LegacyGT.com

Recaro Seat Install

al-gorithm

Well, I finally did it. I did some searching on NASIOC, bought some parts and slapped it all in.

One thing I do have to say is that this doesn't go in as easy as they do in the STi from what I've read.

Issues:

1. The bases/brackets from Speedware for the WRX and STi don't fit the rear left and rear right bolt locations. Only the front two match. I had to make roughed in metal adapters which I will weld in place when I take the seats out again. *more on this below re:#3.
  2. The seat is aligned 1-2 inches to the left. This makes the recline hard to get to unless you slide the seat up forward. The shoulder bolster against the B-Pillar also rubs a little. Dropping your phone beside the centre console has become that much easier.
  3. I couldn't get the heater elements out of the stock seats, well really the back one I couldn't. I can pull the covers back on the Recaros so I will buy some heater elements and put them on.

Things I found out:

1. The wiring below the seat. The side airbag is tricked by a 3.3ohm resistor. There are two plugs for the seat belt sensor. One sensor for the seat position which was transferable to the Recaro because of the base/bracket installed. One connection for the heated seats.
  2. A one inch square tubing spacer between the rails and the base offer close to similar height as the Recaros sit lower (lower have is not as tall as the stock seat)
  3. After sitting in the stock legacy seat again, I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back. It feels like I am sitting on a bench compared to the Recaro.

All in all, it can be done. I've only done the driver's side but will do the passenger's side this week. It should be the same with the addition of the passenger sensor. I don't think I will bother calibrating the sensor at the dealership. I'll just get one of my friend's kids at the shop to sit on the seat and test. I think it's 40 lbs that it activates so I'll test and report back.

I wouldn't recommend this to people who are extremely picky on how centered their seat is or do not have any ability to fabricate adapters or weld new tabs to the bases.

But I do have to say they feel great to sit in. I always lean to the left when I drive so it brings me closer to the door armrest. I've sat in all other OEM Subaru seats and these, to me, are way better in support especially in turns. I don't slide around hardly. I hope I can swap the covers onto the rears. That's my next project after the passenger seat.

UPDATE: I got the driver's seat aligned properly. Fortunately the speedware brackets have slots that allow positioning for centering. Now I can put an amp under there with all the room.

08 Sti seats aren't that much of an improvement over the LGTs, just sat in on today.

I think they suck and are worse than LGT seats.

I was thinking of securing the side airbags to the frame like they are in the stock seat, then stitching a velcro piece along the side stitching or it's stock equivalent position where it would eject. This is overkill for me, but if I had the time, I would do that but I don't think it would work because I think the frame is too far deep in the seat for it to properly inflate.

Speedware doesn't make brackets for the LGT. It would have to be custom for that. Maybe I'll offer to template a set for them. I'm not the only one with recaro seats on this board. I think he had to get his modified too but I don't know for sure.

What about JDM 08+ sti seats? Did the jdm STI come with recaros as standard?

As an option, yes. So do EDM have that option - non-UK EDM would be a better choice if one doesn't want to sit in passenger seat all the time :lol:

Speedware doesn't make brackets for the LGT. It would have to be custom for that. Maybe I'll offer to template a set for them. I'm not the only one with recaro seats on this board. I think he had to get his modified too but I don't know for sure.

Maybe you shouldn't buy from Speedware:

http://tees-usa.com/seatrail_su.html

Bride has two styles of rails that will fit your Recaro.

the gc or gd chassis seat brackets dont fit at all from what i was told the pan on the legacy is the same as an outback. as for rails and brackets i bought mine from wedge engineering. as for the passenger side good luck on that im still trying to figure out how to get rid of the airbag light there is like a million wires under there.

As an option, yes. So do EDM have that option - non-UK EDM would be a better choice if one doesn't want to sit in passenger seat all the time :lol:

so, the best bet is to get a LHD EDM 08+ sti front seat set. Anyone know any place that imports this stuff?

so, the best bet is to get a LHD EDM 089+ sti front seat set. Anyone know any place that imports this stuff?

We lack good Euro importer on the board... plus with EUR/USD rate I am afraid to know the cost. We should ask Japanparts if they have access to Euro spec parts. After all they come from Japan...

Archived