LegacyGT.com

Executor's Carputer Install

executor485

Alright, so I've decided to take the plunge and see what I can do with a carputer now :)

The setup:

Case: Morex 3688

Motherboard: VIA EPIA M1000 Mini ITX Form Factor

Ram: 512 MB

Hard Drive: 80 GB

CD-RW/DVD-ROM: Panasonic Slot Load

Power Supply: MIATX Car Power Supply

Operating System: Windows XP Home with CD

Monitor: Lilliput 629GL-70NP/C/T

The journey:

Step 1: Removing the plastic bits from the cubby bezel with a dremel. That wasnt too bad, I forgot to take pictures of that process, but its pretty straight forward.

Step 2: Making the screen holder. This wouldnt have been so bad if the monitor wasnt a lilliput 629. It has a HUGE faceplate with some massive buttons and it just wouldnt fit properly in the open space, so I've gotta make a custom face for it :S eeekkk...

Step 3: Deciding what to use. I have a lot of extra MDF lying around, 3/4" to be exact... So I made a nice little holder, it's the right size to fit in the cubby, hold the screen, and hopefully have a little room left over to make some kind of custom buttons to press for power/menu/etc. Hopefully, I havent quite gotten that far yet, but its a work in progress... I think I'm just going to use little rods or something of the sort. Dunno yet.

Step 4: The screen holder revised. So, I cut it all out, got it measured properly, got the screen width right, and I thought about it... This is pretty deep... 3/4" back, :S Ughhh... Well, this is MDF, so lets try to split it in half and see what happens from there. So, thats what I did, and somehow it worked.

Step 5: Lots and lots of sanding, chiseling, more sanding, test fitting, more chisel and sand paper... Ongoing process... Now its about 1/3" thick and has a nice bevel to the faceplate where the screen sits, like the plastic bezel it comes with...

Step 6: The test fit. So I applied some quick glue to it and stuck it in the car to see what it looks like. Not too bad actually. It still needs a LOT of work, but I wanna see some type of progress. :)

Step 7: Liquid nail is my friend :) Yes, I said liquid nail. No, I'm not using the liquid nail so I can sand it, paint it, have all the gaps filled, and just wham there it is... But I can say its the best gap filler AND glue that I could find. So its holding the MDF in place so that I can complete the next step after it all dries...

Step 8: Fiberglassing... At least I think thats where I'm going with it. Fiberglass over the gaps, sand it down really nice and smooth, see what that does for it. Hrmm...

But for now I'm just waiting for the liquid nail to dry so I can start working on the next step. Kinda anxious to get this all up and running.

On the computer side of the house... Been testing some things, microXP, liteXP, XP home... Trying to make road runner work for me... Hoping and praying that I can get the thing to work properly before I shove it in the car and go "crap, what have I done". lol

So, stay tuned for the whole saga... I'll try to take as many pictures as I can, and I'm reserving the first, oh... 6 posts in this thread for pictures. That should be ok I think, that way people dont have to go scouring the thread for all the pictures :)

100_1129.thumb.jpg.801fe066afe0fda469b8b984c1e37fdc.jpg

100_1133.thumb.jpg.76d5fe44381c2fe87bd9a8b4be7251dc.jpg

100_1135.thumb.jpg.45463b33c5b8206e105a004496cfe742.jpg

100_1157.thumb.jpg.f67cf1b5738911b81eafbdec801f9abc.jpg

100_1158.thumb.jpg.2a35b8ab8da6c5d5b12326331fef54ec.jpg

100_1159.thumb.jpg.6246edeae2757b3fac36a8c0d3fb4c11.jpg

100_1160.thumb.jpg.02155e9ab1adb1e8e502f65806ad47ca.jpg

100_1162.thumb.jpg.bed561983af8609b14b64e00debdbf09.jpg

100_1163.thumb.jpg.06abe396e76fc1624ade852a3806d32f.jpg

100_1164.thumb.jpg.967885e81b235658ebac64d19eb73ade.jpg

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'm hoping to somehow make the computer portion fit in the glovebox area... But it might be a little too big for that :S So I'm going to see what I can do there.

Also, once the screen is completed, it should be recessed into the dash about 1.25 inches, maybe a bit more... This should give ample shade from most sunlight angles, I'm hoping... But I dont want it recessed too much because I still want to keep a mostly factory look.

P.S. Does anyone know the paint code for the color of the cubby bezel? I'd like to keep it the same and keep the same type of texture/feel.

100_1147.thumb.jpg.d4463cfe4990f5caedca6b77e0715131.jpg

100_1148.thumb.jpg.327bcdc76438f7e4984527378a749df4.jpg

100_1149.thumb.jpg.daefa2456285462d76152e97465d54ae.jpg

100_1150.thumb.jpg.febb96c7d48ec3f47b1aa81d645339f1.jpg

100_1167.thumb.jpg.78abd731d973dabee290764a663e8f23.jpg

100_1168.thumb.jpg.22ef466123be19c791c8f0e3bdb996f4.jpg

100_1169.thumb.jpg.144813e6d88a602ecd3922b121c5f660.jpg

100_1170.thumb.jpg.96db0a32a883faf342d02963aa1324f3.jpg

100_1171.thumb.jpg.c4e66cd7afe332af149b73a661399524.jpg

100_1172.thumb.jpg.04715699331f08aee5fc5a48db6c7d86.jpg

Edit 8/14/08:

New updates with new pictures. I have gone back and modified some of the pictures in the first posts that I had.

1) I found that the angle of the MDF was going to be a problem, it was too steep and gave off that LCD blacked out problem. So I went back and started modifying my ideas and process.

2) I decided to install the monitor and the computer without the bezel for a while for a couple of reasons. First, the dynatron that I decided to use for the bezel rather than using bondo, just came in yesterday and it took about a week for it to get here. Second, it gave me an idea of what to expect and possibly give me idea's for monitor angles and such.

3) I got the dynatron (urathane bumper repair kit) in yesterday and started going to town. Initial impressions of dynatron, this stuff isnt too bad really. Its flexable, so you dont have to worry about it cracking like you would with bondo, and its very quick to dry and start working with. You can start sanding the stuff in about 20 min. Realized that I need some heavier grit sand paper though.

4) The new angle will be more suitable for the screen, and I'm using the plastic bezel that came with the monitor rather than trying to mount the screen to the MDF which could cause problems down the line.

5) The MDF strips that are holding the screen to the bezel were removed after the dynatron had settled. They held the angle very well while I needed them to :)

6) Dont forget to sand the surface your applying to. In my rush I forgot to sand down the area where the dynatron was going to adhere to. I didnt mess it up completely, but it was interesting going back and finishing that up.

7) The dynatron kit came with some mesh that I used for the big gaps, you can see the mesh in a few pictures. It worked really well and I think that the dynatron is a LOT easier to work with than fiberglass or bondo. Once it's sanded down nicely, smooth it out again with another layer possibly, and sanded down and painted, it should look pretty good.

8) I initially wanted the buttons to be visible and useable, but because the lilliput casing is so large, it would not fit in the bezel properly. I could mount the buttons to the bottom where the flat area is, but I think that would look tacky. So I'm going to just mount the IR sensor in the left air vent and use the remote if I have any problems.

100_1156.thumb.jpg.88a7ff8c606af786a35d19c8a0f8d2ea.jpg

100_1154.thumb.jpg.4bf7a9828eb84082b18071169c2e2278.jpg

100_1153.thumb.jpg.258aac93fe0c8cb7fb2761f13e983dd5.jpg

100_1152.thumb.jpg.82b971c86f4de6edca9014d934984bf8.jpg

The finished product... QUITE a bit later than the original start date.

I had it in the car unfinished for about 7 months (it was horrid, but I didnt have any time) and finally got the time this past weekend. Took it out and started sanding.

The finished results are in the pics below. There are some obvious blemishes and issues in the pictures, but they are barely noticeable in the car. I might take it out someday and reapply some dynatron and bondo spot putty, but probably not going to happen for quite some time if I do. For now it looks great and works perfectly.

100_2043.thumb.JPG.2f51f3d722616068137e7b79ab022132.JPG

100_2044.thumb.JPG.996071a53a52157cb96f5f9d4626a1f0.JPG

100_2045.thumb.JPG.ef8ed5a26706da513bf6cb68ef1e615f.JPG

100_2046.thumb.JPG.f20e5102e67800d1077bd0ea462945b7.JPG

100_2047.thumb.JPG.12d62b538ab363d4641c72a4cbbd84fc.JPG

100_2048.thumb.JPG.ddba191b4d744fbdf0b6e5f43922b907.JPG

100_2049.thumb.JPG.62055159482df547b72613b315f309c3.JPG

Sweet looking project.

What are you doing for a stereo? Just the stock unit there?

I've already got a sweet setup. :)

JL Cleansweep

JL 300/4

JL 500/1

Focal 165 Polyglass

2 x JL 10w3's in custom fiberglass boxes.

:)

Seems like getting a OEM touchscreen would be much easier and cleaner. Also, a Mac Mini fits right into the place for the Manual in the glove box. It would be virtually plug and play after you ran the wires. Good Luck!

That all depends on how many of those bezels you screw up modifying it. Not to mention a scratch on that would be much more noticeable than doing a large hole at the back of the glove box. OEM touchscreen & Mac would be more expensive, but much cleaner. And running windows on a mac mini is a breeze.

Executer, any pics of Lilliput 629GL-70NP/C/T?

Executer, that's a sweet setup. The JL 300/4 and 500/1 are killer amps.

How does the Cleansweep work? I've had bad experiences with OEM integration.

It sounds great :) Really enjoy it.

As for the cleansweep, it works great! I havent had any problems with it yet. Dont really think there's anything I can complain about with it, its pretty basic and straight forward.

As for the screen portion, I was thinking about it this morning, trying to play with the touchscreen some more with the bezel overlaying it and I'm not too sure this is the route I'm going to stick with... I might lay a couple of layers of fiberglass over it and go a different route. We shall see I guess... I havent messed anything up too much yet. :)

That all depends on how many of those bezels you screw up modifying it. Not to mention a scratch on that would be much more noticeable than doing a large hole at the back of the glove box. OEM touchscreen & Mac would be more expensive, but much cleaner. And running windows on a mac mini is a breeze.

Executer, any pics of Lilliput 629GL-70NP/C/T?

Added some pictures of the lilliput, but they are in broken down mode :) I kinda tore up the faceplate for possible mounting solutions.

Also, with the modifying a bezel as opposed to factory... Cost :) Well, that and the fact that I enjoy modifying and making custom things that look really good :) Thats why I made those subwoofer enslosures. lol

The total cost for this project will be under $400 with all the materials, all the parts for the car pc (got em at a really good price), tools, etc... Would have liked the mini mac, but its too pricy and I dont like mac all that much :) lol... But regardless, its all about the dollars in the end

so don't post it in the CarPC thread cause yours is so much better than ours !

Ouch... Feelin the burn here.

:attention:

I'm going to link to this thread in that one when this is all complete, but I wanted to make a walkthrough type setup for others who might follow. I've seen a couple of other threads very similar as well.

Besides, I'm not sure if mine will be good enough for that thread ;)

As for the screen portion, I was thinking about it this morning, trying to play with the touchscreen some more with the bezel overlaying it and I'm not too sure this is the route I'm going to stick with... I might lay a couple of layers of fiberglass over it and go a different route. We shall see I guess... I havent messed anything up too much yet. :)

Some food for thought:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1690413&postcount=33

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1697683&postcount=38

This was done for me by (lately inactive) member BMac1203. I'm pretty happy with it. I only wish I'd gone with a more expensive, brighter screen, but I think I can swap that myself when I'm ready to spend on the upgrade.

Yes, I like that screen very much :)

Also, I have ripped out the MDF and liquid nail from the bezel and I'm going a different route actually... I have been reading up on ABS plastic molding/melting and I'm looking to go that direction. The biggest problem with my setup is that the remote did not come with the screen, so I've gotta have the buttons mounted somewhere so I can turn it off and on, adjust the screen, etc.

There are still quite a few variables in this build... I want it done like NOW, but I am not going to just blast away and throw it in there. I want it to look like it belongs there :)

I have ripped out the MDF and liquid nail from the bezel and I'm going a different route actually... I have been reading up on ABS plastic molding/melting and I'm looking to go that direction.

Check out this thread for some other options. He made a bezel out of foam, then went for it with a full blown mold & resin. Pretty slick process.

Check out this thread for some other options. He made a bezel out of foam, then went for it with a full blown mold & resin. Pretty slick process.

Excellent build he did there... Unfortunately I dont have the money to get that expensive foam and the actual build is a bit more complicated than his, but it does have some good ideas.

As for buying a cheap remote, I dont really want the possibility of loosing the remote (which I'm prone to do). So I'll find a fancy way to mount the buttons, somehow... :) It may take a while, but it will get there, its a work in progress :)

Ouch... Feelin the burn here.

:attention:

I'm going to link to this thread in that one when this is all complete, but I wanted to make a walk through type setup for others who might follow. I've seen a couple of other threads very similar as well.

Besides, I'm not sure if mine will be good enough for that thread ;)

That entire thread is a walk thru. Espec. the first 15 pages.

But don't let my comments dampen your mood.

Been there. Done that. CarPCs are cool but they are just like marriage: there is a honeymoon period after which the maintenance and headaches and a money pit.

• 2 weeks later...

Its in the car, even though its not completed... I'll have to get some pics up, but that will have to be a bit later, got classes tonight right after work, so I'll be out till LATE :( Sucks working full time and trying to get your degree. lol

It works well, just looks kinda crappy right now cause the bezel isnt completed. But its functional, and thats what I need right now.

So far I've got everything working except bluetooth cell phone. Arghh... Stupid phonecontrol.net people... Up and leaving when I finally get my carPC.

• 8 months later...

looks great. I have the same radar detector. Is that really a good place to mount it? I mounted mine just below the rearview.. I cant see it but I can sure hear it.

Btw if you dont do something about that cable you're going to have a permanent bulge in your dash pad.. beleive me.. my dash pad will never look right thanks to my carputer project and the bezel fitting a little tight on 1 side.

is that screen daylight readable? If not.. can you see it in daylight? :lol: I had a xenarc 700TSV and it was useless in sunlight.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived