LegacyGT.com

Windshield cracked... warranty repair?

Hey Group,

I have an 08 Legacy Limited with just over 10K miles on it. I came out of work today to find a 10 inch long crack in my windshield! It runs from just to the left of my line of sight and all the way to the driver's side edge in a horizontal fashion. There is no spiderwebbing and I cannot find any nicks along the crack that could have been the catalyst. I think this is stress-related.

Is this something that is normally covered under warranty? I am bringing my car over to the dealer tomorrow morning.

thanks

Andy

Here's what the dealer will do...

Run a fine tipped ball point pen on the windsheild following the crack, it the ball stops in a pit/chip it will be considered impact damage, not warranty. If it doesn't it will be considered stress damage, warranty.

Run a fine tipped ball point pen on the windsheild following the crack, it the ball stops in a pit/chip it will be considered impact damage, not warranty. If it doesn't it will be considered stress damage, warranty.

+1 on that. I have also seen SOA reimburse a customer's their deductible for replacing a cracked windshield that their insurance did as a result of an impact. Each case is different though.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Well I took my car to the dealer and they did the high-precision, professional ball-point pen test. Of course the pen got caught in the crack and the service guy said it was from a rock impact, and nothing they can do about it. My crack started about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the windshield on the DS and is travelling fairly horizontally across the line of sight. He said stress cracks usually start in the corners.

I have no way to argue with him and I can't be sure he isn't wrong. I haven't had a rock hit me recently but it has happened a couple times in the last year.

He wanted to refer me to one of those places that changes your glass out while you are at work. I said no thanks and asked the dealer's collision center to replace it. My insurance deductible is $250.00.

Not much you can really do, huh?

Andy

Not really when the Insurance Adjusters also use that same method to determine if an impact hit glass.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

my window busted from a rock less then 2 weeks after owning my legacy. Luckly I worked for the dealership at the time and just took it to our glass company we contract and they put in a premium window for me which retails $400 at my price installed it was only $250 :D so far its had rocks hit it a few times and held up strong with no chips or anything. *thumbs down* to stock windshields.

Let see, my car is 3 years and 1 week old. I need to schedule another windshield replacement. Stock lasted 8 months. Replacement OEM lasted 9 months. Safelite replacement lasted 19 months. I used to average 1 every two years. Now it looks like 1 per year.

Here's what the dealer will really do...

find a "chip" or make one if they have to so its not covered

Massachusetts requiring zero deductible on glass replacement if you have comprehensive insurance for the win.

I was just going to say something similar. 0 deductible for glass replacement on my insurance even though the regular deductible is $300.

Did you check with your insurance yet to see if they actually charge a deductible for glass replacement?

Here's what the dealer will really do...

find a "chip" or make one if they have to so its not covered

:rolleyes:

No, what Opie described is what we dealers do. I perform all of mine right there with the customer and show them.

:rolleyes:

No, what Opie described is what we dealers do. I perform all of mine right there with the customer and show them.

haha i know but just from experience and hearing others stories - dealerships dont like to fix things :-P... subaru dealerships tend to be better about it than others though

haha i know but just from experience and hearing others stories - dealerships dont like to fix things :-P... subaru dealerships tend to be better about it than others though

I don't have to fix glass, I sublet them to a glass shop so it doesn't matter to me. :)

:D

In all honesty, though I have no issues taking in the tough appointments.

Archived