LegacyGT.com

block upgrage vs new internals

McCarthy69

I have a 99 legacy 2.5 . I want to go turbo but i need to do some engine work first(my rings are shot). I found a few block upgrades that are a direct bolt in but are a lot of money. Heres the link: http://www.subarumotors.net/

I dont want to spend that much just to fix my engine. I can however Get forged pistons and new rings and a couple other new internals for the engine thats in my car now for alot less than what the block upgrades cost. Im doing the work myself so labor costs are not an issue. What do you guys think? Do you think the stock engine will handle a good amount of boost? I dont want to spend too much money but i dont want my engine to blow up either.

I was doing some resaerch and it seems like there is an awful lot of wiring invovled in mst of the swaps done. Is the wrx motor 2.5L? If it is will I be able to use the same wirinf harness and ecu I have now?

02-05 wrx...no, it's a 2.0L

06-07 wrx...yes, it's a 2.5L

Any engine other than the engine you have now, you will not be able to use the wiring harness and ECU from your stock NA engine. Especially when you're adding a turbo.

More then likely im just gonna rebuild my engine so i dont have to deal with changing the wiring. Electrical work is a pain i deal with it at work all the time. So do you know how much hp/boost i can run on my stock 2.5? and if i rebuild it with forged internals (prolly just pistons and rods idk if im replacing the crank yet) how much i would be able to run then?

i dont need to know about the wiring. I want to know if i put forged pistons and forged rods and a forged crankshaft in my motor now will it be good enough to run a turbo without worrying about blowing the motor up. Im running a piggeyback system with the turbo so wiring is out of the question right now. Anyways the shortblock im gonna get is i go that route is a direct swap to my engine( same liter , comp ratio , etc) so if its all the same i dont have to switch ecus.

• 1 month later...
I've been thinking about very similar questions. I just had my stock '97 ej25 seize in my '97 Legacy GT. I know it's in the block (piston, bearing(s), etc?) because I can't turn the crank with a wrench in either direction with the timing belt removed. I'm not sure what happened, but I guess I'll find out when parts start coming off. I just had the heads done last year, so I think they're still in good shape. So I just bought a new/used short block site-unseen for what I hope is a pretty good deal. If the cylinders appear to be in good shape, and it turns smoothly by hand, I may put it in as is. But I'm still thinking, regardless of what shape it appears to be in, of tearing it apart, really checking things out, and replacing whatever makes sense while I've got it out of the car. I'm thinking of putting in forged pistons because of the piston land issues I've heard about with the stock ones. I'm not planning any engine mods, I just want to give the best chances of making it last (within reason $$$) for many more years (it's in perfect condition except for the not running part). I've heard forged pistons don't make sense in a stocker. Any opinions? Are there any "low-cost" forged pistons out there that may not be great for a suped-up ride but nice for a stocker? I just don't want to do a bunch of work and have a piston fail down the road. Are there any other "mine-as-well replace those while you're in there" parts (bearings, etc) that I should be thinking about? Thanks for any input, except "I'd swap in a WRX." or "I'd swap in an H6." or "I'd buy an '09 STI.", because unfortunately that is way out of my scope right now.

without any plans for engine mods oem pistons should be fine. when your in there replace whatever had failed and caused it to seize and put in all new bearings and seals along with new piston rings. also if you have to tools to measure the cylinders for out of round and taper do that too or take the block to a machine shop and have them do it to make sure the block will be worth rebuilding. also i see alot of ppl replacing the oil pump when theyre doing a rebuild.

Archived