LegacyGT.com

Catless vs HF cat

DarkLegacy

DARK, i've been checking around about the same stuff and it looks like the hi-flow-cat is the better but expensive route.. passing emissions is a big deciding factor for me at least. let me know what you decide on and where you have it installed. i need a good install shop, my regular mechanic/ body shop isn't big on doing performance mods and stuff like that.

The cheapest way is to gut the stocker, the route I went. If you have emissions, obviously don't go catless, but if it's just a visual inspection I'd say f**k it n gut the stock one. You can't really smell it inside the cabin, it's the people drivin behind you lol

the best part about ct is our emissions only checks for engine codes. if you have no codes you pass. they dont have awd dynos to do the sniffer test. also you do smell it inside the cabin only if you have your front windows open. it acts like a vacuum. i usually put on my ac with recirc or open the back windows.

All great advice. I think I may may w/cat mainly for the emissions.

Hey Gulla - I know a great shop near Glen Cove. I do most of my mods buy for the electronic stuff and some of the more complex mods I use North Coast Rally Subaru. Speak with Bill. He is a really nice guy that knows his stuff. Another shop that is a little more east is Metric Subaru.

Thanks for the help guys

If you have the money go with a NEW highflow catted DP.

1. It will pass emissions (for a while)

2. You won't get sick from the raw fuel all the time your windows are down

3. It will be quieter and you'll get less shit from authorities

Buying catted used can sometimes be iffy as I found out. When I had my WRX I bought a used Invidia catted DP which supposedly had 15K miles on it. The highflow cat was already going bad, so I could still smell a little bit of raw fuel, it was louder than it should have been and I failed emissions by a hair, as opposed to passing by a mile.

-Sergei

I went with catted because frankly, uncatted on cars like the legacy (with its low key classy styling) is just too damn embarassing with the noise, smell and eventual exhaust stain on the bumper. Plus i park my car in an enclosed underground garage, not in the mood to poison the air with my constant startups.

Why not just get a shorty and keep your mid catt. I have a shorty DP and a Hi flow cat and I don't notice a lose in power.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

So you have a shorty catless and a high flow catted mid?

That's what I did. I ran 3" pipe and hi -flow catt after the shorty.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/180334.jpg

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

That's what I did. I ran 3" pipe and hi -flow catt after the shorty.

That's an excllent choice for a setup, however your advice to the OP is a little misleading though. You suggested for him to ditch the post turbo catted pipe for a catless shorty and keep the OEM catted mid, comparing this to your setup. Of course you would not really be restricted, but an OEM cat converter would be.

I had a similar setup on the WRX where I had a catted Perrin front pipe and catless mid. I though it would make it easier to pass emissions because I could just replace the catless mid with the OEM piece and have a 2 cat system that would be guaranteed to pass emissions. Unfortunately this setup was very expensive and a pain in the ass to make work from the start, and then it wasn't that much easier to replace just the mid piece as opposed to the entire DP.

-Sergei

That's an excllent choice for a setup, however your advice to the OP is a little misleading though. You suggested for him to ditch the post turbo catted pipe for a catless shorty and keep the OEM catted mid, comparing this to your setup. Of course you would not really be restricted, but an OEM cat converter would be.

I had a similar setup on the WRX where I had a catted Perrin front pipe and catless mid. I though it would make it easier to pass emissions because I could just replace the catless mid with the OEM piece and have a 2 cat system that would be guaranteed to pass emissions. Unfortunately this setup was very expensive and a pain in the ass to make work from the start, and then it wasn't that much easier to replace just the mid piece as opposed to the entire DP.

-Sergei

You are right. It was late and I sleepy.:rolleyes: I wanted to say " You can just get a shorty and keep you can keep your mid catt." I had a the shorty connected to the stock setup for a while. I notice a improvement after I added the hi flow catt. From datalogs I haven't seen much difference between my catted setup and non-catted setups. I hope that is more clear.

You are right. It was late and I sleepy.:rolleyes: I wanted to say " You can just get a shorty and keep you can keep your mid catt." I had a the shorty connected to the stock setup for a while. I notice a improvement after I added the hi flow catt. From datalogs I haven't seen much difference between my catted setup and non-catted setups. I hope that is more clear.

No problem dude, sweet license palte and a good looking wagon there! What catback is that?

-Sergei

It's custom made. It's a 3" hi-flow catt to a Borla XR-1 muffler as a res., then y to 2.25" pipe and 2.25" Magnaflow mufflers with magnaflow tips.

It's custom made. It's a 3" hi-flow catt to a Borla XR-1 muffler as a res., then y to 2.25" pipe and 2.25" Magnaflow mufflers with magnaflow tips.

How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking, and which shorty DP did you go with?

Thanks!

-Sergei

How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking, and which shorty DP did you go with?

Thanks!

-Sergei

Well I got the parts for $300 and the labor was about $200.

Archived