LegacyGT.com

Well, the legacy is gone and replaced with...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been chewing on this for some time. I have tested the Is350 about 5 times. The dealers are low pressure so they never call (or they think I'm not serious.)

I cant decide at this point if I really want a new car. I mean I like the luxury features the Is350 has, but I dont know that it would be faster than an LGT and with only RWD my fun in the rain would be all but gone... not that I do anything stupid in the rain... ;)

Part of me wants to pay off the LGT, but another part of me is annoyed at the lack of options the LGT has had. HID retrofits are a disaster or are very costly and require lots of wire hacking, navigation systems are the same, bluetooth is non existant.. the LGT is a great raw performance sedan, but when it comes to the finer things in life in usdm models anyway it always measures up short.

How were they on price? Is lexus like bmw where you pay sticker or they put their shiny dress shoe up your ass out the door? I'm not ready to blow ~$45k for a car either way but if they would flex on that price... a lot... it might still be something to consider.

I'd also like to know how these cars are in relation to lgt insurance.

The dealers in your area must really suck. The place I used to work for would discount the IS350, and we would also discount 335's too.

At 6'3", I could not sit in the driver's seat with it all the way down (not enough headroom)

I have plenty of room in the Outback (with sunroof)

The IS has a very small interior, that rules the car out for four adults to travel in.

I seem to recall it being about as roomy or moreso than the legacy in most dimensions. The rear leg room left some to be desired but anything in this size does. the only thing that got in my way was the fat center stack that kept pushing my leg away from the gas pedal. I suppose thats a fuel economy feature. :lol: Most cars are like that these days however. I like to rest my knee on the center console trim on the legacy when driving. It keeps the weight of my leg off the pedal.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I seem to recall it being about as roomy or moreso than the legacy in most dimensions. The rear leg room left some to be desired but anything in this size does. the only thing that got in my way was the fat center stack that kept pushing my leg away from the gas pedal. I suppose thats a fuel economy feature. :lol: Most cars are like that these days however. I like to rest my knee on the center console trim on the legacy when driving. It keeps the weight of my leg off the pedal.

No headroom in front or back for me, and no knee room in back. I am only 5'10", so it shouldn't have been an issue. The front seat can't go down vertically far enough to give me more clearance. So unless I lean the seat back farther than I like I don't fit. The back seat is worthless.

+1

Wish the IS350 came in AWD!

Why is it the kneejerk reaction that all good sport sedans have to be AWD, just because its a subaru board? There are a LOT of places in the country where AWD really isnt necessary. Im planning on my next car to be RWD for sure, after all, all my AWD is currently doing is adding weight, worsening fuel economy.

Why is it the kneejerk reaction that all good sport sedans have to be AWD, just because its a subaru board? There are a LOT of places in the country where AWD really isnt necessary. Im planning on my next car to be RWD for sure, after all, all my AWD is currently doing is adding weight, worsening fuel economy.

I can say from spending a number oh hours behind the wheel of an IS300 that this car needs AWD. I've never seen a traction control light come on more times than in that car. Rain, snow, even dry roads.

Oh and the IS350 also needs a MT.

Anyway, okay so the people bitching about the tight interior, I don't understand? The subaru in the places it is bigger is by .2-.5 inches...

for instance

Legacy Is350

Headroom(F) 37.6 37.2

Headroom® 36.5 36.7

Legroom(F) 44.1 43.9

Legroom® 33.9 30.6

Shoulderoom(F) 54.2 54.4

Shoulderoom® 53.7 52.7

So there is a little less cabin space in the front, not by alot and more shoulder room and rear head room. The back is more cramped, good thing I don't care for having more than 1 or 2 other people in my car. It is also a more dynamic, coupe styled exterior which is why. The Legacy is a more tradition styled sedan.

But to say you are uncomfortable at 5'10 is ridiculous as I am 5'11 with plenty of room, don't leave out the part where you weigh 600 lbs so your ass measures an extra 10" of height when you sit down in comparison to other average size 6 footers.

I've been chewing on this for some time. I have tested the Is350 about 5 times. The dealers are low pressure so they never call (or they think I'm not serious.)

I cant decide at this point if I really want a new car. I mean I like the luxury features the Is350 has, but I dont know that it would be faster than an LGT and with only RWD my fun in the rain would be all but gone... not that I do anything stupid in the rain... ;)

Part of me wants to pay off the LGT, but another part of me is annoyed at the lack of options the LGT has had. HID retrofits are a disaster or are very costly and require lots of wire hacking, navigation systems are the same, bluetooth is non existant.. the LGT is a great raw performance sedan, but when it comes to the finer things in life in usdm models anyway it always measures up short.

How were they on price? Is lexus like bmw where you pay sticker or they put their shiny dress shoe up your ass out the door? I'm not ready to blow ~$45k for a car either way but if they would flex on that price... a lot... it might still be something to consider.

I'd also like to know how these cars are in relation to lgt insurance.

I went through that same exact arguement in my head as you!

I got mine for about 4k under sticker.

I switched to a different insurance company when I bought this car and ended up saving 200 dollars every 6 month even with raising my liability limits by 250,000 dollars. If you don't shop, I'd say you're probably looking at 200 more every 6 months.

the IS350 won my heart over.

It's what you want, RAW performance and good looks, modibility.

or

Baller status, Better performance, great looks, brand recognition, refinement and creature comforts.

I'd say comparing the two cars is unfair.

The Legacy is a great car for what it is.

The Lexus has more and delivers more and carries a much higher premium for it. We're comparing cars that have $15k difference in price tag here, but for me it was just worth it.

maybe you're doing it wrong?;)

woa woa $200 more? thats insane.. why would it be so much? Insurance is already a damn rip off..

I dont really care about "baller status" or anything like that.. I want an attractive car that doesn't have to back down in traffic situations that require more power than the average guy who is having a bad day and doesn't want to let you in. I want navigation for vacations that I would hopefully still be able to afford.. and I want the other gadges and stuff like hids and bluetooth w/o having to hack on my own car and pay thousands and thousands in aftermarket mods that only I can fix when they break. I have tried and tried and tried since I started driving to customize my cars and its alwayus just been a huge pain in the ass. Its always the same game.. you spend thousands on something.. it breaks.. well you put it in so only you can fix it.. Unfortunatley it seems I do not have the time to be an enthusiast or fabricator and thats one thing thats attracting me to luxury sport sedans like the IS350.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

maybe you're doing it wrong?;)

woa woa $200 more? thats insane.. why would it be so much? Insurance is already a damn rip off..

I dont really care about "baller status" or anything like that.. I want an attractive car that doesn't have to back down in traffic situations that require more power than the average guy who is having a bad day and doesn't want to let you in. I want navigation for vacations that I would hopefully still be able to afford.. and I want the other gadges and stuff like hids and bluetooth w/o having to hack on my own car and pay thousands and thousands in aftermarket mods that only I can fix when they break. I have tried and tried and tried since I started driving to customize my cars and its alwayus just been a huge pain in the ass. Its always the same game.. you spend thousands on something.. it breaks.. well you put it in so only you can fix it.. Unfortunatley it seems I do not have the time to be an enthusiast or fabricator and thats one thing thats attracting me to luxury sport sedans like the IS350.

It sounds like it would be a good decision for you. You sound to have alot of the same concerns for me so I'll make my list and you see if it matches yours.

1.) I (personally) wanted the baller status and brand recognition, if I'm paying 5xx/month for a god damn car I want people to ooh ahh and look at me. Maybe I'm Just shallow

2.) Air conditioned seats, heated seats, back up camera, headlamp washers, HID's, 13 speaker audio system, Navigation, memory driver and passenger seats, power adjustable I think 10 or 12 way for D and P. One tuch up and down for all 4 windows, Adaptive headlights, push button start, never have to take the key out EVER, not even to unlock.

3.) Great straight line performance (I've seen 4.9-5.3 0-60 and as low as 13.3 stock in 1/4) as well as handling in stock forms.

4.) Great looks, 18" wheels, sporty coupe like sedan.

5.) I just don't have the time to keep up maintenance and mod, I just want a car I can get in and be happy with every day (may do coils and wheels, but that's it)

6.) I can't justify dumping 10k into a legacy and still not have half the refinement and features as I do in what would now be the same priced IS350

It's a reliable fast sporty fun DD. it's that simple and you don't have to worry about the bull shit with modding.

I say Insurance 200 every 6 months because that's what my insurer said. But I am 21 with a not so great driving record in the past.

I loved my Legacy, but I have no regrets, there were too many quirks to look past and too much left to be desired with the legacy.

If I was going to do heavy modding I would've kept the Legacy, but I knew I wasn't going to so I spend the money elsewhere on a new car :)

Guys, don't take this wrong, I'm not bashing the Legacy, I just personally was over it, I still love them and my roomate has one so I still get to drive it from time to time :)

I get where you're coming from. Sure the lgt has stepped it up a tiny bit with navigation and aux. in and satellite radio options in recent years, but for us in the usdm market we get the short end of the stick when it comes to luxury options.. so I know where you're coming from.

I just turned 27 :( so I shouldn't see that kind of increase but I also dont plan to be paying that much/month. I want to keep it around 400. If my car was paid off I could save up to achieve that but its gonna take a few months.. especially since my home PC just blew up. I may just go w/o for now..

a/c'd seats would be really nice.. heated seats are great in the winter, but here in GA the seats even with tinting can get HOT and I've actually found that hot seats=sweat=color fade into the almost ivory leather that the "tan" interior LGT has. I have had to have mine detailed a few times in the years that I've hda it to make sure that any color fade from my dark pants would not be permanent. (sounds gross I know but it happns to all of you!)

My father raised an interesting point on this since he knows me well. I'm a lead foot and easily get frustrated when a car does not have the power I want. There are times when if I'm irritated by an event on the road or just in a bad mood or even in a really good mood that I may drive rather aggressivley during my commute. The legacy is the 1st car I've owned that will do that for me w/o smelling like horrible unburnt fuel or bogging down and resisting me. Have you found the same with the IS? or do you not drive like I do? :p:lol: I want to make sure my next car is as fun as this one.

1.) I (personally) wanted the baller status and brand recognition, if I'm paying 5xx/month for a god damn car I want people to ooh ahh and look at me. Maybe I'm Just shallow

2.) ... push button start, never have to take the key out EVER, not even to unlock.

3.) ...

4.) ...

5.) I just don't have the time to keep up maintenance and mod, I just want a car I can get in and be happy with every day (may do coils and wheels, but that's it)

6.) I can't justify dumping 10k into a legacy and still not have half the refinement and features as I do in what would now be the same priced IS350

It's a reliable fast sporty fun DD. it's that simple and you don't have to worry about the bull shit with modding.

I say Insurance 200 every 6 months because that's what my insurer said. But I am 21 with a not so great driving record in the past.

I loved my Legacy, but I have no regrets, there were too many quirks to look past and too much left to be desired with the legacy.

If I was going to do heavy modding I would've kept the Legacy, but I knew I wasn't going to so I spend the money elsewhere on a new car :)

Guys, don't take this wrong, I'm not bashing the Legacy, I just personally was over it, I still love them and my roomate has one so I still get to drive it from time to time :)

Great car by the way. I may not agree with lots of other things you stated but I give you props for the taste. Drive it carefully and enjoy it thoroughly.

But...from all the excitement caused by this story I must have skipped the relevant paragraph. So please, remind me...what do your mommy and daddy do for a living ?

Great car by the way. I may not agree with lots of other things you stated but I give you props for the taste. Drive it carefully and enjoy it thoroughly.

But...from all the excitement caused by this story I must have skipped the relevant paragraph. So please, remind me...what do your mommy and daddy do for a living ?

You're a ******* idiot.

First of all I paid for both of my Legacy's by myself.

I pay for the IS350 by myself. I do very well for myself and no I don't live at home, but thanks.

*edit*

I just don't get why people have to be so ignorant, just because a young person drives a nice car doesn't mean it's mommy and daddy paid for. If that was the case I would have gotten an IS-F. Sure at 21 it's not the smartest financial decision, but I've got a decent income and decent credit and things like this are what I worked hard for. It's still pretty ridiculous to make an accusation like that without knowing anything about my situation. Give credit where it's due.

+1 on age vs car. (not the idiot part, name calling never got us anywhere.) I bought a silverado with a sticker of 38 when I was 21. I had very little expenses at the time. I actually lived with my parents at the time so I did not have a mortgage, power bills, cable bills etc. etc. etc. etc. ad nausium to pay for.

It may not have been the smartest decision at the time but you only live once right?

Now if you were 17 or something then i might be suspicious of the income source but it can be done if you are on the up and up by 21.

I think we've all grown past this whole "mommy and daddys car" argument phase tho haven't we? Even if someones parents do pay for something its no reason to criticize.

Guest heightsgtltd
You're a ******* idiot.

First of all I paid for both of my Legacy's by myself.

I pay for the IS350 by myself. I do very well for myself and no I don't live at home, but thanks.

*edit*

I just don't get why people have to be so ignorant, just because a young person drives a nice car doesn't mean it's mommy and daddy paid for. If that was the case I would have gotten an IS-F. Sure at 21 it's not the smartest financial decision, but I've got a decent income and decent credit and things like this are what I worked hard for. It's still pretty ridiculous to make an accusation like that without knowing anything about my situation. Give credit where it's due.

Okay Okay, but are you paying rent or are you living GWIM-style? :lol:

I Pay rent, I pay my college tuition, I pay my uitilites. I pay for gas, food, car insurance, renters insurance, car payment, misc household needs and everything else in this world that I have,need, or want. I don't know what GWIM, I could live in a nicer neighborhood/place (which when my lease is up I am). But right now I have a 3 bedroom town house in a middle class neighborhood 10 mins from work and 5 minutes from anything else I'd ever need.

I worked hard to be where I am so I could afford nice things, I mean seriously, age vs. car? What if I have a million dollars (I wish! :()? It's no different than me being 40 and making the same salary and doing this. Oh and I put 10% of my paycheck in my 401k and whatever I have left over after bills into a money market.

I didn't post this car here for you to try and give me financial advice, IF you disagree with it carry your ass to another thread, it's that simple.

I've worked since I was 16 made good money selling cars when I was 18 saved alot because back then I DID live at home, and now I have a good career with a large company that pays me well.

But like darkfox said, aren't we passed this shit. Oh and if it'll make you feel any better I'll be 22 in 13 days, does that make me old enough?

I don't mean to rant and rave, but I get tired of eharing that bullshit from everyone, when I've worked just as hard (maybe not for as long yet) as anyone else.

Levinson would have been nice, but I wasn't that crazy about having it since this had every other option I wanted and I got a good deal on it.

so that part confuses me.. because when you go on the lexus website it doesn't let you choose the options you want.. it basically has.. what color.. what interior.. and do you want navigation? I know there are other packages and remember the dealer talking about them but he tried to dismiss it as "oh you dont want that." Sorry.. but a luxury car that isn't loaded is just transportation. ;) Thats why I went with the legacy.. I have a hard time controlling myself when it comes to getting something loaded. I go through this every time.. I find a car I want (like the audi a4 or the bmw 335i) and I load it up with every option and then I wind up with an RS4 thats like 70k or an m3 thats like 61k and I simply cant afford that.. so I walk away from the entire line of car..

I could probably live w/o the top level audio especially considering the lgt is not real big on top quality, anything else may feel like top of the line...

Well.. it looks like my computer is going to cost me a couple grand... dammit... I wonder if the 09 or 2010 is will be different lol..

Archived