledge of automobile underwriting...

• 3 weeks later...
Before the new Legacy came out, I was thinking about getting a WRX. Right now I'm paying a little over 1800 a year for full coverage on a 2000 RS through Hanover. When I priced out the WRX Hanover wanted 2800 a year. I thought about changing companies and found a carrier by the name of Mercury who wanted only a little over 1900. Hanover is realy beating up on young kids with fast cars, and when I say young I mean unmaried Male. Insurance rates realy suck here in Jersey, but since I have a cleas driving record, am over 26 years old (they just changed the cut off point to 29 so I'm lucky) it might be even cheaper to insure the Leggy.

[quote name='Th3Franz']I got a quote on a GT Limited (That's the only VIN I had, even though I am getting a regular GT) for about $790 every six months. This is considering I am under 21, but I have a clean record. This includes full liability and a $1000 deductible.[/quote] Could You find it in your heart to PM me with that VIN number so I could get a quote? Insurance payments are the only thing from making place an order for a new GT Limited.

Archived