LegacyGT.com

I get no respect! - Is it a subaru thing, an Outback thing, or a Socal thing?

sorry to rant here, but I feel like I get no respect on the road with my car, and I think it can basically be broken down to three major categories:

1- Sports-ish cars - They like to cut me off, no matter at what speed. Is it because I have a station wagon? They also seem very unhappy if I drive faster than them. They always want to cut me off and get in front of me, no matter how fast I'm driving.

2- On ramp shenanigans - I come up from behind on the on ramp, cut over 2 lanes when merging frees up and speed up. For some reason, these people always seem insulted that I pass them up. Then the try their best to scoot in front of me or cut me off.

3-Merging shenanigans - For some reason, cars want to try to squeeze ahead of me when lanes merge.

In the last 2 days, i've had a Lotus elise almost hit me, a Saab 9-3 Aero cut me off, and a handful of other cars mess around with me. Now don't get me wrong. I don't speed excessively for socal (75-85 on open freeways), nor accelerate excessively; I don't tailgate, nor play cat-and-mouse with other drivers. I definitely don't do ricer flybys. But, for some reason; I feel like I get no respect.

Just coming home tonight, as I'm about to go onto a freeway onramp (mind you, going 5-10 over); a new civic SI cuts me off. I let off a bit, and as soon as the freeway opens up, i speed up quickly and move over a couple of lanes...speed up to 80-85ish. A couple of seconds later, the SI does a flyby to cut me off. WHY?

So, is this a Subaru thing, a Outback thing, or a Socal thing? Or is it just because I drive a Subaru Outback in Socal ( a combination of all three) that has doomed me to being the automotive equivalency of a whipping post? Do you guys have to put up this with your LGTs/SpecB/OBXTs?

I would consider it a general jerk thing.

Why not place some stickers in the rear window supporting some police activity. "I support the police shooting team" or something. And then wear some clothing that resembles a police clothing at a cursory glance.

453747.png

it's not the subaru. it's not the outback. it's being in socal.

if you want to know :p

and check out the southern california subforum. we have stuff going on... almost never. but the times we DO do stuff you're welcome to join! i think so far we have zero outbacks, so it'll be nice to have some change of.. altitude/scenery :p

car for sale. PM me!

sorry to rant here, but I feel like I get no respect on the road with my car, and I think it can basically be broken down to three major categories:

1- Sports-ish cars - ... if I drive faster than them. They always want to cut me off and get in front of me, no matter how fast I'm driving.

2- On ramp shenanigans - I come up from behind on the on ramp, cut over 2 lanes when merging frees up and speed up. For some reason, these people always seem insulted that I pass them up. Then the try their best to scoot in front of me or cut me off.

But, for some reason; I feel like I get no respect.

I am not even gonna bother highlighting the rest.

You are a problem. You feel entitled to respect. Why ? Cause you got a Subaru ? 3 ballzzz in your pants ? You are one of the many. Not any more special. And you drive like the others. You say it yourself...you come from behind and cut in front of others moving across 2 lanes. You do what everyone else does. You drive like a So-Cal yet you consider yourself special.

You are NOT entitled to complain.

I even suggest that you revise your attitude. You don't just feel entitled to respect: you earn it. And by your own admission; you do not deserve it.

This thread should be closed.

I would consider it a general jerk thing.

Why not place some stickers in the rear window supporting some police activity. "I support the police shooting team" or something. And then wear some clothing that resembles a police clothing at a cursory glance.

You gotta live here bro. Such stickers do not mean anything. If anything just stronger association with being a jerk and likely would work against you.

I've had these experiences here on Long Island, but in my Porsche Boxster. I drive pretty normally and not like some of the jerks I see in these cars. Still, people want to race at stoplights, I routinely get cut off and tailgated, and receive the finger far too often. I've taken to driving my Legacy more often because Subarus, while well-respected and very popular around here, are largely invisible. After driving the Porsche and enduring the growing number of idiots on the road, I turn to the Legacy for some stress relief (not to mention that I can park it just about anywhere without worrying what's going to happen to it). Maybe a Porsche is your solution for SoCal. :)

I am not even gonna bother highlighting the rest.

You are a problem. You feel entitled to respect. Why ? Cause you got a Subaru ? 3 ballzzz in your pants ? You are one of the many. Not any more special. And you drive like the others. You say it yourself...you come from behind and cut in front of others moving across 2 lanes. You do what everyone else does. You drive like a So-Cal yet you consider yourself special.

You are NOT entitled to complain.

I even suggest that you revise your attitude. You don't just feel entitled to respect: you earn it. And by your own admission; you do not deserve it.

This thread should be closed.

:lol:

No, I'm not special at all. i guess i have to clairfy myself. it's I'm just ranting about nutty drivers here. i guess i have to clarify that I don't cut lanes like a ricer. I change lanes 1 at a time...yet I people here have seem more "offended" when others drive even a smidge faster than they do.

I'm not closing in on others from behind, i stay speed pretty much flow of traffic and i don't try to provoke other drivers here (road rage incidents get reported here every week on the news, so I'm typically afraid of them) I don't tail others...if someone cuts in front, i generally create space. i don't stoplight race. i don't freeway race.

As far as respect goes...you're right. It's earned. And i earn it every day by being courteous and professional wherever i go...be it to other cars or other forum members ;)

I've had these experiences here on Long Island, but in my Porsche Boxster. I drive pretty normally and not like some of the jerks I see in these cars. Still, people want to race at stoplights, I routinely get cut off and tailgated, and receive the finger far too often. I've taken to driving my Legacy more often because Subarus, while well-respected and very popular around here, are largely invisible. After driving the Porsche and enduring the growing number of idiots on the road, I turn to the Legacy for some stress relief (not to mention that I can park it just about anywhere without worrying what's going to happen to it). Maybe a Porsche is your solution for SoCal. :)

Funny, i don't think a porsche will be a deciding factor here. I only drive 20 miles a day roundtrip, for my commute on a non-commuter freeway (not busy during rush hour). I see maybe 100-200 cars during the whole commute and yet I see at least 2 road rage incidents a day.

So I think you've helped me deduct the issue. It is a socal driver thing. People here are raging all the time. Great.

It really boils down to this, almost anyone in the US can get a drivers license. I have had mine since I was 16, so think of the biggest idiot in high school, and put them in a car on the highway. Just having graduated from high school I know quite a bit of them. Not to say that it is all high school drivers, or that they are all bad drivers. But I am saying that every idiot you know drives, and has been doing it for a while (or not long enough...). Learn to deal with it. I have been driving for over 3 years now (I had my permit for about a year), and I have come to the conclusion that the world will never be free from bad drivers that piss you off, so do your part by driving carefully and being courteous to others.

Some drivers don't like to be behind something taller because it blocks their view down the road... it's annoying not being able to see ahead. So, in addition points others have pointed out, it could be an Outback/truck/van thing.

+1, i admit i tend to try and get around them, but most of the time end up in failure because they're soccer moms/have that jersey 'i'm not gonna let you pass' attitude.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

+1, i admit i tend to try and get around them, but most of the time end up in failure because they're soccer moms/have that jersey 'i'm not gonna let you pass' attitude.

it is a little known fact that the guy who invented f/i was motivated solely by the relentless lane despotism of nj soccer moms :).

^^FI is Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru.

I hate to break it to you, buddy, but it is not just Socal where people drive like this. I live in the Washington DC area and pretty much everybody drives like that over here and also all along the East Coast. Most people take driving way to personally and see it as a personal attack when someone else is going faster, trying to pass, merge, etc. Unfortunately, this is just human nature and unless we change our ideas about driving as a whole, these driving conditions will continue.

I just think its that all cars are getting more powerful. Now mommy in her Chrysler Pacifica is almost as fast as me. That and she has no idea what a LGT or OB is so she is going to try to get around you if she thinks she can. I would bet she wouldnt try the same move if it was against a porsche even if it was a really slow porsche.

Its just brand recognition, I bought my car and mod my car for myself and enthusiasts to enjoy, I would rather mommy in her pacifica just thinks I am a slow normal car.

^ n00bs below this line

Archived