LegacyGT.com

Brakes look different: HELP

Dergara

I recently got an all around brake job on My Outback XT at my local Subaru dealer. Rotors turned and new pads. The problem is that three of the brakes look the same and are wearing the same, but one rear is different. Like something is missing and it is keeping the shoe from hitting the rotor correctly. The dealer said that it was not an issue and that the mechanic probably lost the shim. Would a missing shim cause this to wear funny?

I have attached two photos, one has the shinny silver shim and looks like the three good ones, the other is a rear with a black shim and is wearing weird. If you all can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Please help, I hope this is not a safety issue.

OBXT

2090930723_Goodside.jpg.92edaaf70b8d5f8475d5b3df6be94148.jpg

different.jpg.3721586e4c71dcebe23a7ab8f4951ff7.jpg

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

rust isn't worn off because the pad isn't touching because you are missing a shim. bring it back!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

rust isn't worn off because the pad isn't touching because you are missing a shim. bring it back!

I don't think a missing shim would prevent the pad form touching the rotor. The caliper piston might take a little more pedal travel after the brake job before it touches the rotor, but that would be a one time thing.

+1, there's something up with that corner and while it looks like the shim is missing, I think the problem lies elsewhere.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I know they rust up quickly after washing or a good rain, but it usually wears away evenly after a drive. I called the dealer and told them I was bringing it back. They seemed pissed, like I should be questioning their work. I will take it back tomorrow and tell them to install the missing shim, check the caliper for sticking, and make sure the rotor was turned properly. The other three are great, I would hate for one crap brake to send me into a tail spin in the rain.

-Dante Alighieri

I would agree that one rear is not working at all. Let us know how you make out.

If they still hassel you when you get to the dealer, have them put it on a lift pull the wheels off and have someone work the brake pedal while you are watching.

You will see the caliper move as pressure is applied if it is working.

I just put LGT brakes all the way around on my Outback this weekend and during the bleeding process I could see the pads draw right up to the rotor as my wife pushed the pedal.

Should be simple to prove the stupid dealer wrong.

So I went to the dealer and they put someone on it. The put the original guy that did the brakes two weeks ago. He pulled both rear wheels and checked the shims. The passenger side was missing the outer shim on the rear, qbviously. The MISSING SHIM was behind a dark colored one on the driver side. It was found on the back side of that caliper. His bad and he admitted it.

It is funny how everyone there gave me a different answer until they pulled them apart. Now who is laughing. Maybe now the rust will wear away evenly. If not that means it is a different issue involving the caliper itself sticking. But at least the shims are straightened out.

Thanks for all your help.

-Dante Alighieri

The rust looks like it is slowly wearing away like the other one but not fast. We will see. Could it be because new pads are on the front also and they are taking most of the force.

Just to make sure they did not pull a fast one on me. Is there only one shim on the back side of the caliper or two.

Could you tell me the break down of new Subaru pads when I get them for the rear. Number of shims per side of Caliper etc.

-Dante Alighieri

Yeah, a missing shim would not cause that wear pattern. It would appear the pad was not pressing straight down on the rotor, but rather the inner part (toward hub) was raised off the disc, allowing it to rust and become pitted. I'd want that rotor replaced or resurfaced at least.

There is only one shim per pad on the rear. My stock rear shims seemed to be rubber coated steel as there was some rust visible at 48k. The fronts have two shims per pad, the inner is rust prone steel and the outer stainless steel.

BTW... these aren't really shims. They are noise (squeal) pads that are there to try and prevent the pads from vibrating.

You can install pads without them and the system would function correctly... if not, possibly, a little noisier.

Archived