LegacyGT.com

Should I worry about this? (Wheel damage?)

S4

A little over a week ago I was messing around in a snow-filled parking lot and found the one hard object in it. Now, I don't know if it was a pile of ice, or a curb or what, but I know that my wheel didn't like it.

(Before you go flaming me about messing around in a parking lot I wasn't familiar with, I wasn't the first person to go out there so it seemed safe. I'm not blaming anyone but myself though.)

So, I hit this object sideways and it scraped about 4" on the inside edge of the rim. The thing is, there is absolutely no pressure loss in the tire, no change in alignment (that I can notice), and no wobble at all. BUT, I now have some tire noise I didn't have before. Would the tire be damaged then? I checked visually and can't see anything. Maybe it's all in my head. I have to take my car in tomorrow to get my stereo fixed, so I'm thinking I should have them take a look at it. What are the chances that they void my warranty, and of what parts? I'm not looking to get a free tire or wheel out of them, I was planning on replacing both anyways, but would at least like to keep the stock wheels for winter beaters.

That's probably a good idea. I've just been putting it off because I have had absolutely no time to go to a place during their business hours. So, would a small static imbalance create the sound (knowing that sound = vibration) that can just sound like tire noise? I suppose scuffing off one part of the tire would do exactly that...

I hit a curb as well coming out of my appartment complex, hit some ice or really packed snow and the car just slid a little to far sideways and I got about a 10" long curb rash on my rear passenger wheel. I looked it over, the wheel looks fine minus the scrapes, doesn't look out of alignment, not air loss and drives fine. I am just going to leave it alone, going to be putting on summer wheels/tires in a few months anyways, then next year some snow tires on my stock rims and throwing the re-92 pieces of junk away.

Well, I'm going to go this afternoon and get them balanced, I needed to rotate them now anyways. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

I'm planning on getting new wheels and tires come spring anyways, but the more life I can get out of these, the better. A small investment now could possibly keep me from ruining a perfectly "usable" tire. ;)

Okay, $25 later and I have balanced and rotated wheels. They said the tires looked perfect, and the rim wasn't bent. I guess I was just being paranoid. I still hear the road-noise, but maybe I just didn't notice the small amount when I first got the car after my last car, and now when I was looking for something to be wrong I noticed it.

Anyways, nothings wrong with it, just me. :)

+1

They don't respond well to sideloads. You probably dinged them up a bit, thus the noise. Cheap to replace now.....could cause issues down the road if you don't.

Okay. I'll look for the part number tonight. Anyone have a ballpark figure of what they run?

Well, I found out how to check the bearings now. Who has a dial gauge I can borrow? ;)

INSPECTION:

1) Moving the front tire up and down by hand,

check there is no backlash in bearing, and check

the wheel rotates smoothly.

2) Inspect the lean of axis direction using a dial

gauge. Replace the bearing if the load range exceeds

the limitation.

• 1 month later...
!S4 Any update on this? What is the wheel bearing? I have a funny sound in the suspension and im cant find it. It’s almost like a clicking sound. I can’t pinpoint what it is. Sometimes I get it when im tuning other times over small bumps.

Archived