LegacyGT.com

Another Briton For Wrc Team Subaru?

BENCOB

It will be interesting to see what he can do, if he makes the team, after the likes of Colin McRae and Richard Burns......Source = http://www.guywilks.com/

http://www.guywilks.com/app_themes/guywilks/images/500pagebanner.jpg

British rally champion Guy Wilks is in a race against time to join the Subaru World Rally Team for the 2009 FIA World Rally Championship.

Guy, 27, from Darlington, has proved he is ready to follow in the wheel tracks of British heroes the late Colin McRae and Richard Burns who both became world champions with the iconic team.

One magazine described Guy as "the Lewis Hamilton of the rally world."

But the British rally champion needs British motorsport fans, motor clubs and British businessmen to 'Back the Brit' and help raise the £2million WRC budget Subaru require.

Foreign firms supporting foreign drivers see the huge exposure they enjoy from backing a local hero in the WRC. Guy has beaten them all.

Please join the Wilks 500 Club and watch Guy chase his world title dream. He'll do Britain proud.

You mean they did not pick me!!??!!

Man this sucks.......:rolleyes:

Keep on workin' at it, keep it up bro'......Your time will come......Peace

PS-I'll be glad to donate to your cause when you start raising ~4million USD

• 2 months later...

Subaru have confirmed that Guy would receive equal machinery to Petter Solberg and Chris Atkinson if the Wilks 500 Club can raise the finance to secure a third seat in the team next year.

Guy added: "David Richards has talked about wanting a Brit back in his team in the near future - and I want to be that Brit.

"He has achieved amazing things with Prodrive. He has made Subaru synonymous with rallying and he helped mould Colin McRae and Richard Burns into world champions.

http://www.guywilks.com/getattachment/fab2da5e-1f1a-458f-b012-9ae9d9480fb6/Subaru-test-drive.aspx

Guy heads to Norway

GUY has been invited to showcase the all-new Subaru Cup car for Subaru Norway this weekend.

The reigning British rally champion will contest Rally Larvik - round six of the Norwegian championship - in the new-shape Impreza STi.

John Haugland, organiser of Subaru Cup Norway, said: "We wanted a very fast driver with a well known name, who is also a good test-driver. Guy was the obvious choice. He is great to work with."

Guy and co-driver David Moynihan will test the car for the first time tomorrow (Thursday), ready for the 85km tarmac event on Saturday.

The car has standard transmission and a conservative engine management system and is around half the cost of a fully-blown N14.

* The Subaru Cup Norway, starting in 2009, will run over 11 rounds - seven rallies and four race meetings. Twenty two cars are being prepared for the new series, which is open to drivers from any nation.

Rally Larvik - Top 10 Entries

1 Andreas Mikkelsen/Ola Fløene Ford Focus WRC

2 Mads Østberg/Ole Kristian Subaru Impreza WRC

3 Guy Wilks/David Moynihan Subaru Impreza STi

4 Anders Grøndal/Maria Andersson Subaru Impreza WRC

5 Morten Østberg/Christian Østberg Subaru Impreza WRC

6 Sveinung Bieltvedt/Roger Eilertsen Subaru Impreza STi

7 Eyvind Brynildsen/Denis Giraudet Mitsubishi EVO 9

8 Christian August/Nils-Henrik Holmen Ford Focus WRC

9 Thomas Kvam/Stian Johnsen Ford Focus WRC

10 Martin Stenshorne/Ove Johnny Andersen Mitsubishi Evo 9

Impressive drive in Subaru Cup car

GUY demonstrated the potential of the all-new Subaru Cup car on Rally Larvik on Saturday - round six of the Norwegian national championship.

The reigning British champion wowed the crowds with a series of top-eight stage times in the standard-transmission Impreza STi, including a superb second on the final 11km test.

Arne Berg, Managing Director of Subaru Norway, said: "Guy did a splendid job for us.

"He showed the car's performance in a brilliant way and he also did a brilliant marketing job towards TV, radio, to journalists and the public.

"He is very professional and the Norwegian drivers have something to learn from him.“

Guy and co-driver David Moynihan were invited to contest Rally Larvik to promote the new-for-2009 Subaru Cup Norway.

Twenty two cars - costing around half the price of a fully-blown N14 - are being prepared for the new 11-round series.

Andreas Mikkelsen won the tarmac event in a Ford Focus RS WRC07 with Mads Ostberg second in his Subaru Impreza WRC 12B. Guy slipped from 7th to 10th overall after incurring a one-minute time penalty.

Guy said: "I was seriously impressed with the Subaru Cup car. It's a strong and reliable package and great fun to drive - it should be an exciting championship next year.

"I can't wait to get my hands on a 2008 Subaru WRC car now..."

• 4 months later...

Link = http://www.guywilks.com/News/Subaru-quit-WRC.aspx

GUY is working flat out on other options after Subaru's shock withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship.

Double British champion Guy was just hours from signing a contract with Prodrive for 2009 when the pullout was announced on Tuesday morning.

Guy said: "I'm absolutely stunned. We have been working so hard to earn this opportunity and thanks to the generosity of rally fans who backed the Wilks 500 Club and a major private investor we were so close to making it happen.

"The money was in place. The final amendments to the contract had been agreed and we were due to sign this week and hold a media lunch on Friday."

The deal would have seen Guy and co-driver Phil Pugh contest a minimum of eight rounds of the 2009 WRC as the third official factory car, starting on Rally Ireland next month.

Guy added: "It's so sad to see Subaru quit the WRC. They were the iconic team with millions of fans around the world. The WRC is part of Subaru's DNA.

"It would have been a privilege to be the first Brit since Colin and Richard to drive for Subaru and I was really look forward to working with David Richards.

"But this is now yesterday's news. We can't change it. We have to move on and work hard for tomorrow."

Wilks 500 Club members will be contacted privately in the next 10 days.

Link = http://www.guywilks.com/News.aspx

GUY was finally confirmed as double British rally champion today after an independent hearing at the RAC Club in London.

The three-man panel upheld the MSC National Court ruling to reinstate Guy as the winner of last September's Trackrod Rally Yorkshire - giving him the 20 points he needed to clinch the 2008 title.

It means Guy can at last celebrate his back-to-back title triumph after months of uncertainty. Mitsubishi Motors UK also retained its British Teams title.

Guy won every stage on the Trackrod - but was later excluded in a row over the size of a steering wheel bolt on his works Mitsubishi.

Both Guy and title rival Mark Higgins were at the hearing at the RAC Club.

Guy said: "I know in my own mind that we won it fair and square on the stages, but I have not been able to celebrate it properly...until now!

"It will be nice to see the official statement in black and white."

Guy clinched the 2008 title with three wins (Pirelli, Trackrod, Rally GB leg 1) and two second places (Isle of Man, Ulster).

Congratulations chief!

Archived