LegacyGT.com

DIY: DownPipe Install

Thanks for the write-up, nvery helpful.

I just got done putting in new spark plugs and the up pipe and I'm trying to put on a used Cobb downpipe.

I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem but the donut gasket from the mid-pipe to the catback is in two pieces. Half of it is seized on the OEM midpipe and half is seized on the CBE. Gonna have to figure out a way to get it out of the CBE so I can put the new one in.

Any suggestions? (This is at my home so I'm using ramps and I don't have a boatload of tools) Was thinking about using a dremel tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, a great write up. I just pulled my DP to get a O2 sensor bung welded in and to get it ceramic coated.

I had 4 bolts left holding the heatshield on and I got to all of them without having to pull the intercooler off.

I got 3 of the top turbo/DP bolts done from the top with a breaker bar, but the bottom ones wouldn't budge. The way I got it to work was put PB Blaster on them, let em soak, then I used a 14mm socket and flex joint attached to about a 2' long extension. Then put my breaker bar on the end of that. That loosened everything up pretty quick. I got everything off in about an hour, which I thought was pretty good for never doing it before.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Throwing on my Cobb this weekend, a few questions...

- Do you re-use all gaskets or ideally purchase both a) Turbo>DP & b) Donut Gasket?

- Any difference between grimspeed gaskets and OEM? Are there better gaskets?

- If new gaskets are bought does it matter if permatex copper is used or just added benefit?

I used a new OEM donut gasket and a grimmspeed turbo to dp gasket. New gaskets help save you some grief. Totally worth it. Didn't use any permatex copper with the gaskets. No leaks for a year so far.

• 6 months later...

Thanks to everyone for the info provided on this thread. I installed a downpipe on my 2008 today to finally go to stage II.

I used rhino ramps and managed the install without removing the TMIC. I sprayed everything with PB the night before and had no problems with anything except the hanger bolt which snapped and needed to be drilled out (should have given that some more PB). I also used a grimm speed 3" to 2.5 adapter for the stock catback so I could use a new doughnut gasket. It was a challenge to compress the springs enough to get the nuts threaded but there are no leaks so far. It sound completely stock at idle but you can hear the turbo whistle under throttle.

• 8 months later...
Used this guide to change my Downpipe yesterday. Thank you for the awesome write-up. I managed to do it without removing the IC. Even with 72k miles the bolts to the turbo came off after 30 minutes with PB blaster. The most annoying part was the bolts at the middle of the downpipe holding the heat shield - they were rusted out. Just spun it until it broke. Trimming the top heat shield to fit was a breeze. This is a surprisingly easy job to do on rhino ramps. Now she just sounds mean with the turbo-back.

Archived