LegacyGT.com

Blown out crossover pipe

FPerron

My 2 year old Ingen crossover pipe just blew out at the flex joint. I've got the ported-by-Crucial manifold ends, so I want to replace the crossover pipe with something better flowing than stock. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What? I didnt even know these existed until a couple days ago and now I understand that I NEED one! How hard is the install on these? I suppose I would need a retune?

I am stage 2T with PDX tune currently and I assume that this piece would significantly improve air flow.

you won't need a retune and it's pretty easy to do. You can also port your manifolds while you are down there.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

FPerron - Was the Injen COP a corrogated one (similar to stock) or was it a SS mesh like GS is offering in the link above?. How many miles on this and under what driving conditions - don't recall your location - so winter, heat, frigid cold, etc.?

I think I'd seriously consider their P&P manifold set with the hi-flow crossover pipe and their flex up-pipe, all ceramic coated, over a SS EL header/UP setup. Definitely want to keep the boxer burble and it seems like this would offset any EL header gains. Any down side to a full GS setup? Any possible way that the internal coating could come off and fubar the turbo - whether GS's or Crucial's?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

ahh. crossover pipe install is easy? I have one to go into the STI soon. I thermal wrapped it and also sprayed it with silicon. I hope that works well... i'm told it's like a poor man's headers. LOL
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Tonight I installed my header (crucial ported OEM manifolds) w/ a grimmspeed crossover pipe. The install is a breeze. Two 14mm wrenches for the crossover pipe and you're golden. Maybe a little PB Blaster depending on your winter/salt exposure.

Super easy...right smack dab in front of your face when you're under the car. The header install itself is a breeze as well

I'll let you know about the undertray fitment tonight as I'm driving the car a bit and will get under there to re-tighten all nuts/bolts.

No leaks or anything and it all lined up perfectly w/ my Crucial up-pipe. Very pleased with fitment.

No insight on gains at this point either unfortunately...this is part of an overall build I'm working on over time.

What about just adding the x-over pipe to a basic stage 2 set up (AP,DP), any noticeable gains? Noise increase?
Probably a little up top, but even w/ tuning, just the x-pipe on it's own will not add that much
Does the COP fit under the engine under guard without issue?
Unless you get a real wierd x-pipe, I can not think of any way it wouldn't fit. They are generally exactly the same length and lay-out as stock, just a little thicker.

Mine is the Injen coated by Crucial and I have had no problems w/ it for 2.5 years or so. Plastic cover fit, now the Rallitek skid plate fits.

The stock heatshields will not fit over the pipe though...

:spin:

I put the undertray on and it fits no problem.

There is a noticeable ticking sound which is common. You can wrap the xpipe if you want to avoid the ticking sound but I don't care that much.

I hope this xpipe holds up...it's a perfect fit and finish which is a tall order w/ aftermarket parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about grimmspeed crossover pipe + ported stock headers.. Is there is a big difference between ported stock crossover against grimmspeed crossover pipe? In diameter, flow? As I understand, they can port stock, or you can have their pipe..

$200 for all stock pipes ported v.s $324 with ported stock headers + grimmspeed crossover pipe.

Does it worth it to pay 124 more?

There are no bad people, just differeent.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I have a question.

Do you guys think coating makes that big of a difference performance-wise. Worth the extra money?

I have the Maddad V2 UEL headers currently, one of the welds just cracked and I need to replace the header.

My options are:

Maddad offered to sell me a new Header for $380 shipped. (pretty good discount)

I could go the P&P route and get the HiFlow COP from Grimmspeed and get it coated since my stock header is just laying around. This is the most expensive option but seems like it would be the most reliable, long-term choice.

FPerron - Was the Injen COP a corrogated one (similar to stock) or was it a SS mesh like GS is offering in the link above?. How many miles on this and under what driving conditions - don't recall your location - so winter, heat, frigid cold, etc.?

I think I'd seriously consider their P&P manifold set with the hi-flow crossover pipe and their flex up-pipe, all ceramic coated, over a SS EL header/UP setup. Definitely want to keep the boxer burble and it seems like this would offset any EL header gains. Any down side to a full GS setup? Any possible way that the internal coating could come off and fubar the turbo - whether GS's or Crucial's?

Personally, I think these "virtual headers" are a viable choice in any setup. However, don't kid yourself about them offsetting any EL header gains. What is, is.

Keeping the sound you want is often just as important, or more so, than any X amount of horsepower. It is all a matter of personal perspective, the owner's likes and dislikes. But, there are alternate perspectives, including those that put the subjective in the backseat, favoring mechanical performance over human emotions. In this case a header, such as the APS, for example, will increase performance over a virtual header.

I've said it before, and hope it never comes true, but if/when my exquisite APS headers fail I have my ported stockers as backups. In truth, I may try to fix the APS headers, they've long since defined my car as unique among Subies around here. I enjoy what they bring, in total.

What is interesting here is the fact a virtual header has failed, instead of the usual bashing of a "real" header. And that is my perspective, things break, and problems are always opportunities for improvement. Just like now.

Bump for some help.

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I have a question.

Do you guys think coating makes that big of a difference performance-wise. Worth the extra money?

I have the Maddad V2 UEL headers currently, one of the welds just cracked and I need to replace the header.

My options are:

Maddad offered to sell me a new Header for $380 shipped. (pretty good discount)

I could go the P&P route and get the HiFlow COP from Grimmspeed and get it coated since my stock header is just laying around. This is the most expensive option but seems like it would be the most reliable, long-term choice.

Archived