LegacyGT.com

The quest for the perfect shifting continues

JoeFromPA

Hi all,

I'm not going to add anything new to the discussion as far as trying new products, but I have done several things with my 08 LGT's Cobb Short shifter in the past 3 days that might benefit others.

This is my wife's car, and we've both been dissatisfied with the shifting for a long time. Stock it was too high, too long, and too 'soft'. I installed a Cobb STS and it was "crunchy". At first, there was too much material for how tight the tolerances for some of the shifting was (noticeably 2nd).

I trimmed some rubber/foam insulation, and 2nd was no longer Herculean in it's required strength. But the rest was crunchy.

I've adjusted down on the shift height, up on the shift height, shorter throws, longer throws, etc.....and we've continued to be unhappy.

Most recently, it was set fairly short in throw and height. When shifting quickly above 3500 rpms (and I'm not talking powershifting here), it would resist going into 2nd/3rd and you'd hear the syncros whine. It was fairly notchy from time to time and just generally felt more "difficult and unruly" than it needed to be.

So...difficulty shifting, notchiness, whining syncros, occasional squeaks from lack of grease (see below). One thing someone mentioned at one point is that the pivot-bolt might be too tight...that helped too in the past (I loosened it about 1/2 turn)

So, here's what I've done in the past 3 days that have made me very happy with the shifting as of right now:

1. On Saturday my wife went to the gym...I ran a few errands and hopped back into the car with the intent of changing the throw and height while she was in the gym. I only got so far as to remove everything and then I see her walking back. Knowing she does not want to wait around while I fiddle, I immediately re-install. But I don't tighten the shift knob down all the way...I leave it maybe 3-threads unscrewed (as opposed to tightened firmly).

BAM! Shifting requires less effort and feels smoother. I don't know if i had excess material caught in there or it just needed 3-threads worth of extra height....but felt alot more "snick snick".

2. When I did my original install, the stock 08 had almost no spare grease and i'm sure I got rid of some in the swap. Shifting would often make squeaky noises, like it was dry metal rubbing against plastic/rubber. After reading on here about grease potentially easing shifting, I went and bought a tube of Supertech extreme pressure/temp grease (it's red and $2.97 for a big tube, which can be used on shifter bushings/other stuff). Tonight I attempted to uninstall the short shifter but couldn't get the C-Clip out (15 minutes, no luck). So I just piled the grease on everything....the "grotto" down by the shift ball, rolled it around 15-20 times to work some grease in. The shifting bushings, the metal tube that goes through the shifter bushings, the bolt that goes through the metal tube. Everything. Thick. It immediately seemed to move around nicer and be quieter.

I adjusted the shift throw down a little bit (meaning slightly longer throw) to help avoid syncro whine and reduce shifter effort. I raised height accordingly. I tightened the shift knob to firm...

Now it's, FINALLY, 90% there. The throws are medium in length, the shifter is medium in height. It's very light and tossable. It shifts gracefully with minimal resistance. Selecting 5th gear is much more natural than it was with the throw shorter....before there was a "step" between 4th and 5th. Now it glides more naturally into 5th.

Reverse is still locking out more often than I like. The shifter is still not "bolt-action" in precision. But it's very satisfying to shift.

I'd strongly recommend greasing up the shifter ball and pivot point with some new, quality moly/lithium grease. I hear Mobil 1 makes one of the best, but I didn't feel like shelling out $8. Adjusting the throw to a bit longer than absolutely necessary and the height a bit taller than "stubby look"....and voila. That's some quality shifting.

Next up before Dec. 1st - Extra-S in every hole...maybe a shorter/weightier shift knob or shifter bushings.

Joe

I never had those problem with my kartboy short throw but aside from good grease, I use jegs prothane grease, I do highly recommend replacing both front and rear stay bushings with hardened ones, makes a big difference in terms of more precise throws.

Unclemat - I've driven the STI STS and my problem with it was that it was not adjustable and cost 3 times as much as I put into mine so far (so far!).

It was too high for me and, though short, still notchy. After tonight, i would rate the shift feel of mine to be better than the STI STS I've driven.

That being said, I have worried about syncro wear, I've worried about dealerships (if I ever take the car to them), and I've had to fiddle with it ALOT (I can have the short shifter fully exposed in about 45 seconds now). You haven't had to deal with any of that.

I'm on a quest and I hope I can help others :)

Joe

P.s. Bought the Cobb STS from a member for $100 shipped.

The height with STI STS is knob dependent. With stock yes - too high. I use aftermarket Momo knob that sits deep on the rod. Perfect height (pretty low).

I bought the STI rod from a member for $80 :) Rest of the assembly is the same.

Yeah, I'm going to buy a Casopolis if I ever see one for sale. I love the delrin material, the fact that it's supposed to be weighted (heavier than stock at least), and it's nice, short height. And it's notched for the stock shift boot. And it was inexpensive. It's quite literally the perfect shift knob....in my eyes. Damn Casopolis!

I never had those problem with my kartboy short throw but aside from good grease, I use jegs prothane grease, I do highly recommend replacing both front and rear stay bushings with hardened ones, makes a big difference in terms of more precise throws.

I second that, I love my kartboy shifter with all the bushings. Although without a lightweight flywheel I almost shift too fast so I have a pause for a split second to let the revs come down. This is negated when I am driving hard, then its the perfect amount of clutch slip, somewhere between 500-1,000 rpms, so I can fly through the gears.

^ n00bs below this line

Brake fluid absorbs water in a semi sealed system (the braking system). AFAIK, opening a bottle of brake fluid means it's got about 2-3 weeks before it should be replaced due to sitting around.

But, good point about it being el cheapo. :)

Joe

Good info thanks Joe. I'll get some new grease in there and I've had the Kartboy bushings on my wish list for way too long. Extra-s is goin' in at the next service FOR SURE. I've got the Subaru Momo knob and noticed it's shorter than stock. I think the STi STS is a bit shorter too although it's probably an optical illusion (Ooops, I forgot the picture I have of the the stock and STi next to each other is on my other laptop).

Cheers!

I'm not at all going to get into it right now as I'll give it a few more days before writing up an assessment. So far, it's only in the trans. The viscosity you are speaking of, 20.4 cSt, is at ~212 degrees fahrenheit.

We haven't had a 25 degree morning yet, but I have not yet seen a single adverse effect....cold or hot. Again, I'll share more in a few days :)

Joe

Archived