LegacyGT.com

Want to go stage 2 Do I need to upgrade my brakes?

tommboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd recommend at least upgrading pads, but really you need to make sure you've got the rubber to put that torque (both going and stopping) to good use. New tires first!

Really, upgrading the brakes depends on what you're planning on doing. If you're going to be daily driving, you'll honestly probably be fine on stock brakes as long as you're not driving all crazy-like. On the other hand, if you're going to do autocross/trackdays, you'll want better pads at the very least, but this applies whether you've got stock power or stage eleventy-billion.

Money spent to help you stop better is never wasted :)

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

If I want to go stage 2 (Acessport map, downpipe and short throw) Will I need to upgrade my brakes? I don't really want to be throwing more money down but if it is neccesary for safe driving then I might.

In the beginning, a number of mods I made were because I was autocrossing. But it was a "real" road, The Tail of The Dragon, that made it indellibly clear I needed a brake upgrade.

All I've done is install Hawk HPS pads and a better brake fluid, Racing Blue. I can't imagine being without them.

My preference in tires is the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, by far.

DrewLGT: they're Prodrive PFF7s, powdercoated grey.

OP: FWIW, I'm using HPS pads like SeeeeeYa, with Motul RBF600 fluid - they're a significant improvement for a reasonable amount of money.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Stock brakes are fine for stage 2+. Once you wear through the stock pads just get some carbotech bobcats and some nice brake fluid and call it a day.

........Until you wear down your rotors than get some DBA 4000's :)

If I want to go stage 2 (Acessport map, downpipe and short throw) Will I need to upgrade my brakes? I don't really want to be throwing more money down but if it is neccesary for safe driving then I might.

uuuh...brakes should be done at day of purchase. same with tires...

yes...they both are that bad.

I've been very happy with the Hawk HPS and ATE Super Blue and Kumho SPTs. I think I may go with HP+ next time I do pads, the car is really only driven on the weekend so I can deal with a little extra dust.

I wish I had done it day of purchase as Richard B. suggested.

I was at a track event a while back with a guy who supercharged his 350z. All day long he suffered from brake fade and could not use all the power he had available to him. At the end of the day he knew what he had to do next...

I'm not sure if you track or not, but stopping is as critical and acceleration.

I went the Hawk pad route and it's a worthy upgrade from the stock pads that will eventually build up on the rotors and lead to pedal vibration. With 50k miles, the dealer has had to address this problem 3 times already. After the 3rd time, I switched to hawk pads. Problem solved for now...

I was at a track event a while back with a guy who supercharged his 350z. All day long he suffered from brake fade and could not use all the power he had available to him. At the end of the day he knew what he had to do next...

I'm not sure if you track or not, but stopping is as critical and acceleration.

I went the Hawk pad route and it's a worthy upgrade from the stock pads that will eventually build up on the rotors and lead to pedal vibration. With 50k miles, the dealer has had to address this problem 3 times already. After the 3rd time, I switched to hawk pads. Problem solved for now...

at any track event in mostly any car you're going to want better brakes at the end :lol:

i got brembos to go with my coilovers to go with my stage 2. Car should have came from the factory this way.

car for sale. PM me!

not really ALL that much, unless you have air bubbles in your fluid or its old and crappy.

however it is almost a requirement if you're going to the track. brake fluid bleed before going.

but if the wheels are off you might as well swap the pads while you're at it.

car for sale. PM me!

stock brake setup (pads, fluid, lines) is pretty lousy with even stock power. You want to make the car go faster? the answer is yes, of course you want to improve your stopping power.

big mods like upgraded rotors, calipers, thats up to you and how much $$ youre willing to spend.

OP: Depends on your purposes. Your brakes need to be upgraded if you are going to be going faster and slowing down very quickly from higher speeds more often.

I don't know what tires you have, but I agree that your tires will most likely be the limiting factor before your brakes if you are running re92's

Joe

If you know how to drive upgraded brakearen't "needed". Are they better? Yes Do I have em? No, and I am beyond stg 2. Frontend still all intact :lol:

Seriously here; it isn't YOUR knowing how to drive that is the issue, it what circumstance throws your way, including the stupidity of others, deer, and so on. The difference between, say, Hawk pad and stock is significant in reaction time, braking power, day to day consistency, and sensitivity.

Add left foot braking to your repertoire and you will have taken a quantum leap in reaction time and braking abilities. Add upgraded brakes to that and THEN you have modified the ENTIRE braking system.

In fact, I'll add one caveat: Once you are proficient at left foot braking you have to alway be very aware of what is behind you, because your braking ability will exceed the vast majority of those around you, and can can get rear ended. Ask how I know.

When it comes time to swap again mine won't be stock. It just so happened I had another set of pads thrown at me when my originals wore down. Can't beat free, especially when I have gone 30,000 miles on the originals without a real incident. I do however except aftermarket pad donations :D

Seriously here; it isn't YOUR knowing how to drive that is the issue, it what circumstance throws your way, including the stupidity of others, deer, and so on. The difference between, say, Hawk pad and stock is significant in reaction time, braking power, day to day consistency, and sensitivity.

Seeya - I have to disagree here. Aftermarket performance brake pads are not going to decrease your braking distances, increase your reaction time, or benefit your day to day consistency or sensitivity. I would wager to say quite the opposite in some cases.

Many aftermarket pads with a performance bent are not as consistent until warm and have less initial bite. Or they grab hard. But those are many pads that can handle the track.

Daily driven pads (i.e. OEM replacement or similar) tend to have the greatest consistency and cold performance. And they can just about always overpower the ability of the tires.

Joe

Archived