LegacyGT.com

Interior Carbon Fiber/Glossy Black

evams

Was just currious if anybody had a thought like me to change out the Wooden piecies for Carbon Fiber. I really want to do this. I hate the old fart woodtrim...lol...also possibly instead of the grayish center console to change it to a Glossy black finish. I live in columbus, Ohio where i have no idea where to go to do these mods.

Ya that I guess the overlay might work. The part that is the grayish part in the center concole i would want to paint a glossy black. I dunno I'll have to check a few import part stores around here to see if anybody knows of shops that paint interior parts.

• 7 months later...
Couped up all day with strep throat, my mind started to wonder. After reading at least 500 posts, I was inspired by Patagonian GT's thread on Carbon Fiber Thingy's. I got out the ol'l carbon tape and did my dash pieces. (I hate the wood anyway!) Here is how it turned out.

IMG_2366.JPG.14cac695b9d560b63c0891df6f9902e6.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG.edbc0bc9222c305497b801ed3510ca06.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG.7fb8c9db6fef8b4e5f171b6706c50f7a.JPG

Guest *Jedimaster*
Couped up all day with strep throat, my mind started to wonder. After reading at least 500 posts, I was inspired by Patagonian GT's thread on Carbon Fiber Thingy's. I got out the ol'l carbon tape and did my dash pieces. (I hate the wood anyway!) Here is how it turned out.

Looks Goooood! I may do that as well as the piece around the shifter. :cool:

That turned out much mice than I would have thought possible! Cool! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

E-bay. :)

They lack optical depth - that's the thing.... :(

These are indeed made from very good vinyl, but it can only simulate the real texturing so much.....which is why I was surprised that it looks so good in those photos.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Thanks for all the great compliments! I'm actually surprised that it turned out as nice as it did. If it did not look almost factory, I would have abandoned ship on the whole project.

As far as answering some of the questions on the thread:

a.) I took off the pieces on the center consol, but did not take off the doors,

as that is a royal pain in the ass to get the door handles off.

b.) I bought my carbon tape in the "Ricer" section of Murray's autoparts! (There is better stuff out there on the web. (more depth, real carbon etc.) but I already had this stuff on hand for a project I did on my kid's ski helmet.

c.) The tape is very easy to work with as long as you take your time.

To do the project you will need a:

1.) straight razor blade

2.) a pin

3.) hair dryer

I don't recommend using a heat gun as the tape expands/contracts too quickly with the intense heat.

Once you have laid down the tape, heat up the entire area and mold the tape around the item. There will be a few bubbles to deal with. This is where the pin comes in handy. Pop the bubble with the pin, heat up the area with the hair dryer and the bubble will go away. (you'll never see the hole from the pin)

Use the straight razor to trim the edges and then heat up the edge and smooth the tape out. Your done.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Another option is to let the tape warm in the sun, spray a bit of water on the part and then stretch it ever so slightly by hand as you go. That's what I did when I did the "spats" on my XT.

Komodo - again, mad props, your Kung-Fu is excellent, and again, that turned out really, really, really well! I wish there was a "thumbs-up" smiley!

:)

------

what is the best way to pull the faux wood pieces off, how are they held on? Just don't want to start yanking at my dash.

Look in the "Walk Throughs" section - there's a comprehensive walk-through on how to replace the in-cabin air filter. Within that walk-through, it details removal of nearly all of the console trim, including, most importantly, the faux-wood side trim that you're interested in.

:)

Archived