LegacyGT.com

OpenECU Pro-tune

cfdrumr

I like to read the posts by both Boostjunkie and Infamous1. I am looking at getting an open-source dyno tune for my 05 manual. I've got a perrin pulley, crucial uppipe, and an XO2 CBE. The shop here charges $460, so that some of you know that Boost is in line with market pricing. They tell me that:

ok..here's the deal on tuning the LGT with manual, or auto trans:

We can tune the car, however the ROM for the manual trans-equipped car does not allow us to give it full boost levels in first gear. This is only because the open source ROM does not allow us to do anything with boost in first gear.. With the AccessPort that is a non-issue because the Cobb software allows full control over tuning the ROM.

What would I lose by not having boost in first gear? Any insight into the guy's comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmm.. sounds fishy. My open ecu tune hits target boost in 1st gear just fine. Sure, it doesn't hit it before 3krpms like other gears (since 1st gear happens so fast), but I know I'm right on the targets by around 4krpm.

Cobb doesn't have per-gear-WGDC or per-gear-target boost, do they?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Were either of those 07-08 LGT's (or spec.b)? Any idea what the 2007-08 cars are putting out with a custom tune?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I believe 07+ LGTs and the 08+ WRX/STI opentuning crowd are still waiting for for the Tactrix cable that works with the new communication system Subaru and others are switching to. What is it, CAN/BUS or whatever?

I guess if you know something that has a new AP, you could use that cable for tuning? Although I think there was something about the new cable not being able to be used for logging anymore, unlike the APV1 cable which could be used for tuning/logging.

I'm outta date on the whole discussion, other than knowing Tactrix has pushed back the release date four month so far.

I like to read the posts by both Boostjunkie and Infamous1. I am looking at getting an open-source dyno tune for my 05 manual. I've got a perrin pulley, crucial uppipe, and an XO2 CBE. The shop here charges $460, so that some of you know that Boost is in line with market pricing. They tell me that:

ok..here's the deal on tuning the LGT with manual, or auto trans:

We can tune the car, however the ROM for the manual trans-equipped car does not allow us to give it full boost levels in first gear. This is only because the open source ROM does not allow us to do anything with boost in first gear.. With the AccessPort that is a non-issue because the Cobb software allows full control over tuning the ROM.

What would I lose by not having boost in first gear? Any insight into the guy's comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is a known problem in the 522N ROMs and has been fixed by merchgod. Your tuner needs to send him the ROM and he'll fix it. BTW, boostjunkie puts in more time than you even pay for, trust me $400 is a totally worth it.

Street vs dyno:

First off IME you can see subtle changes in whp on the street, you just have to do the runs back to back on the same stretch of road. Then plot accel. I will admit though that AVCS tuning is easier on a load bearing dyno.;)

It really depends on what roads you have. I can drive a couple mins from my house and do 120 mph runs all day long, many cannot.

No hills, potholes, wind, bugs, dogs, kids on bikes, old ladies in Buicks or cops with radar guns when you dyno tune. A dyno might not be "real world" but it's a consistent measuring tool and that's what it's all about IMHO. My Evo has seen probably 100 dyno pulls in the last 3 years...nothing has gone boom yet...not that it never will, but I would never consider a road tune unless it's a closed course - like last minute stuff on track days. Just too many factors out of your control. To each his own though. In the end it's the tuner and not the tuning method that determines the quality of the work.

Archived