LegacyGT.com

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking at some pics on the official Hyundai site at the Genesis and there's a shut of the underbody of the car and ... I don't see the typical y-pipe. Or maybe it's there and I'm not seeing it

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/Genesis/gallery/photodetails.aspx

Under the Details category.

I haven't read a lot of articles about this but is the V6 or V8 a longitudinal lay-out with true dual exhaust??

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/images/vehicle/Genesis/gallery/asset_upload_file484_19955.jpg

The exhaust pipes follow the chassis quite closely, it is hard to see, but there are dual exhaust pipes on that picture... and it is the sedan, not the coupe.

The coupe with turbo I4 will only have a single exhaust most of the way back, V6 coupe will probably be similar to V6 sedan, although the coupe and sedan are not the same underneath, only slightly similar.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/images/vehicle/Genesis/gallery/asset_upload_file484_19955.jpg

The exhaust pipes follow the chassis quite closely, it is hard to see, but there are dual exhaust pipes on that picture... and it is the sedan, not the coupe.

The coupe with turbo I4 will only have a single exhaust most of the way back, V6 coupe will probably be similar to V6 sedan, although the coupe and sedan are not the same underneath, only slightly similar.

Doesnt look like there much room for a bigger pipes than the ones they have. If you were to go true dual exhaust the left pipe would have to hang quite low

subscribe for being pretty cool. With the 2.0T it is basically a RWD lancer evolution esque coupe :).

How much does this thing weigh? I bet with a TBE and tune it would be a fun little car.

Ironic, considering that Eclipse is an odd front-driver. One would think the Mitsubishi would be the one to field a Coupe version of the Lancer Evo.

The autoblog threads have some weights being tossed around...

The R-spec tuner model is supposed to be the lightest, and 2.0T powered. The numbers I have seen tossed around are between 3300lbs on the light end, 3600lbs fully loaded. Plus, I think it might actually be a physically bigger car than pictures cast it to be. Probably closer to Mustang than Civic.

Yes. You are right, although transfer case isn't the most appropriate term... it is close. Transaxle is probably more apt.

But Eclipse has been out for a while, and it is kind of a lump, both aesthetically, and performance wise. Concept RA had the EVO turbo drivetrain, and looked like it might actually perform. Vaporware.

The Genesis is longitudinal, all the better for it, too. But it isn't going to be AWD, though, due to the layout. But the engine is closely related to the Evo, and turbocharging modifications and general engine component tuning from the Evo will probably make the short jump over to Genesis aftermarket, and get that 2.0T to really move. Something that Eclipse has forgone, despite being under the same brand-name as the Evo.

If Mitsu had just built the Eclipse as a GS-T with the Evo drivetrain, and some aero changes, Eclipse might not be so laughable, while Genesis Coupe is being eyed seriously by enthusiasts, who perhaps haven't even considered Hyundai before, not even Tiburon.

I wonder how long it will take, and what it will look like, the first tuner to put the Tau V8 under the Coupe's hood... and tune it up to about 400 horsepower.

Yes. You are right, although transfer case isn't the most appropriate term... it is close. Transaxle is probably more apt.

But Eclipse has been out for a while, and it is kind of a lump, both aesthetically, and performance wise. Concept RA had the EVO turbo drivetrain, and looked like it might actually perform. Vaporware.

The Genesis is longitudinal, all the better for it, too. But it isn't going to be AWD, though, due to the layout. But the engine is closely related to the Evo, and turbocharging modifications and general engine component tuning from the Evo will probably make the short jump over to Genesis aftermarket, and get that 2.0T to really move. Something that Eclipse has forgone, despite being under the same brand-name as the Evo.

If Mitsu had just built the Eclipse as a GS-T with the Evo drivetrain, and some aero changes, Eclipse might not be so laughable, while Genesis Coupe is being eyed seriously by enthusiasts, who perhaps haven't even considered Hyundai before, not even Tiburon.

I wonder how long it will take, and what it will look like, the first tuner to put the Tau V8 under the Coupe's hood... and tune it up to about 400 horsepower.

Transaxle case, transfer case. These terms are used in eachothers place by everyone even Mitsubishis manuals.

If the tau v8 is the v8 that comes in the sedan its gonna cost alot to do the swap, might aswell put a ls1 in it. HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, love you

Autocar, is reporting that Nissan confirmed that they axed the 240SX/Silvia replacement, they were working on.

I looks like Genesis Coupe will have no competitors in its price range. The interesting version, is the track package Genesis coupe.

Autocar, is reporting that Nissan confirmed that they axed the 240SX/Silvia replacement, they were working on.

I looks like Genesis Coupe will have no competitors in its price range. The interesting version, is the track package Genesis coupe.

What is its price range? And what do you consider to be the guidelines of competition for this car?

Also Nissan really sucks ass these days. The 370z is the only car i like of theres and would only buy one if VDC disabled doesnt void the warrenty. There econo cars are just that and nothing more, the skyline looks like crap imo, performs well but breaks and isnt covered(not to mention the lack of clutch pedal), and the 240sx is the only thing i was looking foward to by that company. I was really hoping the silvia would take nissan back to its roots, light weight, rwd, turbo/high reving engine and of course a clutch pedal lol. Damn

The Mustang GT is right up there for the track version both have 300hp(ish) both sub 30k both coupe both RWD....And then all the new American Muscle cars that have just been introduced. Then you have the Subaru/Toyota coupe that is on its way, even if it is still a few years away...there's plenty this car has to deal with...

The Mustang GT is right up there for the track version both have 300hp(ish) both sub 30k both coupe both RWD....And then all the new American Muscle cars that have just been introduced. Then you have the Subaru/Toyota coupe that is on its way, even if it is still a few years away...there's plenty this car has to deal with...

Exactly what i was thinking, the challenger r/ts can be had for 30 right now, with 350hp, the new camaro is comign in at just over 30k with 422hp. I would think that anything close to its price range, thats a coupe, with a back seat, RWD, would be in its class. Solstice gxp

What is its price range? And what do you consider to be the guidelines of competition for this car?

Cheap($20k ish), RWD, manual, two door, decent power and easy to modify

Also Nissan really sucks ass these days. The 370z is the only car i like of theres and would only buy one if VDC disabled doesnt void the warrenty. There econo cars are just that and nothing more, the skyline looks like crap imo, performs well but breaks and isnt covered(not to mention the lack of clutch pedal), and the 240sx is the only thing i was looking foward to by that company. I was really hoping the silvia would take nissan back to its roots, light weight, rwd, turbo/high reving engine and of course a clutch pedal lol. Damn

You know Nissan has altered LC on the GTR to work with VDC on(therefore, you stay within the wording of your contract) and people have been reporting that the GT-R the straight line performance difference is neglible between VDC off and on now.

The Genesis and Mustang are pretty much the competitors here. Camaro and Challenger base models come into it, but their higher end models will probably break north of 30K, higher than fully loaded Genesis coupes, or regular Mustang GTs. 370Z starts in the 30K range, and goes up from there, G37 starts higher yet.

Some may be cross shopped, but Genesis I4 and Mustang V6 start lower in the 20k range than most of the others.

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan don't have anything under 30k that is RWD and performance oriented, and Subaru doesn't have anything with two doors, period.

BMW 1-series starts in the 30s, and an appropriately equipped 135i will probably be a lot more expensive than Genesis. VW has nothing RWD, either, and Audis are more expensive, especially getting into A5 Quattro or TT.

Where there used to be a lot of main-line affordable sporty coupes, there seems to be fewer now, although coming back a bit, with the waning of the SUV era.

I really hope Subaru and Toyota are working on something very good, based on the Impreza's floorplan, with some actually good styling. If they stick to the Impreza's chassis, they will have the bones to bolt on some good hardware, and have the car as RWD OR AWD... Brembos, Bilsteins, Turbos, all available from the parts bin for that sort of a car.

Theoretically even H6 power, if they wanted to go for a bit more upscale mainstream non-tuner trim, and compete and beat the likes of Altima and Accord V6 coupes.

(if 3.0R will fit in a BL Legacy, it will fit in the Impreza with the same front chassis dimensions, and an Impreza based coupe, if it sticks to those dimensions. The 3.6 with the same overall long-block size should also fit.)

So ~3300 is about the weight that is being tossed around? I was hoping for 3000-3100.

Anyways do we know how closely related it is to the Evo X motor? Turbo different? How much boost if the 2.0T running?

Just curious because the genesis is rated at what ~230 and the Evo is ~300/300

Don't know the size of the turbo but peak boost is 20 psi.

The R-spec weighs in at 3300 lbs, the other models are around 3400 lbs and a fully loaded 3.8L V6, AT model weighs just under 3500 lbs.

It's not a light car but does seem to have good price point for its specs.

The Hyundai materials say "low pressure turbo"

210hp on unleaded, 220-230 on high octane.

I would imagine that the turbo is different. It will be interesting to read about in the aftermarket areas, what will be done with the 2.0T.

I am pretty sure Hyundai wants to move some 3.8 V6 models, so putting the turbo 4 at the same power level puts them too close together.

Archived