LegacyGT.com

Clutch adjustment (please) or replacement?

Lyn

I am having a few problems with my clutch. On the minor side of things, the stick shift moves around freely even when the car is in gear. I can live with that but figured that I would see how much is involved to fix it. On the (potentially?) major side, the clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is almost all of the way out and it makes a bit of a squeaking noise when I press or release the pedal or when I am driving at low RPMs (say, in a parking lot). The clutch doesn't seem to slip at all so I am not sure if I can aim for an adjustment or if the clutch needs to be replaced. I am out of town with the car (2000 miles from home) and won't be able to take it to my regular mechanic until I get home. Is this something that I can ignore until I get home or am I going to end up on the side of the highway?

• 2 months later...

OMG I am having the same problem. Please someone respond. When I step down on the clutch there is a squealing metallic sound that comes from the clutch. the pedal clatters like when you break at high speed for a long time. Sometimes it will stall if the rpms are too low. absolutely no slippage at all.

Also, sometimes it won't go in gear like the clutch is halfway depressed.

Could this be the result of:

1. Worn throw out bearings.

2. Leaky master cylinder.

3. The clutch needs to be bled?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scooby160

www.subarushirt.com

Hydraulic clutch = no real adjustment (you can change the length of the rod that engages the clutch master cylinder but that won't get you mutch.

The shifter movement is l ikely worn shifter bushings which are pretty easy to replace - just get some stock replacements. The noisse is likely the throwout bearing, which is not expensive but replacing it is the same as doing a clutch job, which will certqainly fix your problems if you want to spend the money.

for the guy with the 06 Legacy your shifter bushings are probably not worn, but it sounds like your throwout bearing is going bad as well - get it into the dealer while you still have a warranty.

I would guess worn out clutch if there a metallic noise.

For the long way from home. Man that's a tuff one, the clutch doesn't slip. Do you have AAA ? 2000 miles is a long way. It's getting cold out...safer to have it checked out.

Where are you, may be someone is local?

Just noticed the OP was two months ago...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived