LegacyGT.com

Super Swampers on my Roo

It's nothing out of the ordinary, i just want to get a set of 18's with a 285/45/18 all-terrain tire wrapped around. Im thinking the Super Swamper Trxus STS's will suit for lots of trips to the snow and still good street grip for my non-turbo AWD Roo. How about the Nitto Dune Grapplers?? What you guys think? will they fit at 285?:spin:http://www.intercotire.com/images/TRXUS%20AT%20large.jpg

http://eastcoasttires.com/store/pc/catalog/dune%20grappler(300).jpg

Forget about the Dune Grapplers for the snow, it's not designed at all for winter driving. The STS is used alot on street/show trucks not many use it offroad, you are really going to suffer in the handling dept. I don't know if they make the size you want a but look at the BFG All Terrain KO's, they handle well in all conditions and still have a nice looking tread pattern which seems to be what you are after. Toyo Open Country Muds are a very nice offroad tire as well with a great tread pattern and still handle reasonably well on road...at least on trucks.

Forget about the Dune Grapplers for the snow, it's not designed at all for winter driving. The STS is used alot on street/show trucks not many use it offroad, you are really going to suffer in the handling dept. I don't know if they make the size you want a but look at the BFG All Terrain KO's, they handle well in all conditions and still have a nice looking tread pattern which seems to be what you are after. Toyo Open Country Muds are a very nice offroad tire as well with a great tread pattern and still handle reasonably well on road...at least on trucks.

The dune grapplers (after a siping) would smash in the snow up here in tahoe. Im not crazy about the flames but they would be low profile enough you could hardly tell. My subaru isn't fast, nor does that matter to me, i get 30 mpg, so street handling serves little purpose to me, but any nobby tire that is siped handles twice as good than the same tire not siped. But your right about the size issues, i dont even think any brand makes their all terrain tires in a 265/50/18 or 285/ 45/18, anything in that range. If anyone finds some, let me know where you've seen them, i might just have to go with watever is actually available in an all terrain. Passenger car tires are never made with any type of all-terrain tred, which forces me to go truck tire, and the only low profile truck tires are yes, street/showcase type of tires, but if the're functional, that works. Thanks for your 2 cents

Be really careful about using a mud tire in snow. The most useless tires I've ever seen in the snow were big knobby things on a Jeep a year or two ago. The Jeep was right in front of me, sliding all over the place while traffic was just inching along. I was having no trouble whatsoever on RE-92s.

I think the key thing about snow tires is lots of siping, which neither of the tires above have. But I'm not 100% certain of that, so get a second opinion.

I will agree, wide ass tires are real tough to control in the winter.

Especially on the ice or slushy snow. I had some 32's on my old Jeep, and that thing would handle awesome in the mud and rough terrain, but when it came to anything icy or snowy, forget about it. It was like a 4 wheeled sled.

Like i said, i would certainly sipe whichever all terrain tire i get. That's the first thing on my list. but those two tires i pictured, especially the Nitto's, are hardly even mud tires! its a different story running 33'' Goodyear Wranglers MTR's than a 29'' sipped, low profile all-terrain tire at a 285. A larger width of the tire only adds more stability, control, and literally more tire on the road. How could that hurt traction? Makes no sense guys...Les Schwab can sipe any tire they dont need to come siped from the factory

For years, the conventional wisdom has been that wider tires 'float' more on snow (bad), and that narrower tires 'cut' through snow better (good).

And for years, I've wondered if there's really any truth to that. If there's a small amount of slush on the road, I can see how narrower would be better, because it's likely that you will push some out of the way to get a grip on the asphalt. Sort of like with water and hydroplaning. But as soon as there's enough snow that you can't see the road anymore, what's the point of narrower tires? I am unconvinced.

How would a narrower tire do any better in lots of snow? We are talking an inch or two difference, that's not changing much, especially in a negative way

You have to think of of the weight being applied across the surface of the tire. A narrower tire will have more weight per square inch of contact surface pushing the car down into the snow so the tires can dig down and bite into it. The sipes need this in order for them to work properly. A wider tire will spread the weight of the car out across the wider surface and cause the tire to have a tendency to float on the top of the snow. This means the sipes won't compress as much and won't be able to get as good traction. It's the same principal as snow shoes. Snow shoes spread your weight out more so you don't sink into the snow as you walk. Now that's good for walking because you don't have to lift your feet as high each step you take, but that's not good for driving because there's much less traction and stability since the snow between your tire and the road is more loosely packed. You should see the super skinny tires that rally racers switch to when they are doing rallying in the snow.

It wont rub...look at a Mustang or camaro running 305's without a problem there's nothing different

How much clearance do you have between the edge of the tire and the edge of your fender now? How about between the inside edge of the tire and the front strut's spring perch?

I'm admittedly not familiar with your model year, but 285 would be a real challenge for my '05. As in, no way. :)

yeah a 285 will more than likely rub the hell out of my fender, i agree. But i feel like my 2001 legacy is lifted to the hight of any outback ive ever seen and has more than enough space to fit larger than a damn 205/55/16. and i feel like 18's would be perfect, a large width tire will only help the handling, and 285 seems a bit excessive, thats y i asked u guys 4 ur opinions. But like the other guy mentioned, a 255/55/18 is probubly tthe right size 4 me. Thanks 4 all your 2 cents....i read on some other forum that the Nitto Terra Grapplers won best all-terrain P-rated tire by Consumer Reports. Over BFG rugged trail, Toyos OC, Bridge Duellers, all them...so thanks for mentioning that size, i think siped, theres not a more functional setup on a car out there. It's the perfect balance...Thanks guys

Are you planning on lifting the car? A 255/55/18 tire has a 4 inch bigger overall diameter than 205/55/16. That means 2 inches more tire sticking out on all sides. I really doubt you'll be able to fit that in your wheel well, especially with a 255 width. Like NSFW said you not only have to watch out for the tire rubbing on the fender, but you have to look at the inside between the tire and the spring perch on the strut. You can compare different tire sizes with this tool: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. According to that, you'd need a 255/35/18 to have an overall diameter that's the same as your 205/55/16.

255/50/18 would be ideal, but they don't make that size in any of the all terrain tires that ive looked at. when i get my wheels, a different offset will give me more clearence from the shocks/springs. I understand that it's gunna be a tight sqeeze. Id appreciate some solutions with something closer to my intentions, a wider, low profile, all terrain tire on 18's. If i wanted the same overall diameter as the tires/wheels under there right now, i wouldn't spend $1000+ for a new setup, i would keep what's under there right now......If i could find a 1/2-1" body lift for my subaru, i would do it

ALright....from the top of the middle of my tires now, theres about 6" to the top of the middle of the fender well. That number decreases until you reach the edge of the fender, where theres about 2" of clearence. The tires sit inside that edge though, so with the potholes here in california, the suspension always flexes the wheels inside the well. Now there is only about 1.5" of room between the tire and the spring in the rear, assuming that the front is equal, that's not much room. However, the spring looks pretty well tucked inside of the wheel well with 16's. With 18's, i dont see how any part of the tire or wheel will touch the spring unless im jumping it, and end up turning the wheel full to either side. But that's not gunna happen

Irishman, what exactly are you looking for from this set-up? If you are looking for winter performance, then you're barking up the wrong tree. I myself lived in Tahoe for two seasons. 04-05 and 05-06. These were two of the biggest snow years on record in that area, and to be honest, compared with the Washington Cascades, and the winter roads here in Michigan, the roads in Tahoe don't get that nasty. Usually just snowcovered, which is totally manageable. Its rare that it gets really Icy in Tahoe as the sun usually melts any potential ice off the road once the snow stops falling. If you want good winter performance, I suggest you look at something like this: Bridgestone Blizzaks 195/65R15 or Nokian Hakkapelitta's in that same size range. Hell if you really want to get crazy go with a higher sidewall and mount 'em on 14s so that your revs stay up so you can engine brake easier. If you want to maintain so dry weather performance look for the Blizz or the Nokian's in like a 205/60 R15, or 16. If you're looking for off-road performance look into the kinds of tires they run in rally races, I think you'll find the tread pattern very similar to the Nokian's. Additionall, the large 18in wheel size actually raises your center of gravity which will detract from your handling. Sure, it looks cool to have big wheels and small sidewalls, and I know in California image is everything, but why not get some functionality out of the great platform the Subaru offers you. But that's just like...my opinion, man. :)

Winter Michigan weather is rediculous. If i lived there, i would have kept my 1999 Grand Cherokee with leather heated seats, and the greatest 4-wheel drive system ever build in an suv, Quadra-Drive, and put some steelies on it with snow tires and a body lift, and use it as a winter vehicle and get a pontiac gto like everyone else out there for the open roads in the summer! (seriously, 1/5 cars are pontiacs in Michigan) But i live in Northern California and plan to drive to Tahoe 5-10 times a year to snowboard. My subaru is not turbocharged, so there is no need to street rig it out. Nor is there a need to snow rig it out. SO as a matter of fact, im going for complete functionality. A wider tire to grip the hell out of the dry or wet pavement that i drive on 95% of the time, with an all terrain tire that is siped to handle pavement like an 8/10. I plan to offset the bad handling by installing polyurethane bushings all around with new shocks. If i lived in tahoe, i would have 2 sets of wheels and tires, but i dont have the $ or need for that so if your not gunna help me find the perfect balance point, then dont waist your own time. Thanks

Irishman, I guess I missed the part about you not actually living in Tahoe. If you're only going up there 5-10 times a year you're right you don't need a snow set-up. In reality you should probably look at a really nice all season radial with a solid tread pattern for water and snow. Have it siped and you should be good to go. If you're putting bushings and shocks on it you shouldn't even need wider rubber. That thing should grip like fly-paper. If you wanted to go with wider rubber don't go super wide, you'll give up some fuel economy due to the extra rolling resistance of the wider tire, and since the legacy is a pretty light car you won't gain that much in the end that your shocks and bushings are already offering you. Again, just my .02.

Archived