LegacyGT.com

A new trick ricers found....

Piss poor lane etiquette makes driving dangerous. I refuse to pass on the right. Ask anyone who has driven lots in Europe about how much less stressful keeping right except to pass makes driving.

As for the tiburon driver, here he would have been guilty of attempting to prevent someone from passing.

Its awesome being on the autobahn (when I was in Germany) and knowing you can flash someone the brights and they know it means a polite "please move, im faster." I did that to a lady the other day in the left land and she didnt move, i moved right to pass her and she flipped me off. I remember in drivers ed when the NY state trooper came in to talk to us he said specifically this "while passing on the right is technically wrong, most of us cops around here wont bother with a ticket simply because we know how many people dont even know the basic keep right pass left." Thankfully so, as I dont know a day on the NY highways where I havnt had to pass on the right.

In some places, like Gothenburg, Sweden the right lane may branch away at some intersections and re-appear after the intersection so there it's a good idea to keep the right lane free.

And if there are a lot of traffic entering/exiting the highway it's also a good idea to keep a lower traffic density in the right lane, so it's not completely retarded to run the middle lane.

It's slightly different on a highway going thru a city, but I am talking about rural 3-lane highways, where often right lane is mostly empty and two left lanes packed. I remember a funny situation when I going fast in the right lane and there was a single car in right lane a bit ahead of me.... he merged left to let me go. Felt like driving in the UK.

I remember in drivers ed when the NY state trooper came in to talk to us he said specifically this "while passing on the right is technically wrong, most of us cops around here wont bother with a ticket simply because we know how many people dont even know the basic keep right pass left." Thankfully so, as I dont know a day on the NY highways where I havnt had to pass on the right.

i consistently see troopers on the nj turnpike flying at like 120 in the left lane only to be slowed to 75 bc of a driver just sitting there not paying attention... i mean, he's sitting there for like 2 whole minutes and the trooper is tailgaiting!

they should be allowed to give asshat tickets... no points... just have to put on bumpersticker "i'm an asshat because i don't use the mirrors in my car, so pass me on the right!"

:whore:

too many idiot drivers who drive 65mph in the fast lane and dont move when all the other lanes (sometimes 4) are going faster than him.

Or in some cases ... a mexican road block. Sooo annoying when u get 2 to 3 cars occupying every damn lane going like 65mph.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf (Page 18)

Pass traffic on the left. You may

pass on the right only when:

• An open highway is clearly

marked for two or more lanes

of travel in your direction.

• The driver ahead of you is turning

left and you do not drive off the

roadway. Never pass on the left

if the driver is signaling a left

turn.

http://www.caldrive.com/law.html

Passing — it's quite legal to pass ("overtake") on the inside (i.e. to the right), as long as it's safe and in a properly-marked lane (i.e. only do this on multi-lane freeways and highways). Passing on the inside is pretty essential given the lack of lane discipline in California.

this 'trick'/move isn't new, it's been a nonverbal 'f-u, pal, you ain't gettin in frunna me unless i letcha' in NJ since the Model T.

Rich B has the right idea (maybe not up to 100, though), unfortunately it seems anything less than full boost may invite unwanted 'tryers' to have a go at you.

^^ I had to do that just last night because a red Tiburon was being a jackhole. What is it about kids with Tiburons? Do they actually think those things are fast?

as far as the passing on the right thing goes, it's legal in most places on freeways or anywhere with two or more lanes. I hate doing it because of unpredictable drivers, but I do it so as not to create the standing wave.

I've pretty much given up on avoiding passing on the right, as much as it pains me. I really enjoy driving in Europe, where everyone keeps good lane discipline and communicates their moves carefully. Going 200 kph on the highway in Europe is less stressful than 60 mph (half the speed) in the US.

My philosophy is this: traffic in urban areas in the US, even on the highway, is like Brownian motion. Random movement and collision of particles in a fluid. The only really effective way to reduce risk is reduce exposure time. Get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. The best defensive driving is offensive driving.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I've pretty much given up on avoiding passing on the right, as much as it pains me. I really enjoy driving in Europe, where everyone keeps good lane discipline and communicates their moves carefully. Going 200 kph on the highway in Europe is less stressful than 60 mph (half the speed) in the US.

My philosophy is this: traffic in urban areas in the US, even on the highway, is like Brownian motion. Random movement and collision of particles in a fluid. The only really effective way to reduce risk is reduce exposure time. Get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. The best defensive driving is offensive driving.

Bingo! When I approach a dog pack on a highway, I try to pass it and pull away as quickly as possible. Sometimes requires zigzaging thru traffic, which I hate, but that's a lesser evil.

^^ I had to do that just last night because a red Tiburon was being a jackhole. What is it about kids with Tiburons? Do they actually think those things are fast?

as far as the passing on the right thing goes, it's legal in most places on freeways or anywhere with two or more lanes. I hate doing it because of unpredictable drivers, but I do it so as not to create the standing wave.

i will pass on the right but with other traffic i try to do it in the gaps of the lane over just in case they wanna do the ol cut the blinker on and immediately jerk the damn car over as if there is a couch in the road. soo many retards out there. i can go on and on about the crap i see all the time.

wait till you gen ran off the road by a pos 80 my accord then they try racing you as you are on the shoulder. evidently i was in the carpool lane and he had to be there with just him and his dog. then 30 seconds later some kids in a tc do the exact same damn thing and again try racing me while i am on the shoulder. did i mention there was a lone driver in a protege blocking the carpool lane i was in and tried racing me while i was getting away from the other 2 morons?

trust me...full boost doing 100 puts a good distance on those retards.

i did NOTHING to provoke any of this.

what i really think it comes down to is that people make poor car purchase decisions. they hate you for having what you have. guys driving mini vans usually drive like their nuts have been detached by wife and therefore HAVE to go out of their way and let you know how imasulated they are. same for anyone driving some clunker that is 20 years old. just a fact of driving i guess.

this 'trick'/move isn't new, it's been a nonverbal 'f-u, pal, you ain't gettin in frunna me unless i letcha' in NJ since the Model T.

Rich B has the right idea (maybe not up to 100, though), unfortunately it seems anything less than full boost may invite unwanted 'tryers' to have a go at you.

that's it man...

you are right though...100 may be a bit much but it's worked so far. i get anything from anybody always "trying" when i pass. from 1980's accords to new minivans, suvs, etc...anyone notice that the slower the car is the more they try to race?

fwiw i had a work van "try" to "pass" from behind getting to the interstate today. there are 2 on ramps that merge into 1. the a-holes LOVE getting on it so they can cut you off or block you from merging. only had to do 60. but the pos in front of me was going retardedly slow.

there are just very bad drivers out there every where every day.

That's true and I ******* hate that. I was driving down to the beach in a two-car caravan and the 3 lane highway becomes 2 lanes and some asshole in an xB is on the left lane in front of us with NO ONE in front of him in BOTH LANES. I'm following my friend and the xB is in front of him, so after a couple minutes, my friend goes on the right lane to pass, and I follow. Suddenly the asshole on the left speeds up and a car is coming up on our lane and we both switch back to the left in front of the xB.

So apparently, my other friend riding passenger said I cut the xB off when he rolls up next to us on our right with his window down talking to us as if we can hear him going 75-80 mph and our windows up. He was white and I noticed he had some rimz and had a gangstur driving posture leaning out the window. He looked like a douche and my friend said he had a 'daterape' face lol.

Bingo! When I approach a dog pack on a highway, I try to pass it and pull away as quickly as possible. Sometimes requires zigzaging thru traffic, which I hate, but that's a lesser evil.

+1, even though I look like an asshole to everyone else.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Archived