LegacyGT.com

Will a Perrin CBE mate up with a stock DP?

SilverSeraphim

I downloaded the PDF directly from Perrin's website and it states:

"If OEM downpipe is being used, use OEM spring bolts and springs to secure to downpipe and (1) 3" gasket. If aftermaker downpipe is being used, install supplied bolts and (1) 3" flat gasket."

To me, that SOUNDS like it should work. But I can't imagine how a 2.5" donut gasket from the stock DP is going to line up and fit correctly with a 3" midpipe???

Has anyone done an aftermarket CBE with a stock DP? Thanks in advance for any info/input!!! :confused:

Yes, I had this set-up before I went stage II. The perrin flange and DP flange mate just fine. The Perrin CBEs have had a lot of fitment issues, several members (including myself) could not get the cans to sit even.

Check out this thread. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70818

The one they sent is a little better, but still dosen't fit right.

I would say check out the Greddy EVO II, same look but better fitment and a little cheaper.

Thanks LGT-NY. I already have the Perrin so I'll be keeping it. :p I got it used from a member for a good price, so even if it doesn't fit exactly perfect, I'll still be happy that I saved money.

Out of curiosity, what DP did you go with and how did it work out? Any issues or recommendations in that area?

What tuning system are you planning on using? AccessPORT, ECUtek, Enginuity, Opensource, etc? With the AP (which is what I have) it tells your ECU that the cat is in place and will not throw any CEL codes so it will pass inspection. I just went through inspection last week with no issues.

well, not dyno, but with FWD and RWD cars they put it on some sort of dyno-like machine with rollers that they "make the wheels go" and hook the sniffer up to the tailpipe...

if your car is staying registered in PA, then the inspection has to be in PA I believe.

Well the install was going smoothly at first. Stock exhaust off with not too much difficulty. But then I got to the spring bolts :spin: and seriously, HOW the F are you supposed to get those guys on!

First of all the shoulder of the bolt is so thick that it BARELY scrapes through the flange on the Perrin midpipe. The impossible part comes when I try to get the bolt FAR enough through to get the nut on. Unless the spring is compressed all most ALL the way, the bolt doesn't stick out the other side of the DP flange enough to get the nut on!

So first I tried manually compressing the spring to get the bolt to stick through........... and quickly discovered that without Herculean strength, it wasn't going to happen.

Next I tried compressing the spring with a locking wrench/pliers thing. No luck, it's too difficult to get a good grip with on the spring.

Then I tried tightening the nut on the bolt with the bolt ONLY through the midpipe flange in order to get the spring compressed. Then locking the pliars over the spring and bolt head and slowly putting the midpipe into place. This ALMOST worked. The nut was touching the end of the bolt, but before I could get it on it pliars sliped and the spring bolt (which I now believe to be a mechanical representation of the anti-christ) blasted off out into the driveway.

I'm at a loss. Do I cut the spring in half??? Do I buy new bolts that don't have shoulders??? I'm out of ideas. :confused:

F' the spring bolts. Just get regular bolts that fit. I have regular bolt and it works fine.

I have a Crucial DP and it mimics the stock pipe (it has a donut gasket on the end of it) and I have the Perrin mid y/pipe. I needed new bolts because the perrin bolts were too big for the Crucial DP. No springs, no problems.

And as for state inspection. My car is registered in PA...I have one cat in the Crucial DP...the back section of the DP and no one seems to care. I take it to the same place every year, and since the AP takes care of the CEL, no one is the wiser.

you can also just break the bolts off with a TQ wrench, and go to autozone and pick up a bolt/spring kit used for chrysler. same size, same length etc... just take your old bolt/spring with you and make sure sizing is similar. thats what i done. mccorry can verify this.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 3 weeks later...
Fitment? Mine fits fine with the stock downpipe. I used autozone spring bolts, maybe that was the difference. It took a little while to get them in there, but it worked. Just using regular bolts would be fine though I think.

Archived