LegacyGT.com

Legacy VS SRT 4

So a few minutes ago coming home from work im in the left lane at a stoplight and theres a two lane road which is completely empy coming up. So im at a complete stop and as the light turns green a SRT4 comes buy at about 10mph or so and the people look at me, and take off from a roll. Im at a stand still and go after them and quckly gain a few lengths on them. Im ahead so I figure thats enough cuz theres a lot of cops on this road usualy and my turn home is coming up. So I stop and slow it down, and they pass and continue to speed by. I dunno if they would have caught up to me, I dont think so. I dunno if its a win or loss or if it doesnt really count towards anything, but I was very impressed the way I blew by them even though I was at a stop and at that point we were both pushing it. I would have liked to go again when we got to a better part of the road but he had turned also.

BTW- I have a 5EAT, stock as far as performance except catback, and perrin intake

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I traded my SRT in for my LGT and I have been dying to get next to one since then. All I know is that it would be a damn close race and I'm not sure who would win. From a stand still the SRT doesn't stand a chance.

When I had my SRT I raced a few WRXs and the outcome was always the same (Stock vs Stock). The Rex would pull 2-3 cars off the launch and then by 70ish I would start to pull and put buses on the Rex. The difference between the rex and the Leggy is that the Leggy does not fall on its face like the rex, it keeps pulling much like the SRT. So with a deadly lauch and some pull on the mid and top as well I don't see the SRT having much of a chance (this is a guess).

From a roll however is where I am curious to see the outcome. It will be very close but I have confidence in the Leggy. Stock vs Stock the SRT may eventually pull but I'm not sure.

Some ideas from an ex SRT owner. And all the stereo types about the SRT being a POS and just made to go fast in a straight line.........

Completely TRUE!!!! I'm glad I switched teams!!!

Mic :lol:

My friend was or still is looking for a new car and he was looking at the Neon ( :lol:SRT-4 :lol: ) and I was making fun of him Instantly. I told him to just get a WRX because it's so much better and close in price. His last car was a 02 or 03 Firebird he totaled fishtailing and then the tires cought and sent him into a curb. Now he drives his dads Magnum, and I feel bad for it, especialy when he tried to hang with me on a twisty road.

My friend was or still is looking for a new car and he was looking at the Neon ( :lol:SRT-4 :lol: ) and I was making fun of him Instantly. I told him to just get a WRX because it's so much better and close in price. His last car was a 02 or 03 Firebird he totaled fishtailing and then the tires cought and sent him into a curb. Now he drives his dads Magnum, and I feel bad for it, especialy when he tried to hang with me on a twisty road.

Yes....but can you put a surf board, amp, and drum set in your GT? The magnum can.... :D

Sorry, just saw the commercial

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Heh nice to see there are so many other SRT HATERS so many other kids drive them around my town and in the local schools by me. I have always hated these cars even the frist one I saw. As my dad said they are a poor mans race car, since they have a fruit roll up interior and all hehe. Theres one by me with SPRAY PAINTED RIMS!, completely streight pipes, nothing no muffelers even! it sounds like a Tractor with a BOV and a turbo. Dont get me wrong I am 17 I like the sound of a turbo and a BOV but not this one. Ill try to take a pic of it one day he puts it in our local towns little car show.

-NS

Hey N,

how do you like your Perrin intake? I presume you mean the ram air intake, right? I get mine installed this Friday. there's been a lot of nay-sayers about how noisey it is. of course, i do expect it to provide a more "aggressive" sound, just don't want it to be too rediculously loud.

what's your take on it?

Hey N,

how do you like your Perrin intake? I presume you mean the ram air intake, right? I get mine installed this Friday. there's been a lot of nay-sayers about how noisey it is. of course, i do expect it to provide a more "aggressive" sound, just don't want it to be too rediculously loud.

what's your take on it?

Most intakes are rediculously loud. Kinda something you expect, but we all have our own taste for what is "too" loud.

hey Boxer, I'd like your opinion on a closely related note.

there are posts (even by Trey Cobb) that talk about the Perrin ram intake (and I presume any aftermarket intake) not being compatible with the AP programming. they say it can cause the car to run too lean.

i realize that with the ram intake the car can suck in more air volume with less effort, but isn't the ECU brain supposed to monitor the air mass sensor and intake sensor after the TMIC in order to adjust the fuel flow to keep the AFRs within the prescribed limits?

is the problem that the ram air intake can overwhelm the stock fuel pump/injectors and cannot delivery enough fuel to balance the air volume? that's just my guesswork. i don't want to introduce the ram intake if it's going to risk burning up my engine.

by the way, i will be installing a set of (cheap ass) AutoMeter gauges with boost, EGT and oil pressure. i can monitor the EGT for extreme temp swings but really dont ever want to have that happen in the first place.

setting aside the question about noise, do you think the ram air intake is a bad move?

hey Boxer, I'd like your opinion on a closely related note.

there are posts (even by Trey Cobb) that talk about the Perrin ram intake (and I presume any aftermarket intake) not being compatible with the AP programming. they say it can cause the car to run too lean.

i realize that with the ram intake the car can suck in more air volume with less effort, but isn't the ECU brain supposed to monitor the air mass sensor and intake sensor after the TMIC in order to adjust the fuel flow to keep the AFRs within the prescribed limits?

is the problem that the ram air intake can overwhelm the stock fuel pump/injectors and cannot delivery enough fuel to balance the air volume? that's just my guesswork. i don't want to introduce the ram intake if it's going to risk burning up my engine.

by the way, i will be installing a set of (cheap ass) AutoMeter gauges with boost, EGT and oil pressure. i can monitor the EGT for extreme temp swings but really dont ever want to have that happen in the first place.

setting aside the question about noise, do you think the ram air intake is a bad move?

My opinion on Intakes may be a little biased, unless you have to, as in the case of FMIC's. Aftermarket intakes can make you run lean or rich depending upon the design. If the diameter piping is much larger than stock it will cause you to run lean. Inversely, if the diameter piping is too small it can cause you to run rich. Outside of that there are turbulence issues with aftermarket intakes that can make the MAF sensor suddenly see more or less air then it had previously. This will cause the ECU to respond by making the engine run leaner or richer for as long as the problem with turbulence occurs.

fair enough. without the benefit of calipers and a detailed study of the stock vs. ram intake, a visual exam of the Perrin ram intake seems like it should not depart too radically from the stock setup. sure, it will breath easier (and louder) but the silicone tubing does not appear to be grossly larger. part of the appeal is the slightly larger (and supposedly smoother) 90-degree bend that the air intake makes going into the turbo. I realize that I'm talking about the turbo inlet hose but I got that Perrin part to go with the intake. it's not really so much larger, its more that it lessens the restriction or diameter "pinch" that the stock air intake has at that turn. i know that what i'm saying is 99% Perrin promo talk but it does appear to be physically true.

i guess the proof will be in the pudding. when I do my dyno runs after putting the mods on I will try and get the guys at Harman Motive to monitor the AFRs during the run. that should tell the story.

Yes....but can you put a surf board, amp, and drum set in your GT? The magnum can.... :D

Sorry, just saw the commercial

Yeah but he was leading the way doing 70 in a 25 being hard on the brakes, while I am just relaxing keeping up with him with no problems. Then he told me to pass him because he likes to do burnouts in the semi gravel driveway and didn't want to hit my car so I take the lead.

So we stop at a stop sign and I floor it making a left and I see him start to go sideways in my rear view. I felt bad so I lagged for a bit and let him get close then he just started getting smaller and smaller in my rear view.

Got to love that raw American power :lol:

Yeah but he was leading the way doing 70 in a 25 being hard on the brakes, while I am just relaxing keeping up with him with no problems. Then he told me to pass him because he likes to do burnouts in the semi gravel driveway and didn't want to hit my car so I take the lead.

So we stop at a stop sign and I floor it making a left and I see him start to go sideways in my rear view. I felt bad so I lagged for a bit and let him get close then he just started getting smaller and smaller in my rear view.

Got to love that raw American power :lol:

But Dude! Did that thing have a HEMI? :confused:

But Dude! Did that thing have a HEMI? :confused:

Of corse it had a Hemi, these people are all about power. TThe kid in the Magnum had a Firebird up until last year and his older brother has an 02 Corvette. The Magnum took me on a straight run from a roll at 45, but it didn't start walking away from me until after 110mph and we called it quits at 130mph he only had a 1-1.5 car length leadon me. BTW my LGT is a 5EAT.

Land shark, as for the sound of the intake, do expect it to be a bit surprising at first. Its a lot louder than how it is with just the silencer removed. However after bout a week of driving with it I adjusted to it and now its perfect, the turbo and BOV is a little louder than my cat back(Borla), and is loud enough to be noticed from outside. If you want to hear the turbo and stock BOV than its perfect, my car was prolly a little bit less loud than the SRT4 maybe. Its hard to say, just dont dismis it right away I was surprised how loud it was to but now its perfect.

-NS

Land shark, as for the sound of the intake, do expect it to be a bit surprising at first. Its a lot louder than how it is with just the silencer removed. However after bout a week of driving with it I adjusted to it and now its perfect, the turbo and BOV is a little louder than my cat back(Borla), and is loud enough to be noticed from outside. If you want to hear the turbo and stock BOV than its perfect, my car was prolly a little bit less loud than the SRT4 maybe. Its hard to say, just dont dismis it right away I was surprised how loud it was to but now its perfect.

-NS

Glad for the positive report, N. Seems like you and I will have very common setups. On Friday, I'm getting all my Perrin parts put on (incl the bigger TMIC), the AVO BOV (set at 50% recirc), a catless UP, Perrin catless DP and Borla catback exhaust. Sound wise, we should be twins!

I will be patient adjusting to all the new interactive sounds. Clearly, I bought these parts knowing that the LGT would sound much more aggressive. I don't expect it to retain 100% of the family car insulated (Lexus-like) qualities. I want to enjoy the driver interplay between the newfound power. I'm alone in my LGT about 95% of the time anyway.

Can I ask (maybe u already mentioned it elsewhere), are u running a Cobb AP or other Stage 2 tune? I've got the AP and will be flashing to Stage 2. CANT WAIT!

I was wondering about the "warnings" of bad influences of the ram air intake and running lean with the AP tune. I'm puttin some gauges in to watch boost, EGT and oil pressure. But I don't want to constantly be worried about running hot. Have you experienced anything out of the ordinary?

Archived