LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0?

smokin.legacy

inline 6?? I think not

It's got a boxer 6 in it. It's a very smooth engine and made for little more upscale ride rather than the boy racer crowd. I love my H6 powered Leggy. Great torque curve and not too rowdy for my daily commute.

A very generalized statement:

3.0 - Great engine off the shelf, better torque curve = smoother ride

2.5GT - Enormous mod potential, pure power (especially once modified)

sorry, no turbo for the 3.0

like 75 (more or less).

Krzys

He was saying the 3.0 had a bit more HP than the 2.5GT. :lol: Which is true, I went to the SUBARU.COM site and it told me so. :eek:;)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

2.5i - 170hp/170tq

2.5gt - 243hp/241tq

3.0 - 245hp/215tq

It's really odd that they have similar horsepower but the 2.5GT with the smaller displacement has more torque.

Anyone know how moddable the 3.0 is? My 2.5GT is fun but I -really- miss having torque in the lower RPM range.

The BMW 335 has a nice 3.0 twin turbo setup... how hard would that be to match? :)

2.5i - 170hp/170tq

2.5gt - 243hp/241tq

3.0 - 245hp/215tq

It's really odd that they have similar horsepower but the 2.5GT with the smaller displacement has more torque.

Anyone know how moddable the 3.0 is? My 2.5GT is fun but I -really- miss having torque in the lower RPM range.

The BMW 335 has a nice 3.0 twin turbo setup... how hard would that be to match? :)

It would be about as hard as adding two turbos!

There are entire sections of this forum devoted to this model.

I mean this is beyond the search button.... just open up the forum page and read! :p

All jokes aside, there is someone taking on a project where they are attempting to make the 3.0 NA into a 3.0 FI engine. He's not from the US, but if he comes up with something, I'm pretty sure the applications would be usable across all of the models.

Well... let's see here...

stronger, lower compression pistons.

More robust piston rings

Possibly re-ground cams.

fuel injector and fuel system upgrades

possible re-program of the AVCS, TGV, and definitely fuel map.

possible changes to the intake system, or vacuum distribution.

Probably different spark plugs. Possibly different exhaust valves for heat resistance.

Custom exhaust system, and route planning.

complete integration of wastegate and BOV systems.

Proper turbo selection, and consideration for asymmetrical turbo inlet and outlet geometry.

Intercooler configuration, and likely modification for a front mounted unit, rather than top-mounted. Connecting that front mount to the factory, or custom intake manifolds.

Two intake tract runs into the turbos, with flow sensors for the computer.

Increased cooling capacity, fans, thicker radiator, etc...

Increased oil cooling capacity for the engine, and possibly differentials, and trans if it is automatic.

A robust clutch, and making sure the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes are up to the task of handling a 3500lb, 400+ horsepower AWD monster.

Perrin, and others have swapped a single-turbo, built 3.0 block H6 into previous-gen STIs... and they are monsters, and I believe were water injected, as well, to keep temperatures in check.

Very interesting stuff, but not for the light of wallet, or faint of heart.

Perrin, and others have swapped a single-turbo, built 3.0 block H6 into previous-gen STIs... and they are monsters, and I believe were water injected, as well, to keep temperatures in check.

I think all in all it was not a very smart financial decision. For the money, you could get a better car with more reliable performance and no headaches!

Well, Perrin was breaking new ground, so he and Sponaugle did a lot of experimentation with different pistons, rods, valve springs, etc. They had a lot of different parts made before they settled on their final configuration. The results were quite pleasing - 600 hp, and they'll do it for you too, for only about $15K.

15k is not that bad. If you have the money. 600hp out of well less than 4 liters, in a boxer. I doubt you could modify a Porsche turbo motor for anywhere NEAR that price for that much horsepower.

Custom engine work often heads well north of that price. The Hartley H1 V8 is at least $30k.

Well... let's see here...

stronger, lower compression pistons.

More robust piston rings

Possibly re-ground cams.

fuel injector and fuel system upgrades

possible re-program of the AVCS, TGV, and definitely fuel map.

possible changes to the intake system, or vacuum distribution.

Probably different spark plugs. Possibly different exhaust valves for heat resistance.

Custom exhaust system, and route planning.

complete integration of wastegate and BOV systems.

Proper turbo selection, and consideration for asymmetrical turbo inlet and outlet geometry.

Intercooler configuration, and likely modification for a front mounted unit, rather than top-mounted. Connecting that front mount to the factory, or custom intake manifolds.

Two intake tract runs into the turbos, with flow sensors for the computer.

Increased cooling capacity, fans, thicker radiator, etc...

Increased oil cooling capacity for the engine, and possibly differentials, and trans if it is automatic.

A robust clutch, and making sure the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes are up to the task of handling a 3500lb, 400+ horsepower AWD monster.

dude you make me laugh

Archived