LegacyGT.com

added maintenance - service intervals?

got the coupon booklet. i noticed its every 7.5k miles. is that what everyon is doing? oil change every 7.k miles???

also, has anyone replaced your brake pads yet or wipers? if so, did the service center replaced them for free? (its supposed to be covered under warranty)

I have the free service but still do my oil change every 3k miles (I pay for the ones not covered).

Warranty covers the car bumper-to-bumper for 3yrs/36,000 miles, this includes wipers, bulbs, everything. Brake pads must be worn down to below 1mm of pad material before they will be changed under the warranty.

Opie

Subaru Service Advisor

Personally, Im only doing the Oil change when its due for service and getting everything else done at the same time.

100K now on the clock or roughly 63K Miles and running the same pads and wipers.

Dont use the wipers much as using RainX which has run great in the past few days here.

King of the late brakers and still on the originals but may be due next service in a few weeks.

Adam.

the 3k oil change is too quick for modern cars .. you are okay to wait...

Actually Subaru recommends a 3,750 routine service interval for severe duty vehicles, and about 99% of cars fall into the severe duty guidelines. It's in the owners manual.

Where do you see every 3,750? I am pretty sure the book shows 3,750 for the first oil change then every 7,500K. I will look again. I use synthetic oil anyways, since the oil is going to be in there for 7,500k miles.

From Page 43 of the Warranty and Maintenance Manual for the 2005 Legacy:

SCHEDULE OF INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES (CONT.)

NOTES:

1. When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions,** the engine oil and filter should be changed every 3,750

miles (6,000 km) or 33/4 months.

2. When the vehicle is used in extremely cold or hot weather areas, contamination of the filter may occur and filter

replacement should be performed more often.

3. When the vehicle is frequently operated under severe driving conditions, replacement should be performed every

15,000 miles (24,000 km).

4. When the vehicle is frequently operated under severe driving conditions, replacement should be performed every

15,000 miles (24,000 km).

5. When the vehicle is used in high humidity areas or in mountainous areas, change the brake fluid every 15,000 miles

(24,000 km) or 15 months, whichever occurs first.

6. When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions,** inspection should be performed every 7,500 miles

(12,000 km) or 71/2 months, whichever occurs first.

7. This inspection is not required to maintain emission warranty eligibility and it does not affect the manufacturer’s

obligations under EPA’s in-use compliance program.

8. When the vehicle is used in extremely dusty conditions, the air cleaner element should be replaced more often.

9. The ATF filter is a maintenance free part. The ATF filter needs replacement only when it has physical damage or if

the ATF has leaked.

10. A tire should be replaced when the tread wear indicator appears as a solid band across the tread; this occurs when

the remaining tread has worn to 0.063 inches (1.6mm) or less.

11. Periodic inspection and replacement of the camshaft drive chains on the 3.0 Liter models are not required.

12. To prevent cooling system leaks, always add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner whenever the coolant is

replaced.

**Examples of severe driving conditions:

a. Repeated short distance driving. (Items 3, 13 and 14 only)

b. Driving on rough and/or muddy roads. (Items 13, 14 and 17 only)

c. Driving in dusty conditions.

d. Driving in extremely cold weather. (Items 3 and 17 only)

e. Driving in areas where road salts or other corrosive materials are used. (Items 6, 13, 14, 15 and 17 only)

f. Living in coastal areas. (Items 6, 13, 14, 15 and 17 only)

g. Towing a trailer. (Items 3, 4, 10, 11, 13 and 14 only)

Actually Subaru recommends a 3,750 routine service interval for severe duty vehicles, and about 99% of cars fall into the severe duty guidelines. It's in the owners manual.

I'm not so sure about this one. What about those of us that live in moderate climates and commute a long ways each day. Maybe 99% of Subaru drivers are on the "severe plan", but what about the millions of cars that commute long distances each day with above freezing temps?

As an aside, I did my first oil change at 8000 miles, and the oil looked barely used. They aren't making cars like they used to, and that's a good thing.

Opie shoots straight (shout out and mad props to the Florida guy) it's right there in the manual.

I want my car running strong throughout its remaining 62 payments and I hit just enough stop and go snarls on the highway to justify the extra service intervals.

(still debating whether to switch to synth at 7k... Dino for now for a good seating in)

Archived